Is oxycodone without acetaminophen stronger than with?
Is Oxycodone without Acetaminophen stronger than just Oxycodone Hydrochloride? My mother has been on Percocet for years, and for some reason her doctor has now switched her to just Oxycodone. She seems to think that 5mg of her new perscription is stronger than 10 of her old one(Oxy and acetaminophen...perc)! Is this true?
Nope. Not true. 5 mg. is not stronger than 10 mg.
Thats what I thought!!! See, her thinking is that it is more concentrated if it doesn't contain the acetaminophen...I told her 5 mg of Ocycodone is 5mg of Oxycodone no matter if it has Acetamiophen in it or not.
Can you ask her doctor his reasoning for this?  I know that some doctors say the opposite--that acetaminophen helps the opioid relieve pain for some reason. Maybe someone else will be on to comment further.

:)

Flower
She mentioned that he mentioned acetaminophen and the liver.
Her doctor probably put her on the plain oxycodone, (typically called roxycodone, but I don't know about that dose) because taking too much acetomenophen is bad for your organs.  
The mind is a powerful thing, though, and if she feels that it's stronger, then it may be best not to tell her it's not.  Sometimes we can trick ourselves into thinking medication is working better or worse than it really is.
I had a doctor tell me once that 10mg percocet was almost as strong as 30 roxycodone.  In that case it was not.  My MIL has taken both and she feels that two percoset 10 are equal to one roxycodone 30.  
Personally I don't know if it is because when I was on percoset it was only 1 at a time.
I said the same thing! Mind over matter. She had me going for a minute, hence my post lol. 5mg is mg, same drug just without acetaminophen right?! I won't tell her, because your right...if she feels as if she needs less, this is a great thing! Thanks!
Great posts! Interesting. Maybe she will feel that it's stronger. I always enjoy reading what other people have to say...something I had not thought of at all.

:)

Flower
I gave my husband a plain tylenol once and told him it was a vicodin.  He got all "loopy" from it.

The mind can be pretty tricky, yes indeed.
LOL Peek.  THAT is hilarious.  
Hello Clsmith,

Oxycodone 5mg is not stronger than Oxycodone 10mg with acetaminophen. The acetaminophen has nothing to do with the strength of the oxycodone. However as suggested above it may be that her physician is concerned about the long term effects of acetaminophen.

The mind is powerful. I believe in being truthful with ppl especially when it comes to their health care. I wouldn't encourage you to lie to her but if she doesn't ask you're not being untruthful.    

And Peek... the stories of your funny Mr Peek always makes me laugh! :)
Haha!!! love it! Thanks for your comments guys!
The oxycodone or roxicodone brand is just the smae as the percocet.
I too agree that the mind is very powerful and if she believes it is stronger
and controls her pain that is great!
I do agree with Tuck that you should be honest if asked.
My doctor changed my script to Percocet without acetaminophen when I told him the Percocet was making me sick to my stomach and vomiting more often than not after taking them.... so far so good!
Does it work I was on per 10/650 now on oxycodone 10 mil without tyenol and it doesn't feel like its working
You're replying to someone who was here a year ago -- see the date of their post after their name?

Acetaminophen does have some analgesic properties, and if you take a  500mg tablet with your 10mg oxycodone tablet, then you're getting essentially the same medication.

However, the reason our doctor changed your medication to pure oxycodone is because acetaminophen in large doses can cause liver toxicity. Limit your acetaminophen intake to 3 grams a day or less to be safe.

Phillnoir - cool moniker, equally cool  post. Remember, this forum is just as much for we poor souls who read the posts, as well as those who initiate them.

clsmith843?

Acetaminophen - AKA "Tylanal" (intentionally misspelled) - is toxic to one's liver and organs. Absolutely and unequivocally, it'll kill ya. The maximum recommended dosage is not to exceed 500mg/daily. That's not even a full, regular dose as per label instructions, it's 1 tablet.

That said, some foo-foo doctors say the addition of this deadly OTC "medication." also labeled for chronic pain, acts synergistically in the delivery of pain relief when paired with an opiate. HA! Now, that also mentioned, to each their own - and if a person wishes to take that extraordinary chance...? Hey, it's "legal."

However.

The potent ingredient in any opiate compound is the opiate. 5mg of Oxycodone is exactly that - 5 mg. Her doctor was trying to lower her dosage, which may or may not be effective...pure Oxycodone (AKA Roxycodone) is "rapid delivery," and is released into one's bloodstream within minutes, unlike Percocet, the delivery of which takes approximately 30 minutes. It COULD work as well for her - (faster!!) but...well, every body is different. Likely, very likely, it doesn't work as long. If that's the case, this drug is absolutely able to be prescribed in the same manner and dosage - 1 QID (or 1 tablet every 4 hours, whichever her physician deems.)

Normally, folks accept whatever their physicians say as the gospel truth.

Me?

After 15 years dealing with intractable, chronic, mind-bending pain?

Not so much.

Good luck, watch out for your Mom (the Oxy without acetaminophen is ABSOLUTELY best for her!!) all her days.