Pain Management Community
Hand Pain -- All over. Wondering If It's Nerve Damage...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I stabbed my hand between my thumb and pointer finger while I was carving a wood block last year, and now the pain is just all over. The tendon below my thumb hurts, my pinky hurts periodically, also the muscle in my palm below it. The pain will extend all the way up my thumb sometimes, and I can't find a way to make the pain stop! I have to write a lot in school, and frequently have to switch hands because of the pain. Could somebody please help me try and identify what got cut by the knife blade and what I can do the ease the pain? The puncture wasn't even that big! How can something so small hurt so much...?

~Seth
Hi Seth,

Welcome to the Pain Management Community. I am sorry to hear that your hand is so painful. And I am sorry that it has gotten worse. Is it possible that it is not related to the "small" cut that you endured? If you use your hands a lot it may be possible that you have developed a carpel tunnel or similar condition.

It is very difficult to determine what structure you may have injured. I encourage you to make an appointment with your PCP for a good clinical examination. Your PCP will most likely request a MRI or CT scan to have a better look at what you may have injured.

Best of luck to you in your recovery. Please let us know how you are doing. I will be interested to learn about the results of your exam.
Peace, Tuck