Pain Management Community
I have mild scoliosis in my lower with degenerative disks
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I have mild scoliosis in my lower with degenerative disks

I have been diagnosed by a Dr., I have had my entire back ex-ray'd. After many years of prescribed pain killers finally a new Dr. prescribed me Gabapentin. I was started out for the first 2 weeks taking 1 at night then progress to 2 at night (at 300 mlg). I have been on them for 6 months and they worked, worked great and now they seem to not be working. I do need to revisit for my annual, I would like to know is there a better neuro med out there? I have been doing a wide variety of searching but just have not found anything. Gabapentin seems to be one of the meds that is widely prescribed from what I read. Please help me out.

much appreciated.
Blank
356518_tn?1322267242
I was told by my PMP just this month that the Lyrica is a much better drug as it has been fine tuned so to say. I do take Lyrica and it is a blessing for me. Although it is the same drug basically I believe the Lyrica works better for me.
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1805240_tn?1317232331
oh you're to sweet, thanks... everything is day by day. You will get thru your surgery, you will have awesome Dr's to make sure you and your lil one is not at harm's way. Have faith and take a deep breath.

Im sorry to hear you were hit with 2 arrows, kind of like lightning... its rare to be hit but there are others out there that have been hit.

Many hugs to you
Blank
547368_tn?1332173665
Hi Tennisrookie,

Sorry to hear about your returning pain. If I am calculating your dose correctly you are on 600mgs of a Gabapentin. This is not a high dose and you may want to discuss an increase of the Gabapentin with your physician.

There are other similar medications that may be more beneficial too. This is a discussion that needs to be between you and your physician. The journey through Chronic Pain is not easy.... but with a good physician and the right medications it can be easier.

I hope you will find a solution to your increasing pain. Please let us know how you are doing.

My Best to You,
~Tuck
Blank
1805240_tn?1317232331
Thank you Tuck, I will be discussing it with her, I was so appreciative that she was able to prescribe me a medication that all the others would just mask.

Thank you very much, I will keep in touch regarding what my Dr. has advised.

Tennisrook
Blank
356518_tn?1322267242
I was told by my PMP just this month that the Lyrica is a much better drug as it has been fine tuned so to say. I do take Lyrica and it is a blessing for me. Although it is the same drug basically I believe the Lyrica works better for me.
Blank
1805240_tn?1317232331
hmm, thank you.. I will talk with her (my Dr.) about that drug I appreciate your info I like to know the variety of options for me.

Thank you :D
Blank
1805240_tn?1317232331
I wanted to thank both of you for answering my question, both were very helpful.
Blank
1331804_tn?1336870958
Great advice everyone!  Just to add a couple of things.

The dose for gabapentin can go as high as 3600 mg per day.  I take 1200 mg per day and it has helped a lot with my pain but not by itself alone.  I take other medications as well that overall reduce my pain.

Lyrica is sometimes considered a stronger form of gabapentin.  Gabapentin is generic for Neurontin and Lyrica is brand name for Pregabalin.  There have been several posts online from patients taking Lyrica, saying that the side effects are more severe than with Gabapentin.  I have never tried Lyrica so I don't know if that would be the case for me.  Everyone is different though.  

But to give you my opinion, I would recommend discussing an increase of the gabapentin with your physician before trying another type of anti-convulsant since you know that it was working for your pain and may start working again with a higher dose.  I would bring up the Lyrica as well to get your physician take on the medication and whether or not he/she thinks it would be helpful.  Be sure to ask for a comparison between the two, especially relating to the side effects.

Best of Luck at your appointment!  :)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank