Pain Management Community
Krill Oil benefits and pain releif

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Krill Oil benefits and pain releif

I would like to share some info I have found on the benefits of taking Krill Oil for a natuaral pain reliever. It also has many other health benefits as well. I have been taking it for a couple of weeks now and have found that it actually works similar to NSAIDS without the bad side effects. Below is a snippet from an article I found while researching Krill Oil:

A number of studies have shown that krill oil is tremendously effective in reducing LDL-cholesterol, raising HDL-cholesterol (up to 44% in some cases), and lowering blood sugar. It has been shown to be effective in treating the PAIN and inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis and aches and pains in general.

If you would like to read the full article go to the link below:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/07/23/krill-oil-48x-better-than-fish-oil/

It seems to be working for me, so I hope it will work for all of you. Please let me know what you think.---quitin
  • fish oil (3 replies):
    how long can i take fish oil
Thank you for the information, it sounds very interesting. I'm so glad that you have found this to be effective for you!!

However, I should remind EVERYONE to PLEASE check with your Doctors BEFORE you add anything new to your medications as it could interact with them in a derogatory way!!

There are so many of us that have to take a large number of different meds (I take 16 different types of meds a day, for heart, BP, not counting pain) that we have to be VERY careful before we arbitrarily add something new, Even OTC meds.   :)

I'm sure that there are many here that will check into it. There are many people here that are always looking for new Natural ways to treat our pain and other health problems that we are experiencing. Thanks again for the info. :)

Sherry
Absolutely, I am no way advocating that you should try the Krill Oil w/o talking to your doctor first. As anyone that has an allergic reaction to shellfish should definitely not take it. I am a long time chronic pain sufferer due to three failed back surgeries and am always trying to find a natural alternative way to help my pain.  
Oh, I know you weren't, but I've discovered, as I'm sure that you have, that not ALL people realize that it can be dangerous and might take it without checking first.  :)

Like I said it sounds like it could be something that is REALLY promising for helping a lot of people. I'm really thankful that you gave everyone the heads up on this. I'm so glad that it's helping you!!!

I hope that anytime you come across something promising such as this that you WILL give us a Heads-Up on it.

Thank You....Sherry
Where did you get it?  I'd love to try it for my hand.  When you say it's an oil, is it an oil in a capsule that you swallow it or do you apply it to the painful area?  I'm in the process of looking at more homeopathic treatments.

Krill oil comes in gel coated capsules, but you can get it as a liquid. I had to have the pharmacist at Walgreen's order it for me as they didn't have it on the shelf. I think you can get a sub-lingual solution but it's kind of nasty tasting. Isn't it funny take all of the things that are good for us are nasty tasting and the bad is good tasting (ice cream, chocolate etc;) LOL. As far as using it through the skin I don't know. I am researching this further and will send you a message if I find anything out. I hope your hand feels better Sorry for the late response I have been away on business the last couple days and didn't have my laptop..---quitin
I've just started taking it (tonite!).  Funny enough, my rheumatologist recommended it.  I find that doctors don't normally recommend homeopathic treatments, so I was really interested in whether it would help with the pain I've had in my joints in the hands and feet.  Only time will tell...I'm looking forward to a possible relief of this detrimental pain!
I take fish oil and chia seeds along with cherry concentrate for alternative methods of pain management with everything else daily.  I've very big on super health foods and natural supplements. :)
Krill oil is used for heart disease, high levels of certain blood fats (triglycerides), high cholesterol, high blood pressure, stroke, cancer, osteoarthritis, depression, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and painful menstrual periods. I required this for my Mother, she is suffering from High blood pressure problem for a very long time, i came across Kill Doctor Professional Brand Krill oil, i bought it online from their website and very much satisfied with its decent price & moreover its positive results,.
Yes Krill oil is a great remedy for many things I have been taking it for 5 months now and I really do see a difference in may pain level.
How long was it before you noticed a difference?  I did pick some up after we messaged about it a while back.  I wound up with some other issues, though, and cut out a lot of things and have been hesitant to add things due to stomach issues (too many years of ibuprofen at high doses without taking anything to protect my stomach.)  I'm still having some trouble, but I am going to ask my doctor about it.  My dad just started taking glucosamine chondroiton, but I seem to remember hearing that the krill oil worked better.  I may switch him off it after checking with his doctor.  He's 83 and has been having a lot of trouble with his hands with arthritis.  (And I feel for him since mine are even worse off than his.  I'd like to get him on something that will help.  I've been told that for my hands, it's too late as there is no cartilage left.  It may help other areas where I have arthritis, though.)  Thanks for the information on this.  Glad it came up again as I sort of forgot about it!
It took a good month on a dose of 1800-2000 mg/day to see a difference but once it kicked in I did feel an appreciated change in my pain level. I would caution though if you Dad is going to start taking it he should consult his doctor to make sure he won't have any adverse reactions to other meds or any allergies. I hope it works for both of you.---Rick
Thanks, Rick.  I always check for interactions with things.  You just never know.  I'd like to see him get some relief, especially since he actually still has cartilage there to sort of rebuild.  Mine is gone in my hands; so it won't help those, but it may help other joints!!