Pain Management Community
Hip pain and popping out. Please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hip pain and popping out. Please help!

Since about 2 years ago, my hip will pop in and out frequently. I can physically pop it out and everytime I walk, It will pop nonstop. it is very painful and sometimes while I am doing anything that would cause it to pop out, it wont pop back in. It is very painful to walk and I need help. I have researched many thing and nothing has helped. Please comment and help! Thanks!
Hi Rylee,

First I want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. I want to let you know that there are NO Doctors on this Forum only CP  {Chronic Pain}  Patients that help each other with our OWN expertise and experiences that we have developed through our OWN CP Issues.

I KNOW how you are feeling as I JUST had an artificial hip implanted about 5 months ago as my "OLD" artificial hip had become loose and was popping in an out as YOUR hip seems to be doing to you now!!!  It's VERY painful with EVERY step that you take.  I had to lay flat on my back on my bed to get my hip to go back into place.  You MIGHT try doing that and SEE if that helps it go into place any quicker for you.

Before you do ANYTHING else, you need to go and talk to your parents about this!! You are ONLY 16 years old and you should have a VERY long talk with them and see if they will schedule you an appointment with a Doctor.  I'm ASSUMING that you haven't talked to them yet as you didn't mention it in your post.  :{  Your parents are you FIRST line od defense in keeping you Healthy!! :}

Have you played a lot of Sports over the years?  A lot of times, when kids play sports they can weaken the tendons, cartilage and muscles in their legs, arms, shoulders, etc.  This can make it ALMOST impossible to keep your body strong and healthy and inury FREE!!  :}

After you've discussed this with them I HOPE that you will let us know what you are going to do.  Hopefully, they will get you to a Doctor that wil give you the help that you need and deserve.  Someone that will help to keep your body healthy, strong AND well!!!

I'll look for you update on here..............Sherry  :)
Since you are so young, I'm guessing that you were simply born with very long ligaments and tendons.  Do you tend to be very flexible and find stretching easy to do?  If that's the case, you can help yourself by building up your muscles.  The more muscle mass you have, the less stress will be placed on your ligaments to keep the hip joint in place and the less likely you will suffer a dislocation.

I had the same problem with my left shoulder.  It would spontaneosly dislocate - usually when I was relaxed.  It first happened when I was 12 years old and got worse over time.  I neglected to mention it to my doctor because it always popped right back in again.  All those occurrences over many years resulted in a terribly weak shoulder and lots of internal damage to muscles, tendons, and ligaments.  Eventually the joint became so loose that the rotator cuff was badly damaged.  It took two surgeries and lots of weightlifting to bring back full function and to this day I still can't sleep long on that side.  

Please follow Sherry's advice and talk to your parents about seeing a doctor.  I'd hate to see another person lose joint function and face surgical repair if the problem can be easily corrected with early diagnosis and treatment.  You may only need a course of physical therapy to get you back on your feet again.