Pain Management Community
Knee Pain after loud POP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Knee Pain after loud POP

I was kneeling straight up on a hardwood floor when I heard and felt a loud pop from the bottom side of my left knee, below the patela.  I felt no discomfort then, but each day afterward for about a week I felt first pain on the lateral side of the knee, then the pain moved to the medial side of the knee, now the only discomfort is on the posterior portion of the knee in the soft tissue with my leg straight as I walk. It was bad enough last week that I was limping, (almost ready for a cane) but it was intermittent. What happened to my knee and what should I do to heal it and for how long?
James
Hello James,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post....but sorry to hear about your painful knee.

The knee is a complicated joint and support structure. There are no physicians on this site. It's my best guess that you injured your meniscus. You could have also injured one of the tendons or ligaments that supports your knee. Patellar tendinitis is a possibility. However soft tissue injuries are the most common cause of pain in the posterior portion of your knee.

Because you report a popping sound it's also a good possibility that you have a meniscal tear. If this is the case surgical resection or repair is the preferred treatment. Does it ever seem to "catch" with motion?

Only your PCP can give you an accurate diagnosis. I assume he/she will begin with an e-ray to make certain your knee is in alignment and there are no obvious bony injuries. However it may take an MRI to get to the source of the pain and problem if it does not respond to conservative treatment. So please make an appointment.

In the meantime remember the cardinal treatment for most injuries, RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. If you are not taking a NSAID please consult your pharmacist and he/she can direct you to one that may be best for you.

I wish you well and hope that you will let us know how you are doing and what you discover. I'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck

HI Tuck.  Just an update after letting the knee do its own thing for a while...  I haven't really taken it easy, but no overly strenuous exercise with either knees.  So far none of the pain or symptoms have returned.  Everyone has told me that x-rays will not show anything(tear) so they are a waste of time.  And MRIs are expensive, and at the moment, not warranted.  So just enjoying the summer and doing the things I normally do.  Slowly....   Will be back on the bicycle shortly, (just had the spokes replaced in the rear wheel) and some rollerblading in the park on the weekends.  If it doesn't show up then I think I shouldn't worry about anything.

How are you doing up in the cold tundra.   Have the tornadoes and floods left you alone?  We've had lots of rain here recently, but no floods in the neighborhoods as of yet, and the rain is now on a decline, so I don't think it’s going to happen.  

Have a great summer and keep in touch.