Pain Management Community
L5-SI back pain - sciatic nerve

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

L5-SI back pain - sciatic nerve

I have an L5-SI protruding annulus - with sciatic nerve damage on the left side (numbness in left leg). I am being seen at a pain management center and am in the middle of havng shots in my back. I have had a total of 4 so far - each one being in different areas.  After each injection they tell me it will take a few days for the shots to take affect, however I hurt worse and the pain intensifies.  The last shots I had were the worst - I know have numbness in the right side - the shot must have hit the sciatic nerve.  Now I have numbness in both legs.  I am taking tramado hcl 50mg and tizanidine hcl 4mg for the pain and muscle spasms.  I have an ulcer and am limited on what I take. Trying to sleep at night is stressful, I wake up every 2 - 3 hours in extreme pain.  I went through PT and that did not help - i was in more pain after wards.
I would like to hear from someone who has similar problems and what they have done.
The only thing that helped me when I had L5S1 ruptured disk into the nerve sac was surgery.  The longer you wait the damage to the nerve gets worse and will take longer to heal.  In my case surgery wasn't done for a year, I had 5 very stupid doctors with 5 stupid opinions, and the damage done to the nerve was mild but never really totally went away. I still have bouts of sciatica 21 yrs after the surgery.  I know there are many great changes now but I don't know of any one who had success with the shots when the herniation went into the nerves.  I have had many shots in my butt and in my back for various reasons and 75% of them did nothing good.  The same for many people that I know that also had the shots.  See a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic surgeon for a consult.  Good Luck to you.
thanks - i will check with my primary doctor and see what he says - thanks for your info -
It sounds like you def need to see a Neuro surgeon due to the location.

Do you know anyone that may know of a good one in your area ?
My situation is very similar to yours, except my pain comes and goes.

First, I was wondering if the PM doc you were seeing is a specialist in Spinal Procedures only?  My Rheumy wanted me to see one to get epidurals...but he only did spinal procedures and thats it.

Second, if they numbness continues then Im going with embla on this one...I would find a neurologist.  Maybe a neuro would be able to run some tests to see if there is any nerve damage that would be causing the numbness and tingling.
the doc i see is a specialist - they did the test on my leg and found nerve damage.  they do a lot more than just back problems - they also do headache problems too.  i'm in the KC area and the place i go to is the headache and pain center.  i just had a check up with my primary doctor and asked him a bunch of questions about the treatments i am receiving.  he said the place is really good and he has quite a few patience that go there - the only thing he did tell me is that the amount of pain i am in that maybe i should consider surgery.  my pain is constant at about a 7 - 10 every day/night.  i have another appt with the treament center this week and i will speak to them about the further treatments, etc.  i'm just tired of being in pain constantly.  my primary doc did give me talwin nx to take instead of the tramadol - he said it is a little stronger and should help with my sleeping at night.  
i had my visit with the pain management today - they have referred me to a neurosurgery - will have to have an mri done in the meantime and then set appt with them.  pain is still severe - let me know what i can expect.

thanks
i am having problems getting my rx's refilled - the pharmacy called the pain mgmt and the nurse called me - i explained to her the way i have been taking the pain meds is not how the doc prescribes them - i also told her that i have informed the doc about this for the last 2 months - she was horrified when i told her i was taking 2 - 3 tramadols every 3-4 hours for the pain and not getting the relief i should - she said she will discuss with him tomorrow and may call my primary doc as i do need to be on something stronger (narcotics!) as the pain has increased over 100%!!  hopefully i can get something to help ease the pain more - before i went to the pain mgmt my other doc had me on hydrocodone and i was on that for 6 months - been on tramadol for 3 months - the hydrocodone did better but i went through 30 (blue tabs - higher strenght) in 7 days - i even told the nurse that - she about flipped -  i think it's about time they actually listen to me -

