Is hydrocodone 5mg/apap 500mg safe to take?
I've been prescribed a very small amount of hydrocodone 5mg pills for lower spine and neck pain that resulted from a car collision. I have taken maybe 10 of these pills in my lifetime. However, I always hesitate when I take them because i'm always afraid that it might suppress my respiratory system too much. I avoid taking them but sometimes I wish I had the courage to take one to ease the pain. When I do actually take one I feel lots better.

Does anyone feel the same way? How should I convince myself that taking ONE pill only is okay.

Thanks much
Hi!
I can understand your apprehensions. Also, I am happy to note that you are able to manage your pain without the medication. Actually 5mg is a very small dose and very unlikely to cause respiratory depression. However, if you take opioid pills daily, they can be habit forming. Hence, you could probably take them on your ‘bad’ days. Rest assured, this way you will never have a fixed amount of hydrocodone in your blood and hence are unlikely to suffer from respiratory depression. You could also join a chiropractor and a physiotherapist as exercises can also help in pain relief to a great extent. Take care!