Pain Management Community
Hip pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hip pain

I have a nagging pain in my left hip that comes and goes. Im 36 and had it on and off for about 10 years. Im very active and daily workouts dont seem to hinder or worsen the pain. I can walk about 2 hours (at a decent pace) before I get a mild stabbing pain. It seems to be right in the joint and not on the outer edge. It can come on more rapidly when I stand in one position for a while (ie over 30 mins). Its not a throb, as soon as I rest the joint, the pain goes. It stabs in rhythm as my leg comes back from a stride. Anti inflams dont touch it. Does anyone have any ideas? My mobility in that leg is full range as I used to do yoga and am quite supple.
Hi Kit,

I want to Welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that we're VERY gald that you have found the Forum. I need to let you know that there are NO Doctors on this Forum ONLY  CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other thru our own experiences and expertise that we have from our own CP conditions.

I'm so sorry that you have been having these pains.

Have you checked with your Doctor at all concerning this pain in your Hip? You might be encountering the beginnings of Osteoarthritis in your Hip Joint. I've lived with that for the past 36 years. I've had 2 hip implants and I'm getting ready for a third in September.

It would benefit you to make an appointment with your PCP (Family Doctor) and see what they think and depending what they discover from possibly some x-rays go on to either an Orthopedic Specialist or a Rheumatologist.

This isn't the ONLY possibility with this pain, but it sounds like what I used to encounter, which it why I suggested the possibility of it.

There will be others along that may have some other ideas as to what may be happening to you.

I hope that no matter what, you WILL check with your Doctor and keep us updated as to what you find out.

I wish you the VERY best :)......Sherry

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for such a prompt reply. I was checked for arthritis about 3 years ago (just a physical exam) and the Dr didnt persue anything further. I do have an appointment a week this Friday for another minor matter so I'll bring it up again.
Kit,

It would be to your benefit to push them to do some tests. A Physical Exam WILL NOT tell if you have ANY Arthritis in your hip!!

I needed my First hip implant when I was 28 BUT back then, 1974, the implants were too new and they WOULDN'T hold up in a young person. SOOO they had me wait until I couldn't stand it anymore and that was when I was 35 years old and was walking with a cane. When they did the implant I had NO hip joint left at all.

PLEASE persist on this as I don't want you to get so BAD that there is NO alternative except for surgery.  Arthritis CAN'T be cured BUT they can make it MUCH more comfortable for you. There are exercises and Therapies that can help you RETAIN the mobility that you have.

Sometimes you have to PUSH for the TESTS that you need to be able to get an EXACT Diagnosis!!

You've picked the PERFECT Forum to get the support that you need.

I hope that you will update EVERYTHING this Friday after your appointment...Sherry
Three years is a long time - particularly when you're talking about joint health.  I'm glad to hear you'll be seeing your PCP in a couple of days.  Since your pain is increasing I think you need some imaging studies like x-ray or MRI to determine a diagnosis.  I've got osteoarthritis in my hips and it is a BEAR when the weather changes.  I was a ballet dancer and like you, very flexible.  That flexibility means we have long ligaments and tendons, which also means we have weak joints.  The bones take on more of the job of supporting our bodies than soft muscle, tendon and ligaments do.  That in turn means we are more prone to develop osteoarthritis.  

Weight resistance and muscle building exercises can really help reduce hip pain from osteoarthritis.  If you do a lot of walking or running or even aerobics, that puts quite a pounding on your hip joints.  Add some weightlifting exercises for a few weeks and see what happens.  Perfect form is essential so if you're new to weights, get some help in the form of a trainer for a couple sessions or even a book.  "Weightlifting for Dummies" is an outstanding easy-to-read resource.  Please post back and let us know what your doctor has to say.  Hope you hang out here for a while.  :-)
Hello Kit,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I apologize for my tardy response.  I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. We all know how pain can interfere with the our daily lives. My heart goes out to you.

Your pain sounds very similar to mine some years ago. I had a sharp hip joint pain that would come and go. And like you it would stab in rhythm as my leg came back from a stride. After a number of years with the sporadic pain it became more frequent and intense. My PCP referred me to an ortho and I was diagnosed with trochanter bursitis.

Trochanteric Bursitis is the medical term for for bursitis of the hip. The  Bursa in your hip is the largest in the body. Of course you know that Bursitis is the inflammation of a Bursa. It's very painful but treatable.

Usual treatment begins with ice, NSAID's and rest and similar non-invasive treatments. If these fail an injection of steroids into the area if usually effective in relieving that pain and symptoms. In extreme cases aspiration of the fluid in the Bursa is performed. In rare, extreme cases surgery is done and the bursa is simply removed which is called a bursectomy. My bursitis flares every several years and a simple Cortisone injection alleviates the pain and symptoms.

I cannot say that you have Trochanteric Bursitis but your symptoms fit the condition, in my opinion. I see that you are consulting your PCP this week.  He/she can assist you in finding a diagnosis.

Please share with us the results of your appt. I will look forward to hearing from you and will be interested to learn your diagnosis. Best of luck to you.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Im really greatful for all these comments. Ive never heard of Trochanteric Bursitis but will do some research. My Drs appointment is a week on Friday (so the 6th of Aug) but I will certainly post back any findings or recommendations I get.
Hi Kit,

I just want to let you  know that you REALLY need to check out Tuck's suggestion. This Lady is VERY knowledgeable!! It's DEFINITELY worth you spending some time researching this!!!

Anxious for your update!!!......Sherry

I had my Drs appointment last Friday and she has referred me for an Xray. She did some manual tests and along with my symptoms,  said it sounded like arthritis. I will again report back as soon as I have the results.

Martine
Sorry for the delay, I have just come back from visiting family in Texas.

I have torn a tendon off the bone. There is no evidence of arthritis at all which is great news. The medical term I was given is lesser tronchanter enthesopathy. Ive been told that anti inflams and physio will help. I hope so as its still painful!

Thanks for all your suggestions, It motivated me to get it checked out!

Regards
Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how you were doing.

Thankfully you have a diagnosis. It's good to know that it can be treated.

The term lesser trochanter enthesopathy describes the exact site (lesser trochanter) and the condition (enthesopathy).
The lesser trochanter is a pyramidal prominence projecting from the proximal (meaning near) and medial (meaning inside) part of the shaft of the femur.
Enthesopathy means a disease occurring at the site of attachment of muscle tendons and ligaments to bones or joint capsules. So this says you have disease (tear) at this structure site.

Ouch! No wonder you have pain. Tears can take awhile to heal. Just follow your physicians instructions and hopefully the worst is about over and the healing can begin. Although therapy may bring some increased pain. Don't be afraid to ask for medications that will manage it.

Thanks for the information and update. Please keep us informed.

Best of Luck to You,
~Tuck
Hi again,

Thanks again for breaking it down! Ive tried to do some research and cant find out much about it.
I attend a step class 3 times a week and am due to go tonight after nearly 2 weeks off (due to vacation). I really need to get off the "Texas pounds!!". Do you think I'll be doing it any harm if I go?

:0)