Pain Management Community
How long does it take for Duragesic Pain Patch to work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Does anyone know how long it takes to feel the effect of the pain patch? Thank you
It will probally take 8 to 12 hrs on the 1st dose before its fully in your system.
Hi Again Yobo,

The fentanyl patch can take up to 8 hours before the full release of the medication is reached in your system. As I said in my earlier post it took my mother only 5 hours before she had failyy good pain relief. However in eightnhours her pain went from a 10+ on a scale of 1-10. At the end of five hours she was at a 4 and in three more hours she was at a 2-3.

So hopefully you will soon notice reduction of your pain level if you took this recently.

Good luck to you, Tuck
The comments above are correct....8-12 hrs. for the full effect. When you wake up in the morning, you will feel the difference :-)
Hi, I was on the fentanyl patch for quite a while. And i guess it depends on the person, but usually it takes about 24hrs in order to get the full dose of the fentanyl in your blood stream...If you are in serious pain and can't wait hours for it to kick in you can put a heating pad on the fentanyl patch, the heat releases the fentanyl from the patch alot quicker, there for reducing the waiting period substantialy. Also..normally you will change the patch every 72 hrs, but at the end of 48 hrs you can put another patch on, and remove the old patch as directed, usually after 72 hrs. This will keep a continous level of fentanyl in your system, and according to my experience and my Dr. it is safe to do. Hope I could help!

-Nick-
I only have a little relief. Is it possible this dose is not working? Thank you everyone for your help.

Amy
I have been on the 25mcg for 6 hrs with only a little relief. Is it possible to get more relief?
Thanks,

Amy
Yes it is. Be patient. Like others have said, everyone is different.
Hang in there. I sent you a personal message.........
FYI - it's a real bad idea to put on a new patch sooner than the usual 72 hours unless your doctor writes that explicitly on the prescription.  If you run out too soon, you'll have a whole lot of explaining to do, and most pain docs will not be happy that you used this powerful of a medication inappropriately.  Taking more than prescribed of any pain medication can get you fired as a patient in some practices.
Jaybay is so right. I know you are trying to be helpful. But please understand that at MedHelp we only take medications as our individual physician prescribes them. What your physician may prescribe for you, may not be right for Yobo.

It is never OK to change your patch early, increase your dose or take medications any other way than how they are prescribed. And as far as applying heat, it is not recommended in the packet instructions and therefore unless directed by her physician Yobo should not follow your well intended suggestion.

Take care, Tuck
Yobo asked how she could get more relief from her patch...I was not telling her to do anything illegal. I'm guessing you have never been on the fentanyl patch. Putting a new patch on at the end of 48 hrs is safe to do, and is recommended to do it that way by the majority of PM doctors. Because at the end of the 72 hr period when you remove the old patch, and apply a new one, it will once again take approx. 24 hrs for the new patch you jst put on to reach it's theraputic syrum levels of fentanyl in your blood stream, and people who really suffer from sever chronic pain that 24 hr waiting period is miserable. Also when you put a new patch on at the end of 48 hrs and leave the old patch on and then remove it at the end of 72 hrs. you are not double dosing, or getting more of the medication than you should beings that it takes approx 24 hrs for the fent. to get into your blood stream anyways. So by the time you take off the old patch at the end of 72 hrs, the new patch that you put on at the end of 48 hrs will just begin to start releasing the fentanyl into your system, therefore it does not increase the fentanyl serum levels at all. So...not to sound rude but before you try criticizing someone for giving advice that was asked for, you might want to make sure you know exactly what you are talking about, and get your facts straight.
-Nick-
....Also, by putting a new patch on at the end of 48 hrs. is NOT using more fent. than prescribed, beings that it takes 24 hrs for the release of the fentanyl in the blood, and nor is it using more of the medication than prescribed!  If you put the new patch on at the end of 48hrs and keep the old patch on, you will still be getting the dose of fent. prescribed from the first patch you applied, b/c the second patch is not releasing fentanyl yet, and will not release it for approx 24 hrs, the exact same time that you should remove the old patch at the 72hr mark! Therefore it is NOT over medicating nor is it abusing it in any way, shape, or form. I hope that you guys understand the concept of how the fentanyl patch actually works now.
-Nick-
Hi stnick_77,
    I believe the point that was trying to be made is that you should never take it upon yourself or from advice from someone else to alter your pain medication regime in any way shape or form from that in which the Dr has ordered.
I have asked someone who knows about the patch to stop by and clear up any misconceptions so I look forward to her input.
Thanks,
Sandy
OK, Here's my two cents worth.

Putting a heating pad on the Patch is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. And to tell a first timer using the patch is just wrong.......There are warnings 10x over in the leaflets that come with the box of patches that you should never use a heating pad over the patch.

I came across a story of a woman that used a heating pad over the patch to increase the effect and speed up the process....Well, she went to bed and never woke up....

