I need to quit smoking to save my spine
I've read that smoking can make discs degenerate, but I always take reports on smoking with a grain of salt. They seem to like to inflate the numbers, and if someone smokes and has DDD it doesn't mean smoking caused it, or even contributed. Otherwise every smoker would probably have them.

Either way if I have surgery, I need to quit. I'm just scared, because it's hard to do and being in this horrific pain makes it even harder.
Morning;
   I am 67 days and counting today. I had to quit smoking, I had no other choice. I woke up and tossed the cigarettes and never looked back. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever done. You can do it, I've been smoking since I was 12 years old, I am 54 now, a lot of years. You have to want to quit, or you'll feel pressured. Good luck to you.

gentle hugs
Angel
You can do it if you truly want to quit. The secret is that your desire to quit must be stronger than your desire to smoke. It's the toughest the first week but you can do it. It gets easier with every passing day after that first week. At least that was my experience.

I believe there is a tobacco cessation forum on MH. If you would like me to check it out for you I will. Just let me know.

Good luck,
Tuck