Pain Management Community
Flexor tendinitis or carpal tunnel?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Flexor tendinitis or carpal tunnel?

Does this sound like flexor tenditis to you?

When I click or type, I can see--and feel--movement under the skin on the back of my hand that extends down to my wrist. The pain in the front center and back center of my wrist. As I move it, it becomes more and more tense, but if I pop my wrist by throwing my hand backwards or by gripping it and moving it back, it makes an audible pop and the tension is relieved until I move again. The joints of my fingers are stiff; specifically, the two finger joints of the pinky, the top joint of the ring finger, the central joint of the middle finger and sometimes the knuckle and central joint of the index finger. My thumb's central joint can be popped but causes no pain or tightness.

Pressing my hand flat on a surface and forcing it to remain there causes tightness at the wrist and I can feel what can only be described as a 'spring effect' at the knuckles when I release. Likewise, when opening my hand, I can feel a tightness at the base of my knuckles and the central joint of my middle finger refuses to go straight unless with effort. This is what I describe as 'stiff'. It's not that it won't go so much as it feels like there's a counterpull stopping it from going and putting pressure on my finger joints. There's no swelling.

Is the wrist popping tendons moving?

This is the hand I use to move/click with the mouse.

Note: I tried carpal tunnel testing. Pressing the wrists together with the hand down has no effect except to make my ring finger feel tight (it does anyway). Pressing them together from the front, as if praying, causes my central joints to lift in an A-shape as the hand is lowered, causing an uncomfortable pulling effect and wrist pain. The hand is tight and shaky, not electrical.
Symptoms usually start gradually, with frequent burning, tingling, or itching numbness in the palm of the hand and the fingers, especially the thumb and the index and middle fingers. Some carpal tunnel sufferers say their fingers feel useless and swollen, even though little or no swelling is apparent. The symptoms often first appear in one or both hands during the night, since many people sleep with flexed wrists. A person with carpal tunnel syndrome may wake up feeling the need to "shake out" the hand or wrist. As symptoms worsen, people might feel tingling during the day. Decreased grip strength may make it difficult to form a fist, grasp small objects, or perform other manual tasks. In chronic and/or untreated cases, the muscles at the base of the thumb may waste away. Some people are unable to tell between hot and cold by touch.

Symptoms of Flexor Tendonitis
An inability to bend one or more joints of the finger
Pain when you bend your finger
Mild swelling over the joint closest to your fingertip

From these symptoms I found online it sounds as if it is carpal tunnel to me. Of course others will post their opinions too.
Hi and welcome to the Pain Management Forum at MedHelp. I am very sorry to hear about the pain and symptoms you are having in your hands and wrists.

Obviously you need to have a complete work up by a orthopedic or neurologist. One that preferable specializes in disorders of the hands. You could have both conditions, CT and Flexor Tendinitis. It is not impossible nor all that rare to suffer from both conditions. They often coexist with carpal tunnel syndrome and occasionally with fibrosis of the palmar fascia. Pathologic changes begin with a thickening or nodule within the tendon. The thickening or nodule blocks smooth extension or flexion of a finger. The finger may lock in flexion, or “trigger,” suddenly extending with a snap. This usually is a symptom of tendinitis. It is possible that you could have a condition that is neither CT or Flexor Tendonitis. There are other conditions that can cause your symptoms.

Treatments for pain and inflammation of Flexor Tendinitis includes splinting, moist heat, and anti-inflammatories. Sometimes injections of steroids into the area is required. If all treatments fail than surgery may be the last resort. These treatments are similar to those for CT.

You do not mention a numbness or feeling like your hand or digits are "sleeping". This is usually a cardinal symptom of CT. I had CT and have had the surgery to correct the condition. I encourage you to obtain a consult soon regarding the symptoms you are experiencing. Unfortunately if left untreated either of these conditions can cause permanent damage to nerves or other structures.

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing. We will watch with interest for your updates. Take care and please keep in touch.  Tuck

Making a fist isn't painful. Opening the hand is. I'm not numb...simply stiff/tight. I can tell the difference between hot and cold.

Are there tendons on the back of your hand that are seperate for opening? If so, it's tendinitis.