Pain Management Community
Harrington Rod removal and Harrington Rod Tip removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have had the Harrington Rod for almost 18 years. Since the surgery I have had pain in the upper left area on my back. Recently the pain is increasing and causing pain in my left arm and left leg. ( numbness, irritation feeling and weaker left part of the body) Most orthopedic  surgeons I have consulted concluded that the tip of the rod is causing irritation of tissues and causing the pain. Most ortho. suggested to cut the tip of the rod as it will reduce the pain, only one surgeon suggested to remove the entire rod. Has anyone faced such a problem as a result of the tip of the rod and would you be able to tell me the advantages of removing the entire rod now that it has been fused to the bones and the implications of keeping it. The rod seems according to x-rays solid and has not broken, but I read some reviews about the possibility of the rod to rust or even break. I would appreciate your feedback on this matter!  
I am having surgery to cut the tip of my rods! I have been having pain for years. I have had mine in for 22 years!
I had what is called a "hardware removal" surgery to remove my Harrington rods. It reduced the burning pain I was having although I am still in pain from the actual fusion. My bone had grown over the metal, but the surgeon was able to cut the bone away and get all of the metal and screws and wires out. it can be done! Best of luck to you,
do you still feel the surgery was beneficial to you? I have had a harrington rod for 35 years and am starting to have the shoulder pains. or between my shoulder pains and wonder if this might help me.

do you feel if it has let you curve any further?
Thank you,
Doris