Pain Management Community
IC pain management

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

IC pain management

I was just diagnosed with IC. I have been in acute pain for several weeks. My doctor prescribed Phenazopyrid(Azo) and Amitriptylin but nothing for pain.  I called her back a few days after starting on meds and said that I really need something for pain and she advised me to just go to the emergency room. I am so frustrated with Dr's care.  What medications have worked to control acute pain?   This was my Gynecologist that referred me to the hospital, I am thinking that I need to follow through with a urologist? I wish I knew an informed one in the Kansas City area...
Hello Banders,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your uncontrolled pain.
By IC I believe you mean Interstitial cystitis? Is that correct?

I think your physician's approach to pain control, "go to the emergency room" is a poor one and not realistic. ER may provide you with some very short term pain relief but you need more than that even from the little I know about IC.

A Urologist may be a good starting point. If he/she is not willing to help with pain control you may want a referral to a pain management physician. I don't know what state you live in or how they manage chronic pain. In my state it is our PCP that are our PMPs in terms on prescribing narcotic medications. In many other stats it is a PMP that does so.

However a urologist may have solutions or recomendations for your type of pain. You are always welcome here but we do have a urology forum that I encourage you to also post on. If you have any problems finding it under "Forums" at the top of this page please let me know. That community should have more and better first hand information for you.

I hope you will let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck
There is a lady on the IC forum, Shelly. She also has a website called MOARKIC. She is very helpful, kind and full of information. My ob also diagnosed IC, and she's the one that originally gave me the referral to pain management. I also went to a urologist who confirmed the diagnosis by doing a procedure called cystscope with hydrodistention. I have other pelvic issues as well but I feel for you. I can ALWAYS single out my bladder flares and they are horrible. You might need a narcotic  but believe it or nor, nerve pain medications also go pretty far. From my experience they are going to want to start you with Erlmiron and will want you to give it 6 months to see if it is effective. They may also do instills. The cysto itself is therapeutic and I actually got several months of relief in the beginning after my cycto. That is also the only way to REALLy diagnose IC. They need to veryfi that the inside of your bladder is cracked and bleeding to really diagnose it. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. There are support groups and the IC Network puts out a monthly newsletter that can be helpful. As you  probably already know, cut out the tomatoes, oranges, spices... That was my biggest aggravation in the beginning complete change of diet, no soda, and no coffee :(
i also have ic,turns out ive had it since i was 4, but its a new disease so i was dianosed at 15.now at 28, im still dealing with the pain and frustion,u deffently should call a urologist in ur area,there is a pill called vesicare that helps with the pain as far as numbing it a little.there is no pain med they will give to u for it ive tryed everything,also u should try elmiron it helps to build ur bladder wall and lessens the flares.also have ur urologistcheck for ulsers in ur bladder that may also be causeing alot of pain.good luck and i hope u feel some relief.
They use to have prosed ds with atropine and it would completely kill the pain of IC.  I have had it since 1992.  I first had distention with DMSO treatments and after some time I went into remission for 10 years.  I got a flare up, had DMSO three times and remission again for three years.  Then in 2005 when I got it I took the prosed instead of DMSO because it killed the pain.  Unfortunately they stopped making it because of the atropine but they continued to make the prosed ds atropine free.  It helped and put me in remission again.  Don't give up.  There is hope.  Now if I feel a flare up coming I take a combo of AZO over the counter and Prosed DS and it's usually in remission within days.  Definitely see a UROLOGIST, other doctors really don't know enough about IC to give you any help.  Most really dont know what to do.  Person about says vesicare helps with numbing the pain, wouldn't hurt to try it....The doctor who told you to go to the emergency room for pain meds is an idiot!!