So don't tell someone to use a heating pad...That's foolishness
I am not saying that changing a patch in 48 hours is unsafe.  Not at all.  What I AM saying is that your doctor must write the prescription that way.  My doctor writes mine to be changed every 72 hours.  If I change it every 48 hours, I will come up short at the end of the month.  If I used the patch in any way other than as prescribed, I would be in violation of my contract and discharged as a patient.  Some doctors are very unwilling to write this prescription for anything less than the 72 hours recommended by the manufacturer.  It's just a personal choice for the doctor.

And yes, I have used the patch for well over 3 years now and I do know whereof I speak.

Mollyrae is also right: putting a heating pad on a patch is very dangerous.  Heat causes the fentanyl to dispense too quickly, risking an overdose - particularly in new users.  It also results in the patch losing its effectiveness too soon beause so much of the medicine has already been dispensed.    

Some patients have a great deal of trouble with the heat issue if they go outside and sweat, have hot flashes, run a fever, or do anything that increases body temperature.  My personal experience is that any of the gel-filled patches dispense too quickly and run out too soon.  For me, the flat Mylan generic does a much better job of dispensing fentanyl at a regular rate over the entire 3 days.  The adhesive also works better for me.

The point I really want to make here is that no pain patient who is prescribed narcotics should do anything different with that medication other than prescribed.  If the treatment isn't working, you should talk to your doctor.  The last thing you want to do is take anyone's advice on the internet without first running it by your doctor.
I understand what you are saying, I'm not a Dr. and I have made that clear, I was simply stating what my Dr. had told me....and i dont really appreciate being criticized over a post that i left when all that I was doing is giving information that my PM dr. gave me...thats it, period. All i did was share a comment that was told to me by my doctor. When someone posts something on this website people SHOULD KNOW thats all that it is a comment, espcecially when i specifically said that that is what MY dr. told ME, and thats what  MH is all about, sharing your experiences. So if I all of you still think that I am wrong for sharing information that a physician told me, especially when I made that 100% CLEAR, than i am sorry.

-Nick-
Nick, nobody is criticizing you.  Tuck and I merely tried to point out to present and future readers that any change in medication use should be first approved by one's doctor.  My own doctor would never in a million years tell a patient to heat up a patch.  So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that issue.
Nobody here is being critical...The information you gave to yobo was dangerous and I just can't believe the Doctor told you to use a heating pad when the warnings clearly state that you should avoid heat.....Especially heating pads....That Doctor is just plain wrong and I would question his practice.....I the future, when posting, please don't give dangerous information out. Be sure that what your suggesting is safe. I know you were trying to give helpful advise but please be careful when giving it.
Thank's, Mollyrae

Patches can be changed every 48hrs. Mine are prescribed that way because of my tolorance......
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/16/health/16patch.html

I had debated om whether to leave the post up about the heating of the patch and decided its better to leave it and make others aware of the dangers of heating these patches.
I have included a link on this from the New York Times about the FDA investigating 120 reports of death from misuse.
please read the article.
Sorry for the comments that I made. It obviously started a large controversy.....so in closing...I guess that all PM Dr. are trained diff. and prescribe and change instructions depending to the patient and severity of the pain. I never mean for anyone to try any or the examples that had have given, until you of course talk to your Dr. First, If you didnt talk to ur Dr. first that would jst be insane...I really hope i could clear this up....fell free to leave me comments.

-Nick-
Nick, you make a great point in that doctors are individuals just like we are, and not all of them follow the manufacturer's prescribing guidelines.  Once a medication goes to market with FDA approval, it's open season to be prescribed in any manner an MD sees fit.  In medspeak, that's called "off label use."  

