Pain Management Community
GENERIC OXYCONTIN?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

GENERIC OXYCONTIN?

I've been reading some recent posts and must admit I am confused...
First let me say I live in Canada
My presc. is labeled OXYCONTIN on the top part
and OXYCODONE HYDROCHIORIDE beneath
So someone please clarify am I on oxycontin OR
the GENERIC form of???
why does it say BOTH on my bottle? And is this presc. EXTENDED RELEASE  or NOT...my pdoc said it was a 12 hr med. so I always have assumed that to mean extended release.
Oxycontin is the brand name for the medication and yes it is extended release. Now the oxycodone ER is the generic version and if that's listed on your bottle then your most likley taking the generic version. Your pharmacist will tell you which generic brand your taking. As far as I know only malikroft is allowed to make the generic form of oxycontin.
When you get a generic your RX bottle will list the name brand and the generic name under it.
Call your pharmacist and they will tell you:)
I don't know the labeling laws Canada. But I would think if it is a generic it would be indicated some how as Sandee described.

I was curious so I have my father's bottle in hand. He lives with me and I take care of him. It simple says, "Oxycontin" along with the dose. Beneath the "Oxycontin" it says, "MFG Purdue Frederick." I assume his is not the generic. I also assume that generic is not available because he signed a paper at the pharmacy requesting all medications to be generic whenever possible. Does that sound correct to you Sandee? I am not familar with the drug and have never taken it.

I hope this information is helpful.
Tuck
Not all pharmacies have the generic and when they do they will fill it generic unless you the patient tells then otherwise. I personally do not find the generic to be as good as the brand name and choose to pay the extra for the brand name. Your correct Tuck your Dad is taking the brand as Purdue is the only company that makes the brand name.
If it was filled generic it would be listed as Oxycontin and below that it would say oxycodone ER or oxycodone SA.
I am not really sure who is making the generic other than Malikroft at this point. Ethex was making it but is no longer allowed to. As I said Purdue sued the generic companies saying they broke patent laws and won.
I will check tomorrow and see who is making the generic.
thx sandee and tuck...guess it is the generic I am on than, was curious, I will ask a few more questions next time I refill....I would imagine my insurance co. will only pay for generic when its avail but will see. thx again
-- This is not regarding info on your Oxycotin per se ... I just thought I would comment on a possible 'difference' between the two kinds, a problem others may find. I was taking the regular (not generic) Oxy for several years when I was given the generic. I first noticed the appearance and wondered what might be added (as fillers?) to alter the size of the pillls. In any case, I not only found the generic to be less potent, I ended up having an allergic reaction to something added to it. I got warm, began swelling and itching ... my typical reaction scenario!  Personally, I tend to be suspicious of generics.

Regards to all ~~
Your correct that the generic companies use different fillers. I had a bad reaction to some also. I can not tolerate the generics as the fillers do not agree with me and the PM doctor started writing medically necessary for the brand name.
I always got the brand name regardless though as they tend to work better for me.
This too is a bit off the post subject but.....Sandee and Slenderthread you are so correct about generics and manufacturing process. There is a certain type of penicillin that I react to horribly. Swelling, wheezing, hives, etc. When this happened some years ago my than PCP labeled me allergic to penicillin. As I developed multiple allergies to ATB (antibiotics) it was decided I should see an allergist to test me for a true penicillin allergy. It was confirmed I was not allergic to it.

I took penicillin several times over many years until one day I reacted severely again to a label I had not used for years. I assured my PCP (a different one) that it was just that formula used in that particular penicillin and was sure that this was the drug I took that I experienced the initial reaction. (there's a specific name for it that escapes me right now)  My PCP found it impossible to beleive that it was the fillers that I reacted to...so back to the allergist that again confirmed I was not allergic to penicillin.

The point of this story is to say that sometimes it certainly does make a difference how the drug is manufactured and/or what fillers are added.    
How true!! ... And something everyone should be aware of ... the supposedly 'same' med is not always the SAME. Your experience is a testimonial to the bodies unique and indiviual natures.  It's unfortunate that Dr's. must be convinced -- there is an entire 'world' they do not know about the pharmacuticals they prescribe!!  Caution, vigilence  and education (on our part) is crucial...    

~ST~
I also wanted to add that Ethex was the best generic for oxycodone but they have been out of production for sometime now. The DEA shut them down temporarily.
There also was one generic oxycontin that was very good and they were called ABC"s which is actually made by Perdue too.
I am going to start a post on generic medications that will keep us up to date on which ones work well and those that do not.
So many medications we take are available in generic and mostly I get the name brand because I fear the generic ones may not work as well as the brand name.
You can save a lot of money on the generics but if they do not work well what is the use of the savings.
So look for the post and list the generics you have done well with.
thanks Sandee that post would be very helpful.
I noticed you mentioned the generic form of oxy was larger than other, my tablet is a light blue in color and vry tiny.
Of course these meds differ in countries too somewhat, however I'm sure ours here in Canada would be supplied by the same US manufacturer
Are you taking the 30 mg?
Its a small blue tablet made by Malinkroft.
No the tablets are 5mg each
Hi Opus88,
I do not believe there is an oxycontin that's 5 mg. I could be wrong as I have been before:)
As far as I know the only 5mg oxycodone is the IR version and the oxycodone 5 mg.
Of course there are the versions with Tylenol in them.
I will check but I am sure I have never heard of a 5mg oxycontin.
A while back Red told me they had started making the 30mg oxycontin which I was unaware of so I could be mistaken.
remember I am in Canada so many medications will differ here
I am sure they are 5mg tablets tiny and light blue color, bottle reads OXYCONTIN than beneath OXYDOCDONE ....
the percocet I also take is 5/325 and is a white table the size of an adult aspirin.
I will be at the pharmacy next week and will question the pham. better...no need to go to alot of extra trouble on this you have already been very helpful
gooday everyone