Pain Management Community
Is percocet stronger then the generic form oxycodone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have been taking generic oxycodone although I was prescribed percocet because I do not want to pay 30 bucks instead of the 10 buck co-pay. I am finding that they are not working as well as when I had the actual percocet. Is there a reason for this? By the way, I am new to this forum but I have been reading it for awhile (lurking) but this is my first post.
Hi:

Glad you could join us. In my opinion, there is no difference at all. Although others might tell you differently, I feel that they are the same. Continue to save your money and go with the cheaper form of the drug.

Please take care.
Mollyrae
Thank you for answering me. I feel like the oxycodone is not working as well as it used to but that is likely due to me being on it for a while. I have been on the same dose for about two years and I am afraid to ask my PM doctor to up my dose as I don;t want him to think that I am using drug seeking behavior. I have heard horror stories about doctors dropping patients due to this.
real stuff is always better my brother is on xannax and he use to get generic and one day he got real ones and they worked 10x better he went and had them tested and real one had better quality and more amount
Different manufacturers might use different inert ingredients in their  pills, so while the active ingredient might be the same (oxycodone), the binders might be different and it's possible that you might feel differently when taking one as opposed to another.  In the generic oxycodone you're taking, is it pure oxycodone?  Or is there APAP in it (tylenol)?  If it's just pure oxycodone, then chances are it's not you, the brand name percocet MIGHT make you feel better than the pure oxycodone, because, as my doctor explained it to me, the APAP acts as a catalyst and it can boost the efficacy of the oxycodone by almost 50% in some cases.  In other words, if you take one percocet (with the tylenol built in) you might need one and a half or even two of the pills without the tylenol in them to get the same result with regard to pain control.  The pure oxycodone is a lot safer for your liver than the percocet, but if you want to boost the efficacy of your pills, you can take a tylenol or an advil with them from time to time if you're hurting more that day.

Ghilly
Thanks so much for answering me. I am taking the oxycodone apap (with the tylenol) and have been for several years. I know that the tylenol is not good for the liver but I take the 325's and as such I am way under the 4000 per day that is the cut off (according to my PM doc) I have had no ill effects on my liver as I am screened for this. I rarely drink alcohol as I understand this makes it much worse. I was wondering how people felt and if they find the generic to not be as effective. I think I just need a higher dose at this point as I have been on the same dosage for a long time and I have built up a tolerance. I would rather not take more so I thought if I switched and paid the xtra money for the brand name it may work better. I might try it and see.
Unless you take oxyneo there is no 'pure' oxycodone.  I am trying the percocet vs oxycet because I am convinced that the generic are lower quality and you need more for less effect.

I will let you know after I test these 50 percocet (usually takes 15 days on generic.)
And how did that work out? i was recently given a dif brand than my regular tec.these ones say Apo one one side and 5/325 on the other. and i feel like i have taken a sugar pill.
I was Givin 10 325 of tthe ip204 of oxy them my pharmacy got endocet that has e713 on one side and 10/325 om the other let me tell you they work a lot better so I call pharmacy and tell them to order them for me it is made by endo pharmaceutical just like percocet each ccontains 9mg of oxy were a generic can be aloud to either be 30 percent over or 30 percent under where a brand name has to be with in 10 percent over or under but figure it out how do the generic s make there money there 30 percent under so your 10 mg pill is most likely on 7 mg endocet is considered a name Brand but u pay for it as a generic my doctor told me this. So request for endocets
Sorry e712
Where in the world did you hear that a generic can be "30 percent over or 30 percent under where a brand name has to be with in 10 percent over or under?"

Medications in the US are regulated by the FDA. Any generic approved for use must be bioequivalent to the name brand medication.

See this link for more information:
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/BioterrorismandDrugPreparedness/ucm134444.htm
I was told that same load of crap by a Walmart PhD...that the FDA allowed a variance of 10% up or down of the quality of generics to BRAND meds. We don't just make this up...someone, who thinks they know a lot, usually tells us this.