Pain Management Community
Fractured rib or something else...?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Fractured rib or something else...?

Hoping someone can help. In May of this year, I had a chest infection and very bad cough, I am skinny & when I had the infection I got sudden pain in my left ribcage and could hear a crackling sound every time I breathed in and out. I ended up at NHS 24 to be told that I had fractured my rib during coughing and was given some tablets.

The crackling noise disappeared within a week or so. However 5 months down the line I still get niggling pain that tends to happen every so often, and I have also realised that the rib feels like it has a lump on it (like how it did in the beginning.)

Is it possible to still have rib pain 5 months down the line? And could the lump be from the rib not healing properly?

Any advice would be great.