Pain Management Community
Giving gift on first visit...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Giving gift on first visit...

Is it okay to give you're pain managment doctor a gift on your first visit,  just like a small coin from my military unitor will they just think that I want to score drugs off of them?
Tags: Pain
wait. why do you want to first visit? You already guess what the doc might think---why open that possibility----wait until there is "some" relationship or yes it might look funny. Omhome
It's not necessary to bribe your doctor, especially on the first date! Seriously though, i agree with omhome, wait until you have an actual relationship. you may not even like the doctor, or the practice, and never go there again. Just wait and see what happens after a few visits, and then decide to give a gift.
In answer to your questions about giving your doctor 'gifts' on your first visit....
I have worked in the medical profession for over 21 years and I have found that writing a letter to the hospital director is the most effective gift you can give to the providing doctor. (Most doctors have an ego and when they are recognized by their peers and staff and patients, this provides respect for the doctor at hand)
Writing to the hospital director can do many things to add to the doctors credibility. It can increase funds to that clinic, it provides respect among the medical community which is in rare supply and it creates a strong patient trust with this doctor. I highly6 recommend this as I have done this many time and also complained to the hospital director about the lack of care from a doctor. This is 'usually' checked into by the hospital director although some hospitals just pass this on to the doctor and let the doctor answer any complaints. (that is the poor way to do anything when you have a complaint and the hospital director does not take the time to investigate) When this happens, drop the doctor!
Letters to the hospital director do a lot when the hospital cares about the patients needs and concerns and compliments. If the hospital cares about the patients concerns, the hospital can 'reward' this doctor in their own way and that is what most doctors need now a days. Trust from within from patients who care.
I am just reaching here, first day in this community, but why would you give a doctor anything......except to make sure his/her bill was paid within 30 days of getting it.

I think maybe the poster might not have a lot of self esteem to be treated just because they are a human being in pain.  

Please leave the gifts at home, say Thank You when you leave the office
and that should be enough

Good luck

M
I agree with madman the best thing you could do for a good doctor is a letter of recommendation are complements like he says it boost the Egos les they don't get it much appreciation I'm sure other than a thank you from a patient so nice letter to the boss would go a long way. A lot of places have regulations about accepting gifts from patients and it's not allowed it would be considered a bribe and on the first visit? I would think why would you want to give a gift on your first visit it might ook a little suspicious or seem silly in the eye of the doctor or the staff. And can I ask what the doctor did to deserve a gift if you haven't seen 'em yet you don't even know if you are going to like the doctor or the staf.