Pain Management Community
Has anyone had a prestiage artificial cervical disc replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have a bulging disc in my neck and my doctor wants to do a spinal fusion but I really don't want that. I've read alot of bad things about fusions. I was just wondering if anyone or know anyone who has had artifical disc replacement.
Hi koolaid,

I understand your concern regarding the fusion. It would be my very last choice too.

I do not have any personal knowledge of artificial disc replacements. Hopefully one of our members can respond to your questions.

Good luck to you.
Tuck
I had the spinal fusion in my neck. I basically had to stop working. Although I had 3 cervical surgeries and while they corrected some of the pain there is a whole new list of other problems it caused.

The thing with disc replacement is once you are fused you cannot have disc replacement and there aren't many doctors doing the disc replacement yet.  

My entire low back is also fused so I no longer have the option of disc replacement.

Depending on where you live and finding a surgeon who performs this surgery and if you are a candidate it might be a good option.  It's worth a consultation with a good surgeon.  Fusion in the cervical area (in my opinion) are so hard on the body and lead to other issues. Like ruptures above and below the surgery site, arthritis above and below the surgery site, cervical vertigo, severe headaches.  If you do have the cervical fusion please question, question and make sure you have a very good surgeon.

Best to you.
I recently had a cervical disc replacement, C5/C6, that disc became compress and arthritic as the result of a ceiling and partial roof collapse during firefighting back in Feb. 2009, I just had the replacement on Feb. 24th, 2011, I understand that if more than one disc needs replacement than fusion is the only option, I could be wrong but I believe that to be the case. I've been told that my doctor is one of the best spine specialist in his field and many of his patients come from the country just to have him do their surgery. I'm still sore and that should clear up in a few weeks, If you would like info on my doctor let me know, I'm in south Louisiana....
i had cervical disc replacement (2 discs) about 3 years ago. It cost around S$30K. Yes it expensive but nothing beats being free from a debilitating injury. Before that I was going around doing all sorts of alternative treatments like acupuncture, massage, spinal/cervical decompression. That only provide temporary relief and wasted a lot of time and money. I guess for my case, it is more severe - the numbness and tingling sensation from the pinched nerves affected my daily life. I m very active and well and doing a lot of sports and exercises since my recovery and never regret doing the operation. I was hospitalized for only one day and did not even wear a neck brace.
BTW, if your condition is not so serious spinal/cervical decompression (traction) is very good option. My lower back problem which was not so seriously injured got good results from decompression.Good luck and its nothing like good health
Just read your post. Have you done the double replacement yet? If not, there are a few surgeons in the US that do this. Dr. Kenneth Light in San Francisco is supposed to be one of the best. He is the first Spine Surgeon to do a Fusion REVERSAL!!!  There may be others in the US as well, you just have to Google and do your research. There is a team in Germany that has been doing Double and Triple for over ten years. Last I checked, a Double costs
about $38K US Dollars vs what I've been quoted in the US at least $70K on up. It's worth checking into the Germany route, I've talked to well traveled, intelligent sources who swear by International Medical Treatments being a much better option for the entire body in general! Let me know the latest, and what you decide. I'm currently supposed to have Dr. Light do a Double Cervical Replacement, just not sure about the Implant that he uses. I may be allergic to some of the materials that it's made of...still researching. So there are many factors to consider before going into this...take your time if you can:)
I need a doctor that does cervical artificial disc replacements, at two levels. Can you please help me!
Thanks,