I don't entirely trust any doctor or pharmacist's opinion alone, and take the time to look up the drug information myself.  Case in point being a steroid inhaler I was prescribed for allergies.  I got worse, and looked up the "words" on the medication and learned it was contraindicated for people with asthma due to allergies.  Using that thing for three days actually caused a whopping case of bronchitis and the doc was a tiny bit po'd with me for pointing out the problem.
scary stuff...fentanyl patches are...i had a patient once who took it off and chewed it up!  DEAD in a heartbeat and I had to all a code...it was my patient and i placed the patch on him...i had no way with my workload i could be in there 24/7 to check if he would chew his patch up and never dreamed he would have done this!  he died and i felt bad for some reason for a long time after...  so to me any type of quick release method on a patch spells DANGER to me after finding out just how strong those jokers are...young guy...years ago but i am guessing 28 years old at the time...i remember his b-day was nov 6th cos we talked alot...same as my sons.....awful experience...dont mess with patches.....and this is an addiction forum....not sure if this is ur area of need
yikes...i thought i was on the addiction forum!  LOL...u r in the right place...the pain forum....call me crazy but i am used to being on the other forum and saw this post...be safe and ask ur doctor anything u need to know...no one on here can heklp u like someone who knows u and sees u/knows ur history etc....no one should attempt ot give out medical advice to anyone on these forums as far as doses and usage of narcotics...perhaps a medhelp MD but still a good history would also be needed...please be safe with the patch...God bless
the 72 hours that the patch is supposed to be on takes into consideration those level that remain in your blood stream.at the end of 72 hours there is enough in your system to keep your levels in a comfort zone.that is why you put them on every 72 hours....and yes i put a 100 on every 3 days,and there is never a problem and that is why it is prescibed for every 3 days.after 48 hours is not the way it is to be done.the makers of the drug and the dr. prescibing it know what they are talking about and if they thought the levels would be to low to get a good "jumpstart" on your next patch they would have you change ity evry 2 days instead of 3.your body is not a diesel engine that has to be primed if it runs out of fent....there is plenty in you after 3 days to let the new patch start working so any suggestion that it is ok to put it on after 2 days to keep your level up is hogwash and the only thing that you gety is a good buzz for that double day that amounts to patch stacking.hope i didnt **** in anyones wheaties but thats the way it is......i know.
Jaybay,
  I totally understand your comment about the Dr being po'ed about your pointing put he made a mistake. This really gets me that some Dr's feel they are gods and do not make mistakes, they are human!
I had a Dr give me a prescription for Valium instead of the phenergan suppositories for my daughter. I was so mad because he insist to the pharmacist that he did no such thing and I even too the script which I copied for proof that he did and he still insisted that I altered it! I mean come on he gave me one script and it was for Valium in HIS handwriting!
I would have simply overlooked it had he admitted he made a mistake but I felt his obvious god complex needed an adjustment so I filed a complaint with the hospital and he was fired.
Doctors are human too and they can and will make mistakes, I tell people all the time YOU have to be YOUR OWN advocate and do not ever take one Drs word unless you trust that Dr.
I have caught mistakes by Dr's and pharmacist and thats because I am my own advocate and my children's. When I first started taking Oxycontin I had a prescription for 20 mg and the script said 20 mg but the pharmacist filled the 40 mg and when I started having adverse side effects I went to the Dr and he was like this should not be happening with this dose as I had a tolerance already from short acting opiates. He asked to see my script I filled and he was so irate when he realized I been taking double the amount he prescribed because of a pharmacist mistake. I did not know as it was my first time filling the script for this med.
You have to be knowledgeable and willing to ask questions and look out for yourself as people do make mistakes all the time.
I think everyone is being to hard on you. This Forum the last time I looked was AN ABUSE Forum. I don't feel at all you were tell this lady hey look get a bigger buzz heat the pad. I just don't understand why people just jumped all over you. If she wasn't abusing and wanted to stick to just what the dr ordered she should have went to another forum. This is just my opion.
Wondering198
This is the pain management forum.  

No one was jumping on Nick and he realizes this, using this patch in any way other than it is intended WILL lead to death so thats why we wanted to make sure that others reading this knew that and knew the consequences of their actions had they followed the advice to heat the patch.
Nick's Dr had apparently told him to do this and it is NOT recommended as it will cause death. There have been numerous cases where death has occurred from doing this. I have provided links to this fact if you want to check them out.

I also want to add that everyones opinions matters here and we certainly welcome your too. We only want to make sure that any misinformation is pointed out so we can keep someone from doing anything that is unsafe.
You comment is pretty irrational....Some people require the patch be changed every 48 hrs. My Doctor has even stated that everyones metabolizm is different. Some absorb the medication faster than others. For you to say that it is for the high is ludicrus....and it makes me mad.....
Sandee is correct...Nobody was abusing Nick. He did give advise that could be danderous......especally for a new timer to Fentanyl...
Hi downout,
I do respect your opinion however I must ask you to be respectful to the other members here also.
Mollyrae is a valued member here just as you are and we want to help everyone we can and being disrespectful to each other really isn't going to accomplish that.
So I appreciate your understanding regarding this matter and expect everyone here to be on their best behavior to one another. We are all adults here and being respectful to others opinions can only help everyone:)
Im sorry that my opinion was hurtful and will refrain from responding anymore.