wish me luck - i only want to be pain free and doing the things i used to do -
thanks for the insight - sorry to hear that you have gone through so much.  i'm a little nervous with all this - i live in the KC area and there are bound to be great docs here - i'll have to check with my primary and see what he says.  i would rather have the myelogram done somewhere else than the pain management center - don't get me wrong they are great it's just they are not in my network and it's really pricey - will let you know what happens next - thanks!
I have had 5 surgeries on my L5-s1. The first lasted 4 years with no pain.Subsequently I needed another, this time i was not so lucky. Ihad a neurosurgeon, that i trusted very much, I worked with in the ER, I saw this surgeon do a craniotomy in the middle of the trauma,this is unheard of. Anyway, she was definitly qualified to do a simple discectomy. She "accidently" severed my L5-S1 nerve. Leavingmy right leg paralyzed. After I was releasedfrom the hosptial and she left town. I found a really great surgeon and after 3 surgeries he was able to fix some of the damage. The moral of all of this is please please check the background of your surgeon VERY carefully. You never know what your getting.
3/22 i have an appt at the hospital to have the myelogram done - then i have an appt on 4/17 to see a neurosurgeon - the pain mgmt center and my primary are in talks to see if they can get me something more stronger than the tramadol until i get into the neurosurgeon - i have the nerve damage in my left leg and now i am experiencing numbness in my right leg (not all the time) i don't mind the left leg but it sure makes a difference when you drive and really don't know if your foot is on the excelerator - luckily i drive a big ford bronco (like OJ's except it's a standard) so it's not like driving a regular stick -

if you have any insights please let me know - thanks -
I had the exact same problem as you. I will tell you what happend to me and let you decide. After 3 years of on again off again pain in my left leg (ranging from moderate to through the roof) and numbness I finally elected to have surgery at "The hospital for special surgery" in NYC. One of the best in the USA. After trying everything from physical therapy to acupuncture to yoga and chiropractic I figured it was the last rational spot. I kept losing jobs because of being laid up from back pain. The doctor would give me a discectomy and a laminectomy. After the surgery my recovery time was quick and pretty painless, although the morphine pump that I controlled probably helped. For the next year I was a new man. Pain free and as good as new. Then one day while riding the bus downtown I started to feel that familiar burning and tingling in my left leg. To make a long story short. The numbness and burning moved into both legs along with back pain from prolonged sitting. My doctors told me it was from nerve damage. Damage brought on by

A) waiting so long to get the surgery done and
B) Scar tissue from the surgery growing around and compressing the nerves.

I am now on permanent disability as I can no longer sit, stand or walk for very long. I am also on Methadone, neurontin and zanaflex. Perscribed by my pain specialist. I have been told  that I will most likely need spinal fusion as I get older. I am now 40 and have been living through this nightmare for ten years. I dont write this to scare you. Everyone has different experiences. I have a freind who had the same surgery for the same thing and is absolutley fine five years out. One thing the doctors did not tell me before surgery and I pass on to you and everyone else is this.

If you are prone to growing skin tags and other skin growths you are at a higher risk of scar tissue problems.
I am sorry you have such problems.  I just hope mine is not too late.  It started back in June and I have been in treatment since the last week in December - I had the myelogram done yesterday and by far that was the worst thing i've ever had done - once the put the dye in it started burning in my legs then my legs went numb and the muscles locked up - i asked the dr if this was normal and he said he has not heard of anyone complaining about that - i could hardly get out of bed this morning as the pain was so severe.  i will be picking up my test results and CD this weekend and will see the neurosurgeon on 4/17.  I have the same problem as you - i cannot sit very long, have to get up and walk around the office - and i cannot walk too long - the only thing that really helps is to lay down with pillows under my knees and under my feet.  my husband is worried that i will  become disabled - i told him i was going to fight this, we are 46 and have grandbabies and i really want to be a part of their lives -
we do have great medical facilities here in Kansas City, MO - there are a lot to choose from.  I did reasearch the neurosurgeons and found one group that comes highly recommended.

i don't have the problem with scar tissues - at least i don't think i do - keep in touch and i'll let you know how things are going.  Thanks for your insight -
Sorry to hear your mylogram went so bad. I went to a doctor last year to see if anything more could be done for me. He said most likely not and that he would have to do a mylogram to really give me a definate answer but recomended not to do one because it would increase my pain. After reading what you have said I am glad I didnt do it. Hope all your other tests go well. Here is wishing you freedom from pain.
I can't believe they told you not to have one done as it would make the pain worse!!!  If they had told me that i probably wouldn't have had it done.  i did go by the hospital and picked up the disk with my x-rays and st scans on it.  i have also put a call into my dr to see if they rec'd the diagnosis letter yet.  the dr prescribed lyrica however my insurance denied it as being experimental for the condition being treated (back pain) - i've heard from numerous people that this is great and helps reduce the amount of pain meds taken.  right now i am taking 2 tramadols every 3-4 hours and 1 tizanidine every 4 hours and 2 at night to help me sleep.  sleeping is really a pain - i've told the dr that i wake up anywhere from 2-4 times during the night with severe back pain.  only a couple of weeks left before i see the neurosurgeon.

