Implanted pain pump
Is the pain pump implanted the same time as anterior & posterior spinal surgery?  I had lumbar fusion 2 yrs. ago & it failed.  My "new Dr." said he could do an anterior approach then finish with a posterior approach which could give me 70% pain relief.  He said the pain pump could give me more pain control.  I just want to know w/o calling my new surgeon.  Also, what kind of pain meds are used with the implanted pain pumps?  How often do they need refilled & does that hurt?  I have heard you can get spinal headaches & nausea with the pain pumps.  Is that so, or is that just something everyone has to contribute to something they never had done.  What, if any, are the limitations with a pain pump?  Where is it inserted?  Thank you, Shirley
Hello Shirley,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post your question and concerns.

A pain pump delivers targeted doses of pain medications to a specific area of the body. There are several different types of pain pumps, and a variety of uses for these devices. Our archives have multiple discussions on these pumps.

I do not have personal experience with a pain pump. I have heard and read good and back about these devices.  In my opinion it is important the the surgeon/physician be very skilled in this procedure. Read, read, and research this specific pump, pros and cons before you make an educated decision.

I believe once the implant is in, it's very difficult to remove. So if it it isn't effective you are left with permanent hardware or this device in your body.  

However if it is effective what a wonderful relief...to have your life back and your pain much better managed. It's a tough decision that can only be made between you and your physician.

I hope you will share your choice with us. We all learn from one another. I will be very interested to discover how well a pain pump works for you.

I wish you the very best and will look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck