Hip joint pain when walking/standing please help!
I am a 20 year old female and I have been having pain in my left hip. It seems to happen when I lift things that are more than 40 lbs or so. I work at a garden center, so I am constantly lugging around large pots, plants and soils. I do make sure that I left with my legs as opposed to my back. Also I have noticed that when my backpack is heavy there is an increase in pain.

The pain its self feels more like strain, like my left hip is trying to move but it cant. Also walking up and down stairs hurts a lot, as well as shifting my weight to my left hip. When the pain is present it feels like it can't support my body weight (I am not over weight, about average around 125 lbs) and it feels like its going to buckle.

It hasn't gotten to the point where i cant move my hip, however sometimes it hurts so bad it is very difficult to walk and I need to limp. Also when I lay on the floor and rotate my left hip it makes a popping noise but my right hip doesn't have this problem. I'm an active person and I love to hike but it gets painful. Please help, Thank you.

Also, this has been happening since around May of 2009 and I have had no injuries.
Hello Flowergrow,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum at MedHelp. I am glad that you found us but sorry to hear about your hip pain.

Bursitis of the hip is the most common cause of hip pain. There are actually two Bursa's in the area that can cause pain. However you do not mention one of the most common symptoms which is tenderness of the hip when touched or rested upon.

There are also many tendons that support your hip and it's motion. Tendonitis can occur in any of the tendons that surround the hip joint. The most frequent tendonitis of the hip is from the iliotibial band of tendons.  

There are so many conditions that can effect your hip. I suggest that you make an appointment with your PCP for a clinical evaluation. If I had your symptoms I wouold try to rest the area, apply ice several times a day and take NSAID's to help in the interim.

I hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I will look forward tro your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck
Awesome thank you for the advice, it hadn't occurred to me to ice it.
I'm going to my doctor on Tuesday and will defiantly keep this updated. Hopefully nothing serious :)