Pain Management Community
Implanted Pain Med Pump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Implanted Pain Med Pump

I had a pain med pump implanted in August '08 for lower back pain caused by failed back surgery syndrome.  Does anyone know if there is a certain or approximate period of time that it takes for your body to adjust to a new dosage?  I last had my pump re-programmed with a higher dose the beginning of January 2009 and scheduled for the next pump re-programming (upping the dosage) beginning of March 2009, but, I am in so such pain right now that I feel like I don't even have the pump!  Don't get me wrong, this pain pump WORKS but I think that I've waited too long (since beginning of January 09) and have another week to go before the new higher dose will be programmed into the pump. I used to have the pump reprogrammed every 3 to 5 weeks and never experienced what I'm experiencing now.
My doctor's minimum timeframe between re-programming to higher dose is 3 weeks. I also take Percocet for the break-through pain which doesn't work as well right now either (probably due to the pain med pump not being able to take the edge off and control most of  the pain. Any comments?
I was just curious about your pain pump. I almost had one put in last year in March. I decided to wait and have another surgery to see if maybe they can fix what's wrong before I give up and resign to taking pain meds the rest of my life. My question is how was it working for you when you first got it? I understand now you need adjustments to a higher dose. Is it possible to rely solely on the paim pump and not to have to take anything for break thru pain, or will there always be a need for bread thru meds? The reason I was going to get one is because I am so tired of taking pills.
If your not getting the pain control you need then the pump is useless. Make sure the doctor knows your not getting the relief you need and ask can she adjust it sooner. If not see if she can give you a stronger break thru medication until you can get it readjusted.
I am sure after getting the pump in and it not giving you the relief you need she will adjust it so it will work like it should.
Good luck keep us up to date and we are all here if you need us.
Hello controlled:

Since my Doctor prescribed me one of the major pain medications, my breakthrough meds have not been effective. This is due to the major medication being so strong that the breakthrough just isn't working.

My Doctor had recently prescribed me a much stronger breakthrough which does work. I switched from Oxycodone (Percocet w/o Tylenol) to Morphine. I would suggest that you talk with your Doc and see if you can't get him to do the same. I really hope that you can resolve your pain issues soon. Please take care,
Mollyrae
Get the pain pump implanted!  I was at the point where nothing seemed to work and so tired of taking oral meds that never seemed to help before I went through the trial successfully and received the surgery for the pump.  It's not all roses as the trial, surgery and med adjustments are a long road to travel but WELL worth it!  Do some research on the Medtronic Pain Pumps and the PAIN MEDS but also be aware (as I was not) that if you do pass the trial successfully and your approved for the pump implant, the medication dose that is originally programmed into your pump is the LOWEST possible dose. My pump contains Morphine and for the first 4+ months, I was on a 3 week schedule for pain med pump adjustments until I ultimately got some relief. Still having to take oral pain meds for break-thru pain (will probably always have to take them) but ONLY AS NEEDED AND all my other meds have been eliminated!  Two possitve reactions for me have been that the pump meds don't fog my mind - I can actually think for the first time in 3 years - and I only have one bottle of pills! All the best to you and keep me posted...