regards,

dwnout
Just a note of caution, everyone tolerates meds differently. My first 3day patch was my last. I don't remember those three days. I was in bed the entrie time with my two children worried about me. Doctor said leave it on, you will adjust. I never took the second patch. I just could not tolerate them. It worked within a few hours. Hope you have better results.
Sandy,
Im sorry I have to disagree with you about down disrepecting someone. I think he was just stating a fact. Some people do get thier feathers ruffled when they are called out or someone disagree's with them. I don't think down was being disrepectful at all. I think there are more problems here than to worry about hurting someone's feeling? dont you?This forum is all about someone opinion and if we can't voice that opinon then whats the point on being on here
Wow long post! When I started the Duragesic Patch years ago, the pharmacist and doctor said about 12 hours or so. I had also had a Famous Pain Management doctor tell me it can take up to the 72hours to work its full potential and then you have to change. I had also read that after I had detoxed off the horrrible Duragesic/Fentanyl patch!
Good luck!
I don't think you fully understand the nature of some of the comments made. Some of the text used by a couple of members was either dangerous advise or telling them their just "out for a high"......The pain forum is not about ridicule or mis-leading info or getting someones feelings hurt.
I think Sandee was right in telling down that he should respect others...We should all respect each other. If you think the pain forum has bigger worries then you should address them......
I'm very new to this group and I sought it out because of my chronic pain...been on Morphone (controled and extended release) for about 1yr but now seem to be building tolerance to it and/or pain worsening...
...point is that this topic is seeming to get off track...yes its important to respect each other and give appropriate/safe advice...but maybe others can voice their personal experiences in starting out on the patch...
I for one am scared to!!!!!!  I am starting tomorrow AM (to give time to have some morphone out of system before starting)...all the warnings scare the **** out of me!!!  I'm worried about the pain factor (that it wont work) but also scared about the whole "stopping breathing thing!" :/
So...again, new here, but maybe the topic can focus on yobo's original post...about how long took to kick in, and maybe I can ask that others add on how they felt, things they did to reduce side effects (Yobo, how is it going with it since been on a bit now?)
:)
I'm sorry I don't think I understood what you were saying, are you saying that you are starting on the patch??

Hi btrfly6499,

This community is for everyone and I have to say that yes everyones opinion matters here. I also have to repeat that we really like to make sure the advice given is safe and when one heats up this patch they are no longer safe and that is not something I want nor does anyone here.

I am wondering how your doing and have you started the patch? Mollyrae has been on these for some time and can and will help you all she can. I will make sure she knows your asking for advice. Also Jaybay is very familiar with the patch and will help all she can.
We only want to make sure everyone is safe and stays that way. I am sorry if anyone was offended.

Thanks,
Sandy
hi, sorry if was confusing, i'm stressed lately ;(
I started 50mcg patch saturday AM...had to stop MS Contin (was on 300mg/day) to start it so i've been miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiserable, so much pain...the patch dosage seems low, and my pain doc has me adding 25mcg patch to the 50mcg patch for now to see if doing 75mcg will help or not (he did it this way because didnt want to give me 3 different rxs, so had me start the 50mcg with option of adding the 25mcg patch if needed...ONLY adding it now AFTER confering with him and confirming to start it).
Has anyone else done this? where do you put the other patch? oy.
Yes, I eased on to a therapeutic patch dose in the same manner as you.  Place both patches on at the same time, and keep them close together.  Everyone is different as far as how well the adhesive works (or doesn't work) so try different parts of your body.  You'll want a spot that doesn't sweat a great deal and that skin oil isn't a problem.  I've settled in to placing patches anywhere on my rib cage, and just alternate the sides.  

To keep track of when you put on the patches, just write down the date on them before application.  You don't want to use the same spot over and over again because your skin can get very irritated.

I'm not at all surprised that 50 mcg wasn't enough for you after being on MS contin.  As with any change in medication, it can take some time to figure out individual equivalents.  It sounds like your doctor is a good one though, so you should quickly get to the right dose for you.  :-)
Thank you so much for the suggestions.  It makes me feel somewhat better to know that the 50mcg not working isnt a sign that i'm just doomed (cause, honestly, after being on so many meds you kinda feel like that)...the ms contin WAS working but just over the last year i had to keep increasing it every few months because of increasing tolerance, so in last 3 weeks, my pain intensity was just worse.  I started the 25mcgt patch last night, so i have both on now...will change them so both start together come thursday night...fingers crossed about the 75mcg.  I am so glad i found this site...i have been in this pain for over 3.5yrs (which i know to some is nothing!) but I just feel like i'm at my breaking point right now...i have been in tears since end of last week...moreso last few days because of pain worsening (and crying is the stupidest thing to do bc it makes it worse!).  So thank you for advice/suggestions...i did make sure to put dates/dosing on the patches and will try different spots (i sweat...a lot...its disgusting, lol...so i'm trying my mid/lower back b/c less change of that there...will try ribs when change on thursday).
Thank you again :)
hi new  this site - I was wondering about typical side effects of the patch   - im on a 25 plus 12mcg for about 6mo and am beginning to feel very tired (more than normal )  emotions not in a good way - confused and having hard time thinking straight.  I know i need to go to my dr - I was so confused i mixed up my days and missed my appt this week - only saw me long enough to give me more scripts -- ANY ADVICE --plz i fee like a freak!!
hey mbell67, not sure if you are up to it, or mentioned it in another post, but what is your pain related to...does it stem from an illness, accident...or just random? where is it? (i ask because sometimes if you have an illness that the pain stems from, it could be that illness flaring...like MS for example...you can start out with pain, or have pain consistently/chronicly, but then have flare ups that cause other problems...not that you have MS, i'm not dx'ing or anything like that, just using as example). regardless i hope u feel better!!!!!!!
hi there!, my pain is odd.  over 15years ago both femurs broken in MVA.- didn't think I was going to live;  rods with pins were placed inside (i was very late teens) healed up great!  had no pain whatsoever; however, of course the pins had to be removed for me to walk.  Therapy, therapy......... Then!!  several years later in another very strange head on collision (in which my seat belt not being worn) my body, knees first slammed against the dash.  The rods inside my legs, at this point, not too much holding them in place , other than bone, shot up the femur shaft, and blew off the top of the "femoral caps"? (if that's what theyre called). I have also seen at some point bone fragments floating about above my 'greater trocaner'? This has resulted in extreme pain.  Upon seeing x-rays, the rods are not where they are supposed to be but several millimeters, if not 1/2 inch out of my femur.  This may not sound painful to some but there are lots of nerves and muscles that are in that area that are incredibly inflamed and i can feel it.  It feels like walking on red hot pokers, which you HAVE to bear weight on to walk..  This is consistent, non-stop pain Ive been dealing with for about 8 years now
how are you doing with the patches - I hope well.  I was for years on percocets, vicodin etc.  this has been the best for me, different side affects though.  Id rather have these i think than the ones before - I was worried in the beginning too.  My dr.  said she has heard many complaing about the third day there not being much of an effect  - so she agreed to my changing patches every 2 days - hope ur doing better too
I am new to this forum also and would like to add that I am on 125 mcg Fentanyl. I use the tape from the Dr.`s office, the cloth like tape and cover the patches, it works great!! Last week though I had a patch fold in half before I could get it on, then couldn`t unfold it. That was not good lol. But I love the patches they have been wonderful for me. Thank you for your time.

