Pain Management Community
Is it safe to take old Hydrocodone? 5 years old in bottle.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Is it safe to take pills that have been sitting tight in the pill bottle for 3 years past the usage date? These pills were dispensed 5 years ago. Hydrocodone 5mg/APAP500mg generic, one side of pill has a "V" other side says "35 92"

Thanks much.
why not get fresh ones? safe how?do you still have a script for them? whose are they? etc etc etc.  when in doubt follow the instructions on the bottle. does it say take one pill every month? ha! just kidding. that would be time release for sure!  
     hey  settle a bet for us----my friend says you are a younger 25 or so male and you have "discovered" these somewhere? i think you are older and male and somehow "stashed" them somewhere (they were yours) and just forgot about them?   Post back and let us know and what did you decide to do with them.     om
My personal opinion is that I would never take a medication that was prescribed that long ago for something that is medically going on now. Especially with a controlled substance, they are meant to be prescribed to a patient that has been thoroughly examined, given a diagnosis, and then monitored all by a current Dr.

The other reason not to is that many people can have an underlying health issue to where taking a strong medication, like an opiate, can cause an overdose or some strong side effect that can be dangerous.

I'm a bit worried in that you sound like you have just come upon these meds and they were not prescribed to you originally as you are describing the pills themselves by their identifiers...that sounds more like a "found" medication.

So....as if you can't guess my answer....it's not something that I would do or recommend anyone doing. If you are having such terrible pain that you need an opiate....you need to be seen by a Dr. to find out what is going on.
No!
Hi - I certainly don't know who you are or why you are wondering this issue etc., but I will choose not to judge you as just a pain seeker.  I have had things come up in the past (before on chronic pain management) where I suddenly needed pain medication for a sudden, unexpected pain - a tooth abscess, and couldn't see a dentist, or a construction injury, or crushing my fingers in a garage door - on and on.  You can't go to the ER everytime you might need a pain med for just one day or one night.  I've looked around for something I didn't use up previously and wondered if it were safe.

Just saying - lets not judge so quickly here.  You might ask a pharmacist, or look up online to see if you can find out the answer.  Personally - if your motives are OK and the drug has been kept dry, it is something I might do.  BUT - of course I agree with everyone - it's not my place to give that kind of advice - I just wanted to make you not feel like you were being thrown under the bus for your question.

Wish you the best.