Pain Management Community
Information on Opana for pain management
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Information on Opana for pain management

Hello there! I have been reading quite a few posts regarding the drug, "Opana". I have never heard of it until just recently and am curious about it. I take Morphine 60mg ER three times a day and Oxycodone 15 mg IR every 6 hours for breakthrough pain. In the past, I have taken Dilaudid and wondered if Opana was similar to that in formulation? Also, it seems as though my meds are not as effective at controlling my pain as they were when I started taking them a year ago. Is it possible that I may already need a higher dosage? Trixie
Blank
You may not necessarily need a higher dose, sometimes a change in medication can do the trick and rotate every year or so, that can help keep your tolerance down a bit. As for Opana, it will either work great for you or not at all. It's bio-availability is only around 10-15% so it really just depends. But, like I said, some people respond really well to it and some don't. Its worth a shot if you have insurance, it is really expensive, even the new generic is expensive. Good luck to you!
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
You may not necessarily need a higher dose, sometimes a change in medication can do the trick and rotate every year or so, that can help keep your tolerance down a bit. As for Opana, it will either work great for you or not at all. It's bio-availability is only around 10-15% so it really just depends. But, like I said, some people respond really well to it and some don't. Its worth a shot if you have insurance, it is really expensive, even the new generic is expensive. Good luck to you!
Blank
Hello! Thank you very much for responding to my post. Chances are, if Opana is an expensive drug, my health insurance would rather my physician prescribe something different! I really appreciate the information though and also the input on alternating medications to avoid tolerance. This site has been very helpful to me. I am glad it was introduced to me. It is a success due to people like you who take the time to answer questions. Thanks again, Trixie
Blank
1326416_tn?1370930601

Trixy71 gave you very sound advice. Thank you for thanking them! Does that make sense??? Opana is expensive, as it's a new drug without a generic on the market yet. It's covered under most health insurance plans, including medicare part D.
Blank
Hi Shinty, actually the generic is out now. Has been for about 2 months. My husband takes Opana. I didn't realize they went to generic until I turned in his prescription for it and the pharmacist told me that if he wanted the brand they would have to order it.

Also, thank you 8-)
Blank
Hello there! All advice and information is very much appreciated. Thanks! Trixie
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pain Management Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...