Pain Management Community
Having bad knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Having bad knee pain

I have noticed since we came home from our trip (we did a lot of walking) that my knee has been hurting .I woke up this morning and I can hardly walk due to the pain in my knee.When I was a teenager I jumped off a really high wagon and h urt my ankles and knee .I was on crutches for a couple of weeks.I have had problems with my knee locking up for years ever since.It will lock up on me and I have to roll from side to side to get it to unlock.Could this injury back then be causing my knee pain now? My pain is in my kneecap and when I try to walk it's excruciating. Any advice would be appreciated .Thanks Melissa
I am curious, like Jamie, about what the weather is there?  Here in Florida (the Lightning Capital of the US) when a big storm blows through I am in agony.  
My husband has knee problems and sometimes his flare up when he is active or doing specific work (like walking up and down an embankment for work all day).  I always have him take an ibuprofen or aleve, as they are NSAIDs and help with the inflammation. He also has a brace that he uses sometimes. (Sometimes he's stubborn and insists the brace will only make him weaker).  
I would also recommend the RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) thing.
He's got a lot of pain issues, after a terrible accident in 2000, but doesn't take prescription pain meds, so I have no idea how that would affect him, otherwise.
Those are just tips for the short term and it would probably be worth calling your PM about.
  • Radiating knee pain
    I am a 30-year-old female and have been recently experie...[more]
  • Knee Pain (1 replies):
    My knees have been hurting for a very long time. Both kn...[more]
  • knee pain (1 replies):
    I was wondering if anyone could help me . I'm 30 now and...[more]
  • knee pain (1 replies):
    Hi there, my name is chris. I am 24 years old and for th...[more]
  • Knee Pain (1 replies):
    Hi i am 14 years old and i have been having some really ...[more]
Wonder if all the walking just caused your knee to start acting up again. I also have bad knees not sure why but I do and the more I walk the more they hurt, well one has been really bugging me the last couple of weeks, going up the stairs makes me want to scream.
Would your PMP have some tests run on it? That would be a good start. But like I said maybe all the walking did something to it.
With all the pain you deal with everyday you don't need added pain to you and my thoughts are with you.
Hang in there
Jamie
I just saw my PM last week .I am thinking of making an appt with my pcp .I just wondered if anyone else had problems with their knee locking up or may have some idea of what is going on with my knee.We have some real knowledgeable members so I am looking for some feedback.Thanks Jamie for the kind words.I really don't need any new problems added to what I am already dealing with .You are right about that .This is hurting me really bad today .It almost brings me to tears to try and walk .I am just barely making it back and forth to the bathroom .I am using a cane to give me some support .I just have a bad feeling about this .Thanks, Melissa
How is the weather where you are right now? I know mine acts up more when it is cloudy and rains. Mine does lock every once in awhile and it also gives out on me and sometimes I do fall because it gives out.
Sorry about you hurting yourself when you was younger. I was a tomboy and I was always hurting something but the worst was when my brother got mad at me when I was about 10 and slammed my index finger in the door and broke it, it still is messed up til this day, plus I broke the same finger again in high school picking up a basketball, yea that is how I was growing up getting hurt doing the smallest stuff lol
I hope someone else does have some good ideas for you and calling your PCP is a great idea.
Jamie
You know I am taking pain meds for my neck .Wouldn't that help with my knee pain ? I have taken my morning dose of meds a couple of hours ago but they are not helping with my knee .My PM is only treating me for my neck .I don't think  she can help me with this .Am I right on this?
The weather here is great .I live in Ky so of course it is hot and the humidity is so oppressive .
I'm so very sorry to hear of your additional troubles.  My body acts the same way with the pain medicine and I do not understand why.  My pain medicine does nothing for my headaches, nor does it ever help my menstral cramps, or if I have pain anywhere else.  I usually take an additional over the counter medication to help with the added pain.  I will switch between ibuprofen or aspirin.

I think it would be a very good idea to get this checked out with your PCP or pain management doctor.  I know my pain clinic also treats knee and limb pain.  Perhaps the doctor will order a MRI of the knee. Whatever the case, I hope you are okay and recover quickly from this.  

I have injured my knee on the ice in the past, but it took me building up my muscles before it stopped causing me trouble.  My knee would either lock up or give completely out.  

Good luck.
Thanks runningmom and jaded sweetheart I appreciate the feedback .Jaded the weather here in Ky is pretty hot and humid .It's sunny and pretty today .I don't think it's weather related .I am doing the RICE thing .Do ya'll think it would be OK to take an 800mg ibuprofen? I take lortab 10/500  3xday . I just thought the ibuprofen would help the inflammation.Thanks again ya'll Melissa
I am sure your meds should be helping your knee also unless they aren't strong enough and the pain is to bad for them. I am also sure your PMP could treat this pain also since they are a pain dr. I know my PCP told me when I see my pain dr to talk about my knee also so I am sure he can treat that also.
I am not sure if you can take the ibuprofen also it might be to much, you could call your PMP or your PCP and ask them but I know your taking alot of acetaminophen 1500mg a day which is in your lortab so ibuprofen might be to much to be taking too. I would call and ask.
Im in Ohio so we have the same weather right now that you do, hot and humid and feels so bad out, like walking into a heater everytime you go outside. I am hoping for some rain very soon.
Jamie
Yes I am going to call and ask .I haven't taken any of the ibuprofen .I did not know I could go to my PM for my knee.When I was having stomach problems in Jan and Feb and was diagnosed with IBS she said she couldn't treat my pain for that only my neck and back.That is what I was referred to her for so maybe thats all she can treat me for? I don't know.Jamie yes our weather is the same .I haven't been outside today but yesterday it was brutal .The humidity is the worst part .I am staying in the A/C today .My knee feels somewhat better .I am resting and have it propped up.My son has been waiting on me so thats been nice.If it doesn't get better soon I will go see about it.Thanks Jamie ! Melissa

You have a great son!! I think a PMP will treat any pain that you are having, I may be wrong if so someone say something but if your going to a PMP I know you can't go anywhere else for pain treatment so they would have no choice but to treat it.
Let your son take care of you til you feel better.
((((HUGS))))
Jamie