Pain Management Community
Information on Opana for pain management

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hello there! I have been reading quite a few posts regarding the drug, "Opana". I have never heard of it until just recently and am curious about it. I take Morphine 60mg ER three times a day and Oxycodone 15 mg IR every 6 hours for breakthrough pain. In the past, I have taken Dilaudid and wondered if Opana was similar to that in formulation? Also, it seems as though my meds are not as effective at controlling my pain as they were when I started taking them a year ago. Is it possible that I may already need a higher dosage? Trixie
You may not necessarily need a higher dose, sometimes a change in medication can do the trick and rotate every year or so, that can help keep your tolerance down a bit. As for Opana, it will either work great for you or not at all. It's bio-availability is only around 10-15% so it really just depends. But, like I said, some people respond really well to it and some don't. Its worth a shot if you have insurance, it is really expensive, even the new generic is expensive. Good luck to you!
Hello! Thank you very much for responding to my post. Chances are, if Opana is an expensive drug, my health insurance would rather my physician prescribe something different! I really appreciate the information though and also the input on alternating medications to avoid tolerance. This site has been very helpful to me. I am glad it was introduced to me. It is a success due to people like you who take the time to answer questions. Thanks again, Trixie

Trixy71 gave you very sound advice. Thank you for thanking them! Does that make sense??? Opana is expensive, as it's a new drug without a generic on the market yet. It's covered under most health insurance plans, including medicare part D.
Hi Shinty, actually the generic is out now. Has been for about 2 months. My husband takes Opana. I didn't realize they went to generic until I turned in his prescription for it and the pharmacist told me that if he wanted the brand they would have to order it.

Also, thank you 8-)
Hello there! All advice and information is very much appreciated. Thanks! Trixie