good luck to you
Ditto the only thing that helped me, my husband and my son was surgery! L5S1 for all of us. Neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon will do.
I have had disk replacement surgery on my l5 s1 and i am still in pain. i just had a fce done and my lower back is swollen and the numbness has tripled down my left leg.could that be permanent nerve damage?
I was told to have my MRI taken by E-Surgeon due to back pain which traveled down towards my leg. and foot right side .after seeing the MRI report i was told to have surgery .I had a second opinion result was the same friend of mine took me to see   Orthopedic surgeon his remarks were that i dont need a surgery instead i should take a shot as i was laying on the couch pain was irritating me and  itried to move to one side i heard a cracling sound in my back spine i was in sereve pain Orthopedic S injected morphine injection in my left arm .the next day all pain was gone but leg and foot are still numb its 8 days still no back ,leg or foot pain since then i had seen another E-surgeon who said i dont need surgery but wants me to have another MRI limited plus suger and cholesterol test which i do on monday hope positive results come out
My boyfriend has surgery for a tethered cord on Dec. 17, 2007.  He has pain and numbness in both legs, the pain is so severe at times... they told him to take Neurotin and it has not helped him at all.   Is there any other meds out there or a procedure that would help him, the doctor seems to think he has nerve damage from the cord pressing on his nerves for 3 years.   Can anyone help or offer advice, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Cat
Oct. 04, I was moving volleyball steel poles and hurt my back.  Annular tear and herniation in L5 S1.  I have gone through several epi./steroid injections in the disc area as well at the SI joint area.  Pain never went away, but was decently controllable with tramadol.  I had a proceedure done a year ago called IDET to try and burn the inside of the disc to seal the tear.  A couple months ago terrible burning started in my butt, down the back of my thigh, and outside of foot.  A myelogram was done and as a reaction to the contrast (dye) put in my back, it was like my low back especially tailbone area "locked up".  Could not bend forward or arch back.  Myleogram showed L5 herniation, but no significant nerve issues.  Burning seems to get worse, MRI showed tear has not only sealed, but gotten bigger.  They are wanting to do a SI and L5 nerve root block.  I'm scared to death!!!!  For 3 years I have been miserable hoping to die to be rid of pain.  I haven't read much positive about nerve blocks, but I'm desperate for ANY relief.  Can someone please tell me I have a chance at this helping???
Hi  I had a partial discectomy at L  4-5 in 1992 . Since November I have been dealing with chronic back pain and pain and numbness in my right leg and foot. I was told that scar tissue has formed around the nerve root. the neurosurgeon is suggesting a neuro stimulator From what i have read the success rate is not very good. I would rather he try to remove some of the scar tissue even though I know more would form eventually. Has anyone had this done any advice helpful.
MY XRAY L.S. SPAIN A.P. AND LAT. VIEWS; THE INTER VERTEORAL DISC  SPCEES SEEN NORMAL EXCATE SPACE BETWEEN L5/SIAPPEARS SLIBHT OBLITERATED.OSTRO ARTHNHCC CHANGES SEEN IN BOUGHT 5.I.JTS
this is my story, in oct.1989 i went to one of the best neurosurgeons in NYC for a second opinion for my L5S1 herniated disc. I was 35 at the time, working and generally living a normal life. i had severe sciatic pain in my right leg whenever i did anything too strenuous. I got the original injury when my ex shoved me and i fell on the floor when i was 22. Well, when i was lifting my garage door in 89, i felt a familiar shooting pain in my butt and my left leg, and knew i was in trouble. Usually i would have to go on bedrest for a long time before it would subside, but this time it didn't and it got so bad i couldn't even feel my foot. i went for an mri, and the ortho told me i needed surgery or it would never go away. i ended up getting a second opinion at nyhospital cp, and the dr. there said he would do it after a month of pt. Pt. did nothing but make it worse, so he scheduled the surgery for oct.1.1989. it was to be a six to eight week recovery and then i was supposed to be able to resume my life again. It never happened, within a month after the surg. i began to have excruciating low back pain and my leg still hurt.
The surgeon passed me off to pain management and said i fell into the six percent failure rate, the one he never told me about. I had all the usual treatments pain management had to offer and nothing worked, and I was told that I'd have to learn to live with it and more surgery would make it worse. This was all over the course of the last 19 years, and I now live on high doses of opiate pain killers and have had no life since the day of the operation. My right leg got weaker, and caused me to fall many times. I ended up with tears in both my knees in 2002, and had to have surgeries that made the pain worse. Last spring I broke my right leg in three places and it has taken a year to heal, due to the fact I can't rehab fully from the back pain.
Now i am facing a surgery for a different problem that is potentially cancer. The tests I need to take are complicated by the opiate use, and the recovery will be another summer in bed. I have decided not to get any treatment if it is cancer, because it will be a gift to finally end this life of pain. I have no family anymore, they have all passed away. I couldn't maintain a relationship because of my physical limitations, I am financially in ruins living on a pittance from the disability.
I am begging any of you considering surgery to exhaust all the alternatives before you take a step that could potentially end you life as you know it. Once the damage is done there is no turning back, ever. The pain you feel now is nothing compared to the pain of a failed back surgery, it is a searing stabbing constant pain that grips you in the spine and radiates into your groin, hips and legs. I never had any back pain before the surgery, just sciatic. I would trade places with anyone who is presurgical sciatic compared to this hell I have been living in. Please Please don't let these lying doctors talk you into it, and ask them if they'd let their wife or children have it done. See what they say.
All my best to those who are suffering
Bye the way I am now in my fifties and lost all the best years life could have given me.
My Pain doc gave me:  Lyrica, Celebrex, Ultram ER, Hydrocodone (4 times a day - 7.5mg), Amitriptaline and Skelaxin and NONE of it is working.

