Pain Management Community
Hand tremors and sharp pain in wrist/arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hi!
I have been having very sharp pains in my wrist quite regularly as of late. Almost every day, although usually in the middle of work.
It begins in the middle of my wrist, sometimes runs up my thumb, and shoots halfway down my arm. The pain will usually last for about 10 minutes, leave off for a bit, and then return.
I thought perhaps carpal tunnel syndrome was a possibility, but I haven't experienced any numbness or tingling that I recall.
I don't know if it's related, but I also have had several episodes of hand spasms that last about ten minutes. I had about 3 in a two week period this month, and they were all painless.
I'm 21 years old, a woman, and I don't do much 'hard labor". No hammers or drills for me!

If anybody can give me an idea of what this might be caused by, that would be great.
Thanks!

Shannon
Hi Shannon:  I'd like to welcome you to the Pain Management forum.  We are not doctors nor are we monitored by a doctor.  However we do have pretty smart cookies around here.  Basically what we do is offer advice and support based on our own experiences.

I too suffer from hand pain.  Mine is from bone spurs and some arthritis.  It's awful, isn't it!!  My best suggestion to you is to make an appointment with a neurologist or an orthopedist specializing in hand and wrist surgery.  You need a diagnosis of what is causing your pain.  It sounds like nerve involvement to me but I'm NOT a doctor.  So do yourself a favor and make that appointment.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing.  Stick around.  I'm sure someone else will be able to help you.  In the meantime, you might try icing your hand and see if that helps.  It usually does help for nerve pain.  If that doesn't help, try heat.  Therma care makes one for hands.  Good luck and welcome again.

Sara
To me it sounds like either tendonitis or carpal tunnel in the beginning stages. I have tendonitis. When I first got it I had shoot pain up the wrist near the radial artery area. I got treated thru workmans comp PT and then it went away with Ibupropin, and wrist brace for two weeks. Then, a couple of years later I was working repetitively and my right thumb starting involuntarily twitching. Then it would stop. Later I got pain in my thumb. Now I have chronic tendonitis and can't work. Take this seriously and check into it. If it happens at work or when you work report it and they will pay for your time off etc. They should do a nerve conductivity test to see if you have carpal tunnel. If it isn't see a neurologist maybe.
good luck,
mkh9