Pain Management Community
Hives from fentanyl patch withdrawal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hives from fentanyl patch withdrawal?

Hi, I was on the 50mcg patch for maybe nine or ten months for constant disabling migraines. A nerve ablation in my neck worked and working with my doctor to get me off it. I'm on 25mcg right now. I'm aware of all the side effects but has anyone heard of getting severe hives with withdrawal? I'm covered in them and miserable and trying to rule out all possible causes with my allergist. Thank you!
Hi!
Hives are actually the side effects of fentanyl. Fentanyl withdrawal causes hot flashes and feeling of heat emanating from the skin and can mimic hives like feeling. Increasing your water intake can help reduce this sensation. Also taking a cool shower or applying a moist cloth on your skin may help. If you are being treated for withdrawal symptoms then you can ask your doctor to prescribe you something for it. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.