Pain Management Community
Good Pain Managment in South Dakota?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Good Pain Managment in South Dakota?

Is there anywhere in South Dakota that will actually treat you like a pain patient and not just an addict? I live in the Black Hills, theres one hospital chain here and ONE Pain Managment clinic that outlawed me from rescheduling because of a snow storm!!! i have fibro and a couple herniated discs. any help would be appreciated, even within 5 state region.
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. I don't know how much assistance I can be to you.

In Wisconsin it is our PCP that treat, prescribe and follow their PM patients. PMP do not prescribe nor "follow" us. It's my understanding that you must be a resident of the state in order to obtain more than an emergency narcotic prescription or continued PM care. However I am not sure of the state law.

I would suggest you call neighboring state clinics and ask if they will treat you. It use to be that the physician required prescriptions "rights" in the state in order to fill a prescription. However with the proliferation of national pharmacies like Walgreen's I know that requirement has changed to some degree. I did check to make sure that I could re-fill my Vicodin RX in FL that originates in WI.  

So you may want to just make some calls and see what information you can obtain. Good luck to you.  Our members may have other information or suggestions for you.

~Tuck~
Have you tried googling "pain management in South Dakota". I'm sure that you'll find a host of clinics...especially in a 5 state radius..

Good luck,
Mollyrae
I am sorry your having to look so far from home for help. I believe I remember your saying how you lost your PM doctor. the snow storm and not being able to get there.
That was so unprofessional and  feel like the doctor just abandoned you. There are laws against things like this.
I would try google like MR suggested. There are several pain management foundations too that list good doctors. I will list some for you if you would like.
I wish you the best of luck and don't give up there are great doctors out there:)
These are some I found at the site called raceaginstpain.
As I said I know of several foundations that list good PM doctors. Get back with me if I can help:)

Avera St. Lukes Pain Mgmnt
Heloise Westbrook M.D.
Aberdeen, SD  

Innovative Pain Center
Patrick Retterath M.D.
Watertown, SD  

Brookings Pain Management Center
John Cook M.D.
Fred Fisher M.D.
Brookings, SD  

Rapid City Regional Pain Management
Troy Nesbit M.D.
Steve Frost M.D.
Rapid City, SD  

Rehab Docs
Brett Lawlor M.D.
Rapid City, SD  

Siouxland Surgery Center Pain Clinic
Fred Fisher M.D.
Dakota Dunes, SD  

Avera St. Luke's Pain Management Center
Aberdeen, SD