Pain Management Community
I have pain directly in my hip joint, it goes down my leg to my right k...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have pain directly in my hip joint, it goes down my leg to my right knee

hip pain
Hello fds, sorry for your pain!  You didn't add much information?  Some more information might help if your seeking some questions.  If your just posting as a first time and telling us your pain, then hello and welcome to the community!
You are describing the exact same kind of pain I have had for many many years.The pain starts in my right hip & radiates down my leg into my knee & down my calf to my ankle. I've been to Dr after Dr but no one can figure out the cause. There is nothing that is seen on xrays or MRI. It just hurts severely at most times. I've not had an injury or accident so that is not a cause. If you ever get an answer be sure to post it so maybe I'll be closer to an answer.
You don't provide a lot of information. Additional information would be helpful. When did this begin and how long have you had it? Was it connected to an injury? What makes the pain worse or better? Is the area red, hot or swollen?

Often shooting hip pain can be the result of trochanteric bursitis or better know as hip bursitis. This bursa is the largest one in the body and when inflamed can cause severe pain. The pain can travel into the leg and sometime be referred into the knee or back. Touching the hip area or lying on it usually induces greater pain.

A bursa is a fluid filled sac that allows smooth motion between two uneven surfaces, in this case your hip joint. Under normal conditions it allows for painless motion of the hip joint.

There are also other conditions that can be causing this pain including a tendonitis such as Iliotibial band tendonitis. I think we all know how painful tendonitis can be.

I encourage you to consult with your PCP. A clinical evaluation should provide him/her with enough information to diagnosis the problem. I have had the very painful  trochanteric bursitis. It has been relieved with a quick injection of a steroid. I was 100% in a few days. I've had to have it repeated a few times over the course of about fifteen years but once you've had it you know the pain.  

I wish you the best and hope that you will share with us the results of your PCP visit. Thanks for posting.

Take Care,
Tuck
You should see asap as Tuck said a good ortho x rays show bone, fractures, and like that.  If you get an MRI take my advise seriously I'm gonna give you here:
kindly to have your Vit. D level checked, and all Vitamins, and ask your primary, or
ortho surgeon to order an MRI of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine with
contrast oh yah!...If they say it's not necessary tell them you want to know now so you can avoid a bigger problem later, and somebody should already know this.  
Get checked out thoroughly it could be something or nothing but it sounds like something but am not a doctor don't wait for the green light go
Keep us posted.
Hello my name is Jeanne, and my problem is the pain coming from my hip and it seems like its on the inside of my hip streaming down my thigh to my right knee. I cannot lay on my right side without this pain throbing very badly sometimes. Can you help? Or do you have an answer for this?
Check out this link. It helped me a lot understanding and pin pointing the pain. Scans did not show anything. Then following the video I found through this link I was able to express what I thought it was and then I went to a neuro muscular specialist. She and I worked it together, muscle imbalance and pressure point, and it cleared away in 2 weeks.

http://sock-doc.com/2011/08/piriformis_low-back-pain_sciatica/