Take care everyone
Mutuals
I'm a pain mgmt pt with a long history of surgeries, metal rods in back & leg, etc. I'm now at a 28 day detox program to get off this stuff.  It may help with pain but you will become a prisoner!  Get off the fentanyl as soon as you can because it's HELL to detox!
Do any of you have to take a PRN. I'm on oxycodone (IR) 15mg 6x a day as needed. Sometimes I need more (6) other days 5. I'm on Fentanyl 100mcg every 48 hours. History of 12 neck surgeries and a knee replacement and heart valve replacement. Chronic pain. Don't get high on this regimen at all but able to move around more than without taking the meds. Does this seem a lot? I have a good rapore with my pain mgmt team. They want me to have another MRI next week on my neck to see where it is at. I have numbness (totally) to both arms usually one at a time and some pretty bad neck pain still. Please advise.
Hi.  This post is over a year old. You may get better information if you post a new question.

I will say I was on a similar dose to you, though my BT meds were a bit higher.  I found it to be too much for me, and I've since tapered off the Fentanyl completely and am down to a lower dosage of the BT med.  I haven't found my pain to be much worse.  It's about the same as when on the higher doses.

But if you have faith in your pain management team, then they'll know best.  Though ultimately you need to make the decision on how much pain you can tolerate.
Hello All !!!!!    :D
I am new to your forum (Just found this site online today and joined.) and have just been prescribed the Mylan Fentanyl patches at 75mcg/hr. every 72hrs and 2mg dilaudid 3x/day as needed for breakthrough pain.) I was in a serious MVA last September (9/23/10 to be exact) where I clipped a cars' front bumper with my rear bumper, lost control of my car, spun 360 and hit another car; I then flipped completely over one time and was slammed into the concrete shoulder. I broke my pelvis in four places, broke 6 teeth, fractured my jaw, and had massive head trauma. I had surgery to reattach the left wing of my pelvis to my SI joint and had screws inserted in my pubic and pelvic bones. For the past year I had been on oxycontin (40mg 3x/day) and roxicet (5mg - 2 pills 2x/day) and unfortunately those meds have stopped being effective. So, its day 2 of my first patch and I have to say, for the first time in a year, I feel like I have my life back. I noticed a few people are scared and concerned with all of the warnings on these patches and I would like to let them know that although everyone is different, fentanyl patches are becoming more commonly prescribed than ever. If you have been on precription pain meds for some time, your body shouldn't have any problem adjusting to them. (Like I said, everyone is different)  Also, I agree with the lady who posted to be your own advocate. Every time my dr. prescribes me a medication, the first thing I do is go online and research it. This may help to calm some of your fears. Lastly, and I know this is a long post, and for that, I apologize; I read online yesterday that MOST people who are prescribed the patch never have any issues with the medication. The only side effect I have had so far is really, really, REALLY dry mouth. (Kinda feel like Jim Carey's character did in Me, Myself, and Irene when he took his psych meds. - lol) Chewing gum and sucking on hard candy helps. I have to say I am thankful I found this forum, as I have been told that the pain I have will most likely be a chronic, life-long battle. And, on Monday, when I heard this news, I was a wreck. I would enjoy having people to talk to when it all seems to be to much to handle. So, thats my history and my meds. I wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday season!! =D
I have been dealing with chronic hip pain for 16 months secondary to a MVA.  I have FAI syndrome with Cam impingement and labrel tears.  My condition has progressed from bad to worse and all low-level treatment has been tried including physical therapy.  I have been chewing on vicodin, skelaxin, motrin 800, valium and percocet for 16 months until they just don't cut it anymore.  My dr. prescribed Savella (commonly prescribed for fibromyalgia) and have been on that a week....horrible side effects but I'm hanging in there.  He also started me on the duragesic patch today at 25 and to be changed every 72 hours.  My concern is that if one of the side effects of Savella is severe dry mouth...and duragesic....I'm gonna be licking people's sweat for relief!  Anyway..walking every day is a challenge and I'm hoping that I can taper off vicodin with this patch.
I to have had 3 back surgeries,I have screws, rod a cage. I have taken percs, lyrica, Tramazadine,  for the nerve damage in my legs and I also hv a spinal cord stimulator that does not help much.  My doc had me on the patch 25mg, for the past 9months.  I am now on 50mg, patch. Lyrica  4x a day and no break through Meds.    Don't know how I'm gonna feel without the BT Meds cuz my pain level is always high.   The 25mg patch never did much for me.  The percocets and tramazidine muscle relaxer was the better Meds, especially for the burning in my legs, but they were only short acting.  I so wish I didn't hv to go through this pain day in and day out. It's so depressing.  Going on sites like these do help though.  
You make a great point in that doctors are individuals just like we are, and not all of them follow the manufacturer's prescribing guidelines.  Once a medication goes to market with FDA approval, it's open season to be prescribed in any manner an MD sees fit.
I am from Alberta your site is great i had cancer in my neck i have been in pain for 4 years  neck and lower spine chronic pain started on percoset then oxyconton 80 s to fent 3 100mg/h every 72 hours yet on the last 72 hours i suffer it mudt run out when i put new patches on it take 8 hours plus time the whole day i suffered a #8 pain  i would like to go to 48 hours what do u think
I change my patches every 48 hours.  My doctor initially wrote my script this way so I have not experienced the patch's effects out to 72 hours.  I do know that the effectiveness begins to wane on the 2nd day so I could only imagine what it might possibly feel like on the 3rd day.

I would simply talk with your doctor and see what he thinks.  Just tell him the patch isn't working past x number of hours < 72 hours and that you researched that sometimes the patch is rx'd every 48 hours and see what he says.  If he wants to keep you on a every 72 hour schedule, then ask if you could be alotted more breakthrough pain meds to take on the 3rd day.

Good luck and keep us posted.

femmy
To relieve the dry mouth symptoms, use biotene toothpaste and biotene mouth rinse. These products are available over the counter at most drug stores and large chains such as Meijer. Do not use any whitening toothpastes as they can promote dry mouth. I am a dental hygienist and many of my patients find relief from these products. Good Luck.
I think I am reading/responding to a thread and comments that seem to have been written in 2008?  It is doubtful that anyone is out there anymore.

I have been taking Morphine 400 mg/4 hours, since 1998.  Took a break for a while, started up again on Oxy 30 mg/2 hours and added Morphine recently, to little avail.  I have a strong tolerance but must introduce it slowly or will vomit.  I needed to get stronger medication in my system but avoid my stomach - and just won't do IV administration.  I was told about Duragesic last night in the ER.  I applied my first 100 mcg Fentanyl gell patch tonight at 8 pm (2 hours after my last 30 mg Oxy).  It's now midnight and the pain is pretty darn awful.  I feel no effects helpful nor harmful.  I read that it can take between 8 - 24 hours for relief to begin.  The Q is:  Would it be safe to take an IR Oxy 30 mg at this juncture or should I just keep trying to hang in there for the Fent to work?  Any suggestions? I am a stickler about taking my meds as prescribed - but I simply lack access to professional advice at this hour.

I hope someone is out ther!  Many thanks!  L.
I see what your saying ! Meds should only be taking as prescribed by Dr. for your safety .
try not to be on patches for to long . they are very hard to get off them . ive been on them for over 6yrs. 100mcgs every 48hrs.i got fifteen a month. My Dr. Now knows tht i want to get off them so i went to 100mcgs every two days to every 72hrs. Now i am on 75mcgs every 72hrs it took me five months to go from 100's to 75mcg. So if you dont have to go higher i suggest you don't if you don't have too. Goodluck to anyone trying to get off these things. its not easy.
Yes it is possible the dose you are taking is not working. I am taking a 25mg and 12.5 mg patch. This is working for me now. I was taking a 50mg patch and thats way to much. You will have to try different doses to find whats rt for you. Good Luck.
Hi Lynn27 I just started the patch yesterday. I too have a spinal cord stimulator for the RSD after a MVA 3 years ago today.How long have you had the stimulator? I got mine last June and it has been great. My ankle is tolerable. However the minute it needs to be charged I turn into a different person because of the pain. The RSD was in my ankle and has now traveled up my leg more. I do take the pain meds because of severe arthritis in my ankle and knee. I stopped the oxycontin and am trying the patch. Anything I should look out for? Hope to hear from you....
Just FYI but the person you are replying to hasn't been around since May of this year...

