Hip and shin pain
I have developed some inconsistent dull throbbing pain in my outer right hip that extends and gets more acute again near the mid front of my right shin. Some days are better, others worse. Based on symptoms charts it does not seem to exactly fit bursitis, tendinitus, sciatica, or arthritus. No redness or burning nor pain when put pressure on the point of pain (bursitis), does not always hurt (arthritus) and no pain down back of leg, hamstring, or calf (sciatica). Help! :(
Hi Hchytd,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum/ I am glad that you found us. I apologize for my tardy response.

You're correct that your symptoms don't exactly fit he usual and customary diagnosis for hip/leg pain. But remember we are all different. Not everyone has the "classic" symptoms.

Nerves from the spinal cord supply information to the leg, transmitting signals from the brain that allow purposeful movement. They also return information or sensations to the brain. Lower back or spinal issues can also cause radiating pain in your hip and the lateral (outer) part of the legs.

I suggest that you visit your PCP and request a good clinical evaluation. Imaging may reveal the source of your pain. In the mean time remember RICE, rest, ice, compression and elevation. Obviously you have to tweak RICE to fit your symptoms. An OTC NSAID can be effective when taken as directed. Your local pharmacist can help you select the most appropriate one for you and based on your symptoms.

I hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing and share with us the results of your appointment. We often hear the question but don't always hear the conclusion. I wish you the best.

Take Care,
Tuck

Thank you, Tuck - I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share this response! I will take your advice and share the results!