Pain Management Community
Finally left primary care doctor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Finally left primary care doctor

Hi everyone,

I went to my MDs office for an appointment and because there was traffic and I was 5 minutes late they wouldn't take me by appointment and I hate to wait as a walk in, which at this clinic generally means you're there all day and may not even get seen. I was in tears as this is the clinic that can't seem to fax over my referrals, is unavailable for other doctors to talk to, and that does not give faxes directly to my pcp but puts them in my chart, so my free prescription coverage program could not be finished without her signature and again I'm stuck paying $120 a month for this script.

I was going to ask her for a different pain medication, although she does suspect I'm a drug addict, but when I last went to the ER I got precribed 6 percocet, I on occasion for the past 2 weeks took one a day and that was all I needed! The vicodin doesn't do anything anymore and it seems pointless to take it every 4 hours, so to find this was amazing.

I got desperate and went to the ER today and actually had an OK experience, although I was there for 6 hours. The doctor gave me anotgher referral for a PCP and refilled all the scripts I needed, without thinking of me as a drug addict or psych case. All I had to do was be honest, upfront, and me. So I have a little hope.

I feared that if my old PCP did not give me this medication, which there was a good chance of, I would have to be homebound again because the pain was getting bad. But the past 4 days have been a miracle. I've been able to go outside, hang out with friends, and actually function. I am just seeing a glimpse of hope and feel like I can make it to my rheumatologist appointment on the 15th now.

Just wanted to post my hopeful outlook for once! Thank you all again so much for your support, I wouldn't have made it through last week without you guys!

Sara
Fewer and fewer PCP's are prescribing anything beyond a couple of Tylenol #3's for pain. They are frightened of the new regulations, and of the accusations from authorities of being an inappropriate prescriber.

You might need a Pain Management doctor if you don't already have a good one.  Good luck.  Hope you find someone good.  
Thanks peekawho!
I absolutely agree with Peekawho. A good PMP may be the answer for you as I said in your other post. It is getting tougher to find a physician that is not afraid to treat their chronic pain patients.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck