Pain Management Community
Encephalomalacia related to chronic pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I am looking for information on the possibility of brain atrophy being a cause of chronic back pain.  This involves a bullet that is still in the brain of a friend after 15 yrs.   She is a paraplegic but complains of constant back pain.  Her radiological studies of the spine do not show anything that would be a pain generator.  Could it be the atrophy that is showing on a CT of the brain along the bullett track?
Hi JJ,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your friend.

The brain is a complex organ that is still not completely understood. I am not an expert but it would make sense to me that her pain may be related to the brain trauma along with positional and muscle pain.

Imagine not be able to reposition your self at well. Muscle, tendons and ligaments surrounding the spine can spasms and hurt as they atrophy and remain inactive. Is your friend in a good rehab and PT Program? If so this can cause back pain as well as not moving. Your friend has a right to be as comfortable as possible. I hope they are receiving pain medications to ease the discomfort.

Your friend is fortunate to have your concern. I hope he/she will find a solution to their pain and obtain some treatment.

Peace,
Tuck