Pain Management Community
Increased pain after Branch Medial Block

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have had Increased pain after Branch Medial Block plus at night when I am in bed a sleep my body goes completely numb.  It feels as if it asleep, my fingers feel fat and I can not even turn over when I am on my stomach.  It goes away after I re-position myself.  It does not happen all the time.  I had the Branch Medial Block about 6 months ago and my neck pain has increased as well.  

I have told my PM Dr this numerous times and I noticed today in my office notes that he never mentions it nor does he act like it is a big deal.  Is he just covering his butt and hopes it goes away?  I have complained about increased pain for 4 months now and never ONCE did I ask for an increase in medicine.

Has anyone else ever experienced this before?
Hi Larbec and welcome back.

I'm not so sure that you should be relating this just to your PM Doctor..I would mention it to your regular Doc. as well. This sounds like it needs addressing and rather soon. While PM Doctors are great at treating the pain, they are not always the best person to diagnose your other symptoms.

Please take care and good luck.
Mollyrae
Larbec,

I agree that you may want to see another physician. Possibly a neurosurgeon or neurologist may offer you better suggestions/solutions. You may also want to seek out another PMP.

Whenever a physician is not listening to you or belittles your concerns, it is time to move on, at least in my opinion. Don't forget that physicians are really service providers. You hire them to perform a service, they are not doing you a favor or working for nothing. And contrary to what some of them beleive, they are not Gods.

Your pain should not be getting worse. Please let us know how you are doing and the results of your search for answers. We will look forward to your updates. Don't be gone so long. You were missed.

Peace,
Tuck
I've also been advised to have this procedure by my pysiatrist and after alot of reading from others there doesn't seem to be many with positive results...so I declined the procedure so far.
I can understand NOT helping with the pain but I sure have a hard time with MAKING PAIN WORSE....
good luck to you
Hmmm....I just asked a question about this procedure...wondering if it was worth the money and the possible risks involved. It sounds like you had a rough experience. Do you think this just because your doctor was unskilled at the procedure perhaps? Can someone enlighten me?
He is supposed to be one of the best in the USA actually ppl fly in from all over to see him.  I can tell you this, you are not knock out nor put in a twilight for this procedure, it is uncomfortable.  He may have done some other nerve damage.  My neuro is looking into it at least but has not come up with any solutions as of yet
its very risky anytime ur dealing with the nerves around the spinal cord....even with excellent specialists.
read lots.
Why would he not be putting my increased pain and numbness in my office notes?  It's amazing how he puts "looks tan", "well dressed" but does'nt put "pain seems to have increased sue to medial branch block"
yes ODD to say the least....perhaps he's a fashion designer by night?? lol
good luck
I personally would go for a second opinion.  I was getting the run around with my old PM.  However, when I did get my second opinion, I was dropped from that PM with in 20 minutes of some MRI records being faxed to the surgeon that was giving me the second opinion.

I tell you.  Almost after ever nerve block or ESI I've had, I've had increased pain.  I had 3 herniated discs and have had one repaired so far.  I'm going in for a second fusion really soon.

My old PM did not treat my pain as well as he should have.  I felt like he really didn't care or he didn't believe me.  I had spinal cord compression and it took him 6 months before he said okay for the first surgery.  I'm so glad I'm out of there and with this new place.