Pain Management Community
Fentanyl patch covers and tape products

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Fentanyl patch covers and tape products

One of the most common questions that pops up here is from people who have difficulty keeping the fentanyl patch in place.  Lost and ruined patches can be a terrible problem for both the patient and the doctor.  We all know early refills of any pain medication are problematic no matter what the reason.

I have used the Nexcare brand bandages for years as covers for the fentanyl patch.  They were the only bandages that kept the patch in place for the full 3 days.  Since they're made with Tegaderm, these bandages are waterproof yet allow for oxygen exchange.  This material was made with burn patients in mind.  I've never experienced skin irritation problems or had trouble keeping them on.  They're also great for covering up surgical wounds for bathing purposes.  My orthopedic surgeon gave me a handful of Tegaderm squares and told me to use them over the wounds so I could shower immediately after surgery.  Heaven!

I was at the pharmacy the other day to replenish my supply, and saw that Nexcare has an even better product available.  It's the same Tegaderm material but in tape form.  The dispenser is just like a scotch tape dispenser so you don't need to fool with scissors.  Works great, less waste, and the roll of tape should last longer than a box of bandages meaning less money out of my pocket.

Just wanted to pass the word for those who have trouble keeping the patch on or experiencing difficulty with wound care.  End of public service announcement.  LOL!
Thanks Jaybay! I know this will help a lot of members here that use the patch:)
Is your pharmacy a chain store? I am really having a sticking problem with the 100 deg heat we are having.
I have found that specific CVS stores sell the 3M brand of transparent dressings in boxes of 10 for under  $10. For me though, I have found that those don't have as much "staying power" and the Invacare brand of transparent dressings have a much stronger adhesive without an irritation to the skin. It was way too expensive for me to continue to buy individual transparent dressings at the medical supply store (at about 70 cents a dressing, and I change my patch every 2 days), so I found a few websites online that sell a box of 100 for less than 50 bucks. That cut the price down drastically and it only takes some good searching from google to find these medical supply discounters. I have used two companies that were very great to do business with.
I've seen the Nexcare tape at Walgreens, CVS and the larger grocery stores like Kroger and the Texas chain of HEB grocery stores.  I personally like the tape better because it doesn't take much to go around the edges of the patch.  Hope it works as well for other folks as it does for me!