Has anyone experienced sciatic neurogenic nerve pain? and atrophy
I had an L3-L4 S1 microdisectomy in October 2012 after several months of conservative therapy that was unresponsive.I seem to have continued neurogenic atrophy and nerve pain from a herniated disc displacing my sciatic nerve.  My left leg, ankle and buttock continue to shrink in size, even through vigirous physical therapy. I remain concerned, as I was an athletic person and am interested in revisiting my outdoor activities.  My nerve pain presented itself in July 2012.  My Dr says that it may correct itself slowly, or may never get better. My most significant area of atrophy seems to be my left thigh's quad muscle.  Has anyone else had a similar experience with neurogenic muscle atrophy due to sciatic nerve damage?  
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your condition. Pain and muscle wasting can be due to nerve compression which can be both spinal and superficial. If the quadriceps muscle is the one that is being most affected then the compression is on the femoral nerve (L2-L5) and not on the sciatic nerve. This nerve can get trapped in fascia etc and releasing the muscle helps relieve the compression. In the superficial nerve compression, lateral femoral cutaneous nerve that comes from the hip area gets pinched. This condition is called meralgia paresthetica and is often due to weight gain or wearing tight clothes and belts. Losing some weight or wearing loose clothes and belts often helps relieve the pain/numbness/tingling.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your neurologist regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.