Pain Management Community
Extended release morphine with a gastric bypass surgery... do they go t...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extended release morphine with a gastric bypass surgery... do they go together?

My pain management doctor took me off the fentanyl patch after I had complained about feeling "loopy" all the time and breaking out from the patch, He then prescribed morphine 15mg extended release 2 times a day. Anyway, I had a gastric bypass weight loss surgery in 2008 and I remembered the Doctor saying to me that extended release medication will not be effective anymore because of the intestines being cut or shortened. I can not remember why exactly but does anyone know for sure about this? I would really like to get information so I can let my PM doc. know. Thank you
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
That's right, because of the decrease in the  intestine length makes it likely that extended-release preparations pass through the gastrointestinal tract before absorption is complete. Good thing you remembered that.

Probably have to have instant- release or didn't they use to make morphine patches?? Here's a link for an article about this.

http://www.ajhp.org/content/63/19/1852.full

These same principles can also apply to delayed-release and enteric-
Blank
I agree, with the bypass surgery, you will have trouble absorbing many things and the extended release medication is more than likely, not going to work. If you can't take the fentnyl patch, (I don't know anything about the morphine patch) maybe check into Oxycodone, they do make it in liquid form that may be a good alternative for you. Good luck to you.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...