Pain Management Community
Knee / Muscle Problem?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Knee / Muscle Problem?

Last week my dogs were running around and changed direction with any notice and slammed right into me. It all happened so fast that I'm not sure what really happened, but I think my right knee ended up being hyperextended. I didn't fall when it happened, but I knew something was wrong. It wasn't an excruciating pain and I've never lost the ability to walk on it although it does hurt every now and then if I bend it to far back or if I move it the wrong way. Since it happened when I walk there's a pressure or tightness feeling across my leg above my knee. When I'm sitting still or laying down I don't feel a thing, nothing to say there's a problem anyway. It really doesn't feel like the problem is my knee itself. I think it's something around my knee if that makes sense.
If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm trying to avoid going to the doctors for a few reasons (I hate going... I can't afford physical therapy copays especially with the holidays being here now... I really don't want to go through a surgery... I could go on and on). I've been resting it and icing it and it is feeling better, but it's just not 100% yet. The pressure/tightness feeling is still there, but it's getting better as is the range of motion. When it first happened I could barely lift my leg or straighten it, now I can do both for the most part.

I did notice on the outer side of my right knee, just above the knee (kind of the lower thigh right next to the knee) the muscle there is kind of bulging out slightly. By slightly I mean it's hardly noticable, but I can see it. When I stand up it's hard, but when I'm sitting and relaxed it's not. I'm not sure what to make of this. Is it possible I tore the muscle there? Any ideas on what else I should be doing at home to treat it?
Hi!
Honestly speaking, it is very difficult to comment on the type of injury. Definitely a bone injury is ruled out as you can move about and there is no tremendous bulge or swelling. So in all likelihood it is a muscle or ligament or tendon injury. The usual treatment is rice OR rest, ice application, compression bandage (you can wear a knee cap while walking) and elevation (keep leg elevated on a pillow at bed time).  You can also take a NSAID pain killer unless contraindicated in your case. Avoid pressure on the injured leg for long times. If there is no improvement by a week, then before resuming full walking, please consult a doctor. Take care!