Pain Management Community
Extreme Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Extreme Pain

I was involved in a fatal car accident in 1983. I was asleep and a passenger in the car and I woke up in the car after the accident, the accident was horrific and I have night mares and flash backs. Both my femurs where shattered one was compound and came out of leg and went through muscle, it has left me with a hernia and I cannot feel side of legs due to scar tissue. Also my right fibula tib was shattered. Altogether I had 37 Screws and 3 plates in my legs. I have had most of the metal removed but some of the screws where left in the right femur 5 screws and one in left, as surgeon could not remove them, so the screw shafts are still in legs.  I was 17 when this happened and am now 44.  In the last five years I have experienced total stiffness in legs. Shooting pains (like toothache down my legs and a nagging aching pain which gets me frustrated) Sometimes I find it hard to walk as my legs stiffen up, it comes and goes but I have a nagging aching in my leg that has never been there before.  My orthopaedic surgeon says I have osteo arthritis, another one said he is not sure where pain comes from? And my surgeon in london in 1985 after my second operation said when I get older I would have problems due to the high impact of the trauma.  I take gabbapentin when pain gets worse and other pain killers but I try and leave them alone. Becuase I have PTSD and bi polar depression.  Can anyone advise me what is happening here.
I think your ortho surgeon is correct in that your pain is coming from osteoarthritis.  Most people don't understand how incredibly painful arthritis can become until it happens to themselves.  I have it in my hips and it feels exactly the same way you describe - as if a flamethrower was shooting from my hips to my heels.

I don't think your arthritis is a result of the retained hardware.  That's all buried in new bone by now and actually makes your leg stronger.  Arthritis is just the unfortunate long-term result of bone injury.  In addition to the gabapentin, are you taking any anti-inflammatories?  That's the first line of defense for arthritis pain.  A Cox-II inhibitor like Celebrex may help you out if you can get them in the UK.