I need stronger NARCOTICS and I don't know how to present this to the doctor without sounding like an idiot or drug seeker.  I have never been in SOOO much pain in my life.  My entire left side (leg, back, buttock) is in weird bouts of numbness, extreme pain, tingling, falling alseep feeling....it's horrible.  I can't stand for more than one minute.

How do I get it across to my doctor?  I need the real meds like dilauded or morphine or something major.  I can't life like this.  It's hopeless and if it continues, why live?   I'm serious.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Ruthie
It's me again.  I just want to know how to approach the doctor and ask for REAL pain meds -- not this ultram, lyrica bull taco stuff.  It's not working. Help!!!
I appreciate your warning.  You have had an awfully tough time of your injury; make that an awfully tough life as a result of it.  I am sorry to hear about your problems.  I am 38, male, and hurt my L5-S1 a 13 months ago - a relatively minor injury that persisted 6 months.  So I went to the doctor and he put me into PT... which was life-changing - in a bad way.  The therapist (though not following doctor's orders) tried what he referred to as "mobility glides", a strong chiropractic manipulation of L5-S1.  Since then, my pain has increased dramatically and I now have sciatic numbess/weakness/lack of coordination & reflexes in my legs - esp. my left.  I'm working with a different PT now, but have lost optimism that I will ever be mostly restored.  I read about successful surgeries and it makes me so tempted.  And then I read a post like yours and I want to cry.  Many suggest that my compressed nerve is being damaged as to negatively impact any future surgical outcome... I'm torn.  But at this point I still am trying to work through my PT and daily exercises.  I believe your warning is something to be heeded.  I hope that don't have cancer, and somehow can find the will and motivation to live.  I know it isn't easy though.  I pray for you, and am thankful that you reached out to others like myself and shared your experience.    
I have the same problem in l4, l5 and s1 and it is terrible pain.  my left leg is numb no matter what they gave me or did.  I did shots and they made everything worse and I refused to take them anymore.  They had me on 180 percocet 7.5/325 a month and fentanyl patches 100mcs/hr every two days.  Then I find out later that I was on a "high dose" and there are certain doctors that can work with you and others that cant.  I never knew that.  So the bottom line here is that life is a fine balance of pain and addiction.  I was addicted to all that stuff, and had to withdrawl (withdrawal) myself as I couldnt get into one of these doctors until july 28th.  All this stuff happened the beginning of June.  
Post by suzybx
To: pain medicine experiences

Any suggestions?

