Pain Management Community
Knee Pain after Running

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Knee Pain after Running

Spring is here and so is jogging season for me. Last spring/summer I went for a run five days a week with ease. This year, now that the weather is nice, I'm trying to do the same. During the first run I went on a few weeks ago, I felt a bit of pain in my right knee, but nothing too extreme. A couple hours later, the pain in my knee was excruciating. I couldn't walk or put any pressure on it, and by the end of the day, I was basically crawling in order to move around the house. I took it easy after that and did different types of workouts (videos, zumba), and felt no pain in my knee. Yesterday I went for a run (but a much shorter one than the first one I went on), and my knee was sore towards the end of the run, so when I came home, I took Advil to reduce any swelling and put ice on my knee. I went for another run again today and I felt pain after less than a mile of running. By the time I was almost home, I was half running, half limping back home. I took Advil and iced my knee again, but it didn't do the trick quite like it did yesterday.

I got a doctors appointment, but it's not for 2 weeks. I don't know if continuing these runs is going to make a problem worse, or if the pain is something that will just always be there. I don't want to stop running, as it is my favourite form of exercise and I love it so much. I'm not sure if I should cut my runs down shorter, buy a knee brace, or keep doing what I'm doing.

I'm basically looking for some advice as to what I should do with this situation. Maybe somebody has experienced something similar and could let me know what they did?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi evergreen,

First let me welcome you to the PM (Pain Management) Forum.  I see you've been a member for quite a few years and I'm glad that you posted on this Forum today.  In case you don't know we are all CP (Chronic Pain) Patients on here that help each other through our own pain experiences.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the problem that you are having with your knee. I'm sorry that you are having to wait for 2 weeks to get into see your Dr.  I'm not a runner so I hesitate to suggest what might be going on with your knee.  But I would definitely suggest that you not do any running at all until you have seen your Dr.  I'm afraid that if you do cause it to continue to swell you might do something to permanently injure it.  Hopefully, this will not be a permanent injury!   You could have twisted it or pulled a ligament or torn a cartilage or something else altogether.  It will probably take an x-ray or CT Scan or MRI to know exactly what is going on with it.

Hopefully, there will be others along that will be much more knowledgeable about running injuries than I am.  I'm glad that you were wise enough to apply the ice and take the Advil.  Is there anyway that you can call your Dr.'s office and ask to be alerted if someone cancels an appt. so you can get in earlier than 2 weeks?  I just hate that you must wait that long!

I wish I could be of more help to you but I hope that you will stay in touch and let us know what your Dr. says and how you are doing.

I'm sending you best wishes and will be looking for an update from you on how you are doing.............Sherry  :)