Pain Management Community
Knee aching/stiffness 2 months after TKR

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hi all,
I am over 2 months post TKR.  I have had my final appt with my OS.  Due to my complaints of the aching, stiffness and pain, we both decided I should continue therapy. I go three times/wk and do my exercises religiously.  My flexion is 110-115.  I still have swelling but it is decreasing.  I am a RN and am scheduled to return to work in a couple of weeks as a staff nurse on a busy unit doing 12 hr shifts.
I am still taking Norco 10/325mg about twice/day along with Ultram and Motrin. My OS said he would never deny me medication but that "most people do not need pain meds this far post op" and if they do it is just at night (making me feel like a failure).  I know it takes a year to recover and I need to be patient but I am getting very frustrated.  My sick leave is running out and I cannot take Norco while working.  
I just thought I would be further along by now...
Do not worry about being a failure. Being an RN you know everyone takes their own time in the healing process. If you push yourself it will not bring the best results. Continue with the therapy and medications and give yourself time. I know you can't take the Norco while on the clock but what about the Ultram? It will atleast provide you with some relief at work if you need it.
Remember it is not a race or you do not have a set time to heal, it just takes time:)
You are right. I am just ready to get on with my life. I long for the day when I wake up without the first thing on my mind being my knee replacement.  You look forward to the surgery because it is a means to the end.  Guess I have to keep on truckin' down this road for a bit more.

I had TKR on right knee July 19th 2010, no pain now and a really good recovery. The first 3 - 4 months were still painful but as time went on the pain disappeared.
August 31st 2011 had TKR on left knee, 11 weeks on and still have pain although it is getting better. Really think that it takes at least a year to make a good recovery.
Going to the gym 2-3 times per week has helped.
Micktek.