This is very tricky, if you go in asking for a specific drug you will be denied and most likely lose what you have. In my experience the best way to handle this is to try the regimen the PM gave you and after a month if it still is not working for you then tell your PM that you did give the meds he/she gave you a chance but they are not providing you much relief and ask what your options are concerning your medication treatment. If the PM ask you your opinion on a certain drug the you should voice your opinion but otherwise let the Dr prescribe what they feel is best and just continue to try what they offer until you get some relief. I know this is a terrible thing and I sympathize with you but this is the best way to get your pain medicine regimen to where it needs to be. It may take awhile but you have to let the PM know your willing to do as they ask and your giving their treatments a chance. The Dr wants to feel your doing what they feel is right for you and know that your not just after drugs to abuse or sell.
I had to go through this as many others here have, it is going to be hard sometimes to do the things the PM ask of you but you have to hang in there until you get the relief you feel is necessary for your pain. Sometimes people luck up and get a great PM that will work with you to get your pain under control right away without all the other steps but it's rare. I wish you luck and just know we are always here for you. The community here is great and we will do whatever we can to help you.
About 3 weeks ago for no reason that I can figure, I began having severe SI joint pain.  I had back surgery with a plate and two pins on the right side of L4 and L5 about 2 1/2 years ago that gave me total relief for my severe spinal stenosis.  I still have numbness in the two small toes on my right foot but otherwise, no adverse effects.  Of course, when the SI pain started, I thought it was stenosis again except the pain is almost constant, and with the stenosis, it was only unbearable when I tried to walk.  So far, the only thing that has given me any relief with this is Prednisone pills.  Vicodone, Motrin 800 and Darveset or the Flexeril they have prescribed haven't helped at all.  I am in physical therapy for the past week, but don't feel that is doing any good at all.  I keep thinking this will just go away, and that I will wake up tomorrow and be back to normal again.  The thought that this will be my new normal is not a very happy thought.  I have read this whole chain tonight and have found "company" in my discomfort and for that I thank you all.  I wish everyone a "less painful" tomorrow.
Hi Everyone. I have posted this recently about being honest with Doc's. In my case, being in so much pain, i told the Doc that my meds were not very effective anymore. I told him that i heard of a patch that would control the pain 24/7 (Duragesic) and asked him if that might be an option for me, he prescribed it.  What I'm saying is tell the Doc FLAT OUT that you are not a drug seeker but someone who is in immence pain and needs help. You would be suprised, they usually listen. Take Care, MollyRae
I think it all depends on the doctor and the relationship you have with your doctor.  I have had many doctors over the years that would ask me what I felt would work best for my pain.  Often the doctors that would do that were ones that knew my long chronic history and they knew I had been on all sorts of medications for different problems and felt that I would know best what might work for me for a certain type of pain.  I have even had a few ER doctors ask that when treating my pain they would say, "What works best for you" and I would tell them.  In other cases like sandee1818 said you just have to sit back and let the doctor do their thing at their own pace until you come to something that works.  I think a lot of it is knowing your doctor and deciding what the best approach is with that doctor to get to where you need to be.  Of course if you are a rather new patient for a doctor they don’t know you well enough to have that type of open trust yet and it will probably take awhile to build that relationship.  It is sad for someone suffering to have to put that much thought into their approach but that is just how it is in many cases.  Good luck to you and feel better!
Hi Everyone!  After a year of having major chronic back pain with no diagnosis I'm finding that my symptoms are not only controlling my physical life but are now starting to effect my emotional part too.  I hope by sharing my story it can not only make me feel better by talking about it, but maybe someone out there might know exactly what is wrong with me (stranger things have happened)

Here's my story:

I'm 24, white male 5'10 185 lbs who used to be very active (snowboarding, rock climbing, etc.).  Right after I graduated college (class of 2007) I noticed that I had a form of discomfort in my lower back, right above my hips.  There was no certain incident that happened that caused this type of pain.  The discomfort was painful but there was another type of sensation along with it, kind of like a shocking/tickling feeling that was very annoying.  Month after month the pain and sensation would get worse.  Along with this lateral pain along my hips there would be that sensation vertically up my lumbar muscles all the way up to my shoulder blades.  Also, my left leg and foot would be numb 95% of the day.  My leg would become more numb whenever I sat for long periods of time (especially on the toilet) and whenever I laid down to sleep.  My doctor would prescribe me an array of pills, mostly muscle relaxers and pain killers.  Opiods such as vicodin, norco, and percocet were the only prescriptions that actually helped during the day and let me sleep at night.