So you could start your own thread with your information and questions about the patch and you will get more answers not being hidden in a thread that is 4 years old...

I hope you will do this so people can offer their thoughts:)
Well, unfortunately for me, it was the 5th of NEVER! It didn't ever help my pain, and I was on a HIGH dose, but I became allergic to the adhesive and FINALLY the pain management Dr. let me quit! I Still have what I think are going to be scars, all over my upper thigh and some on my upper arm. It never itched, hurt, or (unfortunatelt) worked for me! But I just tried that horror drug OPANA! Lord give me stength! I was sicker than a dog...but so sleepy, and in pain, NOT a winning combo!
I am with you, my doctor specifically told me it was up to me whether I staggered them by days, etc. I was on them for 3-4 months, 4-100mg patches at once. I HAD to stagger them, the way the medicine is released the doctor told ME it was better that way! And I have never gotten into trouble, they fall off so easy, especially in the summer, I lost quite a few before the adhesive started to eat away my skin and i stopped! They never worked good for pain for me anyway, and I KNOW my dose was high.I have nver experienced being treated like a criminal because of my medical history EXCEPT at the local emergency rooms! I can't believe how some states seem to be, I think they are pumping out young Dr's that don't want to relieve anyones pain, if it involves THEM having to write a triplicate! What do they think they make the drugs for? not just cancer patients, my son died of leukemia, and I am on more medication than he was..., for pain,..until the end.
Just FYI but you are posting to people who haven't been here since 2008...

Thanks, I never even noticed the date!. I will pay attention to the date from now on...but actually, I posted as a reply to someone that DID post not to long ago! The post showed up after the long-ago post! i don't understand the posting concept, but it is hard to reply to someone's question, they just put it (your answer), antwhere they want...unless I am missing something!
  hello , i am so new to this that i am not sure if anyone is out there to hear me out . (please)..... i have use of one hand only due to an elevator accident. all this was in 2001. i have had 6 surgeries and lots of hardware put in my arm . damn elevator crushed me as i was exiting and and trapped me and i used my arm to push door open . i broke the blood supply to bone and got avascular necrosis. i have chronic pain , high blood pressure , diabetes, high cholest. , restless leg syndrome , and too much more . i have been on morphine ir for breakthur pain and fentanyl patches every 72 hrs. well after all the time was some what stable , when now my internal med. dr started doing urine test , 2 came back negative. oh no , never have i ever had any issues with drugs or alchol , i dont drink , smoke or dont even leave my home , my disabled hubby and i stay home and go out only for drs appts. well i was shocked , i asked her is there anyway something could be making this read neg.?? she said NO , I NEVER HEARD OF THAT .... OMG... i begged her pls do blood work , thats NEGATIVE AND I AM IN SHOCK . after reading on line this seems to occur more than known. again omg.... she will not prescribe my pain meds now and sent me to pain clinic , been there done that and was no help. they did some nerve block . well amy ideas or comments would be soooo welcome at this time. thanks in advance , goldy31160
This is what I've done for months now and it seems to keep that down time pain from happening. And if you will notice even at 72 hrs all the medicine is still not out of the patch. And if you have to pay for these you definitly want to use every bit of it cause they are very expensive when insurance doesnt cover them.
Hi! I just wanted you to know that I will pray for you and the rest of us...I feel for you, I really do...I suffer also and understand breaking points, depression(my own), "what am i going to do" thoughts and so on. I am glad I found this site since it makes me feel better to read that I am not alone...God Bless you!
Am on fentanyl for the second time, the first time the dr was stupid and the dose too low, no effect. Now on a higher dose and still in agony. The dr says to give it TEN days and come back and he will not allow anything for breakthrough pain. Next he wants to put me on methadone and that's very scary. I'm two days in on the new dose fentanyl and was reading this to see if it should have worked by now. Can't believe any dr suggested to put a heat pad on these things, is he trying to kill the patient??!! Any way good luck everyone, a life in pain is hell
Hello Mollyrae, I literally just had my first appointment at pain clinic on Thursday amd was put on a 50 fentanyl patch. The dr TOLD me tht heat induces the fentanyl faster so do tht, just not directly over patch. Also, it takes up to only12 hrs to get fully in your system but a full week to level out. U shud not be telling people to use more becuz u obviously dont no what your talking about. Maybe all docs are different but im pretty sure they wud stick with the same information.
I have read the comments here and would like to offer my OPINION here.
Being in the Fentanyl patch was horrible for me. It was supposed to help with the pain but I was too doped up to realize that I had lost an excessive amount of weight, slept all the time and did not care about what was going on around me. When I woke up one day and looked in the mirror and saw a face that scared the hell out of me, I got off the 50mcg of the Fentanyl patch because my weight was down to 108 from 150 lbs. It was rough but I did not want to be that person who I saw in the mirror that day. Since then I have gone back to the doctors to help correct my pain issues and insisted that the drugs were not doing me any good and what really needs to be addressed here was WHY was I in so much pain and what could be done about it. That is what needed attention here and I got a few answers and treatments but I really had to get the doctor to focus on the attention of treatments and not the drugs. Since then I am doing a little better. Went through a whole host of doctors for attention to what needed to be done and will continue to do so until I have some relief from my pain issues WHICH I have experienced in the past with proper treatments. That is the issue at hand so to everyone who is on the Fentanyl patch I say BEWARE of what this medication can do and the damage it does to your internal organs. My pancreas acted up because of all these pain medications I was on and now I have to take an enzyme for the rest of my life for pancreatic problems caused by these pain medication so BEWARE of the future and what is to come due to the damage that these medications can cause. Thank you for listening.
I was recently taken off one of my 100 mcq Fentynal patches after many years, my MS Contin all at once, and my Klonipin (klonopin) as well.

