Pain Management Community
Fainting spell due to Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Fainting spell due to Pain

Any time I experience pain, mild or extreme, and any time I see blood loss, like a cut or on my menstration cycle, I tend to have a fainting spell. Sometimes I can catch myself and stop it if I drink something sugary- like soda or juice- but most of the time it's too late. I recently cut my foot on glass and had to go to the emergency room to stop the bleeding and get it stitched up. After trying to hobble around the house and the store, I have had two fainting spells- one of which was quite extreme.

For a normal fainting spell I experience a general heaviness in my limbs, a warm sensation that starts at the top of my head and then onto the rest of my body, and then I lose conscienceness. From what witnesses tell me, I then make a moaning or humming sound, my eyes roll back into my head and my face turns white, I shake and stiffen up, then I relax and look like I'm sleeping.

However, this last fainting spell I experienced some different symptoms. When I came out of it, there was a loud whooshing sound that prevented me from hearing my panicked boyfriend's voice. Also, I was seeing a tint of red which has never happened before. All of these things make me very nervous and scared. Please, help. I've been dealing with this since I was young and I would like to have some control over my body. I have had neurological tests, CAT scans, you name it I've done it, and it all turns out clean.

Could this happen while driving? Is the fainting actually connected to any time I feel pain or lose blood? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
Hi!

What you suffer from is probably a vasovagal syncope or a vasovagal attack. The complex group of symptoms are mediated by the vagus nerve. This nerve is irritated by prolonged standing, standing up suddenly, stress, pain, hunger, dehydration, intense emotion etc (in your case its probably due to seeing blood).  A tilt table test, holter monitor, echocardiogram etc are done for confirmed diagnosis. Discuss this with your doctor.

To avoid the spell you can sit down immediately and place your head between the knees. Let the episode pass. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!