Pain Management Community
Hip, butt, leg, pelvic area and sometimes my foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I had foot surgery in Feb, March 1, I started telling them that my left hip was hurting so bad that it hurt to move.  PT put electrodes on my hip/back (not at dr request, she was trying to help me).  Finally got to see a Spine Dr.  He did a MRI and said nothing was wrong with my spine.  I don't know if the MRI shows the hip.  Here we are in Sept., and still no relief.  It is W/C case so I don't know what to do now....I have been very patient and called the lady in our company over W/C and she basically told me that she didn't know what to do and didn't have time to help me.  If I was out of work this whole time it would be different but I am at work and sometimes work overtime....I really need some advice as the depression is getting really bad.  Crying at work and at home with the pain.

Hi Again Cs,

I read your former posts to refresh my memory concerning your history. I see that you responded to my suggestions on the 28th of August and I didn't respond back. It was my Wedding Anniversary and I was off the Forum for a few days... Sorry.

As you may recall I suggested that you may have SI Joint issues. I still think that may be true. You have all the symptoms (SX). SIJD is difficult to diagnose (DX) and is often over looked and under diagnosed..... and once found is often under-treated. An MRI, x-ray or any of the usual imaging will not find this Dysfunction. I was initially DX by a very astute D.O. It's since been confirmed by several specialities and has disabled me. So please have this considered.

Another thought is Trochanteric (Hip)  Bursitis. That can be very painful and your SX are similar as SIJD and Trochanteric Bursitis can present with similar SX although they are different. It is inflammation of the bursa (fluid-filled sac near a joint) at the outside (lateral) point of the hip known as the greater trochanter.  This is a common cause of hip pain.

Here are some SX:
Pain on the outside of the hip and thigh or in the buttock.
Pain when lying on the affected side.
Pain when you press in on the outside of the hip.
Pain that gets worse during activities.
Pain with walking up stairs.
Pain sometimes occurs after prolonged sitting on hard surfaces
.
When severe, the pain can radiate down the leg. This is easier to treat then SIJD. A steroidal injection into the bursae can reduce the inflammation and pain. I've had several flares of it and an injection has eased 98% of the symptoms.

Hip bursitis is diagnosed based on your history. In other words it's a clinical diagnosis as there are no positive tests, other then an injection to DX this condition.

Depression can go hand in hand with Chronic Pain. My heart goes out to you. I don't know how you can get your W/C carrier to address this issue but you should be able to consult your PCP and have him/her investigate the possibilities. You may have to use your own private health insurance.... or request an approval from W/C to evaluate these possibilities.

I could be wrong on both accounts but no one should have to suffer with the extreme pain you are experiencing. Be assertive and don't take, "I don't have time" as an excuse from your W/C representative. If need be go over the Rep's head. You can also discuss this with the HR Department of your company. They should be willing to assist you. There are laws that protect you.

I wish you the very best and hope you will let us know how you are progressing. Hope to hear from you soon.

Peace,
~Tuck
Thanks so much and Happy Anniversary.  I called HR and basically she said it is out of her hands.  So I took matters into my own after yesterday.  The pain got so bad that my BP went way up.  Normal 114/70 and yesterday 175/110....that was enough. I sent w/c a e-mail also called w/c nurse and called the last Dr that I saw.  Next well you know where I will have to go from here.  As you said there are laws to protect me.  I didn't want to go that way but, I have to protect MY health.  As a friend said......do I want to continue to let them drive or take the wheel and drive myself.  My w/c nurse called and left a message on my work phone that she is trying to get me into seeing a new Dr.  I did ask yesterday (the Dr that did the mri) if it showed my hips and they didn't know.  Now I will have to wait a few more days to see.....

You have been such a great help in letting me know that I am not alone.  Many thanks to you....

oh yea what is dx

She
You are so welcome.

Your friend gave you good advice. I am glad you are in the Drivers Seat! Don't stop driving until you reach your destination.

It's obvious that two of my DXs is SIJD and Hip Bursitis. I really have too many to list due to a MVA where a seat belt literally ripped me in two. What I can say is that I have is disabling Chronic Pain and receive SSDI after many years of making myself continue a career when they said I would not survive let alone work again.

Of course pain will increase your B/P. That makes it even more important that you obtain proper pain management.

Sorry our Welcome Msg is now hidden and it contains many of the medical abbreviations that I use. DX means Diagnosis. SX means Symptoms.

I will look forward to your updates. Good Luck to you and Please keep in touch.

~Tuck

My W/c nurse called and is sending me to another doctor.  I politely explained to her after this I would have to take control.  Nice to have someone like you to talk to...

She