It's now been a month since my car accident, where I have no memory at all as to what even happened at all, and now was just told I had, had a stroke.

I had a bleed on my brain as well, I am still having many problems, especially with pain, but my boyfriend refuses to let me take anything other than the 100 Fentynal patch, which he now puts on well if it's it's Mon. he will put a new one on Wed.

I just don't want to be in pain, and want to be able to do a little around the house, but he just doesn't get it, will only help me in public
First time prescribed this for chronic lower back pain degenerative disk disease and bulging disks. I've been taking 10-325 vicodin morning, afternoon and evening 2 pills each time. My question is with the fentanyl 25mcg how alert I will be. I do a lot of driving for my job. I know I should not be but unfortunately I have to work so that's not an option.
My pain specialist told me today that fentanyl patches are used to relieve pain anywhere from 48 hours to 72, and if I am one of the ones who it only works up to 48 hours, he could write me a script for 15 a month so I could change it every 2 days, instead of 3, and insurances and pharmacists are aware of this issue with the patch and there is no problem with it.
Sorry Bout My Accent folks,..I have to agree with mr stnick on putting the patch on every 48 hours,1st month dose 25mg/72hr i complained he quickly said ill move you to 50mg. at 2nd apnt.  i was on 4 300mg lyrica an 8/800mg gabapentin,i ruined any hope of being pals with him.i said thats too much to soon. I said im not a paitent here anymore,As im walking out,he offered if i promised to take each patch at exactly or later than last patch.then chastised me that it oughta have been enough?
then states,id have to buy the overage,non formulated portion.Im happy to buy an pay,just to not increase the dose.As an adult i think i hope we all know the danger of this medicine.id never heard of it,or a patch for pain,i never look up medicine,so as not to get preconcived side effects.you get 27minutes each viset by law.he just forcefully told me how dangerous it was.forgetting where to place it,my chest ..i looked like a rabid dog shaveing spots lol,now i put them on my inner forearm,least fuzzy on me,but no matter,they came off.i found a bandaid 3-M Nexcare wtr proof,costly,but no skin rash,no marks or pain,
i still screw up,i have cut them in half,to make them last,
i aint no doctor but id hope folks have common sense nuff to look up drugs they take,the mayo clinic has less spam an is easier to understnd for me.

I also wanna say how sorry i feel for all of you here goin through this liveing hell.i know what its like at 2am ur on the floor in a ball rockin back an forth.
again i am so sorry that you hurt..thanks fer lettin me speak Le'roy
This post is a few years old! Please start a new one if you need info., or have some info.......Just saying..
       shinty
I have read through all of the Old Postings I found useful and I'm very happy they were there. Most of my questions were answered.
Why???
your guess is as good as mine I have had 2 docs tell me at least 12 hrs a nurse say at least 12 hrs and the newest doc say 5 hrs so as far as I am concerned not even a doc can give a decent answer....go with what yer doc is saying if you trust them...I can not trust what any doc in my town says about it now so I refuse to take it anymore ....it has also put me in a life threatening situation cause I forgot to change my patch out....I personally think this drug is very dangerous and should be used with extreme caution
dont ever heat it up. my brother had used one for the first time and heated it up and it made him die. i cant say it enought, its very dangerous, it was the gel kind. he read it online to do it and that it was safe..and well u can not believe everything u read, you hafta ask your own Dr. because now hes gone, and he was only 30 yrs old, my baby brother  RIP
exactyl
Six years later yet still, I wanted to take a moment to thank you for posting this nytimes article.
I'm very concerned about starting the patch. From all of the patient feedback it seems so many write of how unhappy they've been with their experience as opposed to those commenting on success with it.
Omg, this may not seem painful to some? I just read this year's after you wrote it and nearly vomitted thinking of the pain you must be in. I'm still queasy. How are you? Has your medical team done anything to correct the movement of the rods?
All my best and bless you...
You are so correct, also, if you apply them sooner, you will run out sooner and no pain management center will write you an early prescription!!! So you will be going through very, very painful DT's. Plus, putting a heating pad over it is just plain suicide!!!