Pain Management Community
From Norco to Fentanyl Patches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

From Norco to Fentanyl Patches

Hi all!

So glad I found you here!

I have been taking appx 7 10/325 Norcos per day for many months now. I went to a Pain Mgmt Doctor yesterday for an evaluation. I have severe knee issues and a recent gastric bypass that prohibits me from taking anti-inflammatory meds (can cause ulcers in the newly created pouch).

The doctor has prescribed the following:

1 25 mcg Patch 3 days at a time.

1 .12 mcg Patch-if the 25 isn't quite enough

1 Norco 10/325  2x per day if needed for breakthrough pain.

Looking at my previous dosing of about 7 per day of the Norco and cutting over to this new configuration-is there anything you can tell me?

I know it can take up to 24 hours for the drugs to hit our system-and days for it to really get in there. Will I need more than the two Norcos per day directly after application of the patch due to the time it takes for the fentanyl to hit the system?

I have researched quite a bit and I have found the "conversion" tools to try to understand what a "like for like" I am dealing with, but I really don't understand the charts.

I really appreciate anything you can tell me on this. I am, of course-a bit afraid to start the new patches not being sure about the Norco dosage to stop.

Also-any of your experiences good or bad are welcome!!

Peace,
I 25 mcg Fentanyl patch is equivalent to 8 10/325 Norco's.  Once you apply the patch it should take about 8 hours to start working.  Good luck.

Lizzy
Hi Lizzy!

You are so nice to have checked this out for me! I really appreciate it and it helps me feel better about what I am taking.

Take care!!

Your welcome.

Also, try to purchase the brand name instead of generic if you can.  The brand name seems to last longer.  I sure hope the doctor explained to you where you should put the patches so they stick and don't easily come off.  If they do come off before the third day make sure to save it and show your doctor if you have to go in early for a refill.  This will keep you in good graces with your doctor.  Good luck!

Lizzy
where is the best place for the patch,do you find patches better then oxycodone
Hi Newpatchgirl--I saw you in another forum--we both use the patches etc.--Hoping you try the Sandoz grand generic--works for me--pills are OK, but I like to put it on(patch) and forget it--Good Luck--whitfield
I have never used oxycodone so can't comment on that part of your question, but as for placement of the patch - once again, everyone is different.  The first consideration is to put it somewhere that you don't have a lot of sweat issue with.  Why?  Because if you sweat enough, the patch will slide off.  Lots of people use covers like those made with Tegaderm to keep them in place while outside sweating or swimming.  Me, I use my rib cage because of the lack of sweat issue there, and no underwear will rub on it and roll the patch off, and nobody should be able to ever have to see the patch is on my body.  Lots of people use upper arms, but that's just too visible for my comfort.  You'd be surprised how many scumbags will try to "accidentally" take a patch right off your body.  For that reason, the more hidden, the better in my point of view anyway.