During the past year x-rays, full university blood tests, MRI of my lower back were done and NOTHING came up.  Finally my doctor referred me to a Pain Management clinic who have tried to reduce my pain but are only doing a mediocre job.  Along with the pain that would radiate from my lower back into my buttocks and up my lumbar muscles I had a new problem.  When I would lay down my arms would become very cold and the nerves from my elbow to my pinky and ring finger would become numb.  This would happen in both arms and the only way to stop it is for me to lay flat on my back with my arms at my side.

A month ago a neurologist performed an EMG to see if I had any nerve complications that would cause the pain or numbness I've been feeling.  After the test (which is horrible and I do not with it upon anyone) the doctor told me that he found "CHRONIC NERVE DAMAGE IN MY L5".  I was so happy that finally they found something that I forgot to ask more about it before he shuffled me out of the office and called in his next patient.

My Pain Mgmt. Doc now ordered a MRI that is supposed to be done on my upper back/neck and another EMG on my upper back as well.  My MRI is tomorrow (THANK GOD) but the EMG won't be for another month!  I am only 24 and I had to quit my job in Las Vegas to move back home to Southern California because I couldn't handle standing for 7 hours a day.  

I am currently taking Oxycontin 20mg 3x daily, Percocet 10/325 4x daily, ibuprofen 800mg 2x a day, and a muscle relaxer that is a joke.  Even with this amount of narcotic fire power I am still having endless pain (5 to 8 pain level) more numbness in my left leg and foot, and numbness in both of my arms when I try to lay down.  Also, in the past week I've been waking up 4-6 times a night to go to the restroom.  I haven't changed how much water I drink so that is very odd also.  I've been on narcotics for over  a year now and besides my body being dependent on them, I think my body is becoming immune to the dosage causing the pain to occur even when I'm taking the drugs like I'm supposed to.  I'm not 80 years old where I can be taking these sorts of narcotics until I die and I miss going outside and doing extreme activities.

I think I'm going to try and schedule an appointment with the PM and see if there's anything else that can be done besides upping my dosage (which I really don't want to happen).  It's very depressing that I'm only 24 and with out my medication I'm in such pain that I can't even sit down to relax, let alone sleep.

Thank you so much for reading this.  Like I said it makes me feel better knowing that there's others out there that share in my frustration and pain that these doctors can't find a cure and make it damn near impossible to get the kinds of pain killers that you really need to be pain free.  Please, if you have any idea what might be wrong with me please reply to this message or e-mail me at ***@****
Nerve pain is very difficult to treat successfully. I am so sorry for you as you are so young. There are many drugs out there that may help you. They just need to find the right combination that works for you. There are drugs that specifically are for nerve pain such as nurotin (I know that is spelled wrong) but others will know what I am talking about and will comment. I wish you the best, take care and keep us posted. Tuck
Hey Tuck!  Thank you so much for commenting.  A few things have happened since I last posted.  I went back to the Pain Mgmt people and told them that the Oxycontin 20mg and percocet 10/325 were not working.  Out of character she seemed to be very concerned and wrote me for 180 pills of Diloted 8mg and doubled my Oxycontin dose to 40mg.  She also wrote up a script for Trazodone which is supposed to help with the sleeping.  I also understand that Trazodone is a pain reliever and helps with depression.  In the few days that I have the new pills things seem to be going over wonderful.  I'm getting enough sleep and am not waking up as much as I used to through out the night.

Yesterday I went and did the MRI for my neck.  While I was in the machine the earthquake that many of you heard on the news that hit Southern California went off.  Of course you could imagine being in an MRI machine while a 5.4 earthquake was going.  The only way I knew that it was an earthquake was that the slab they put you on to roll you into the MRI was moving all sorts of ways.  The other indication was the nurse who was frantic (she was new to california and never had been in an earthquake) pulled me out of the machine and forced me to stand in the door way until her boss told her everything was ok.  Luckily I was just about done with the MRI when the 5.4 went off that I didn't have to do it again.

On a pissed off note, my mom wanted me to go see her regular doctor just to make sure everything is being done that should be done.  My mom is also against all of the narcotics that I need to be taking and told Dr. Singh about it before the appointment.  Anyways, the short story is that the Doc flat out said that I was a "druggy" because I take the oxy and diloted.  She tells me that if it were up to her that she doesn't believe in this type of medication and that I wouldn't be on it.  Here's where I get mad.
                    I didn't ask for my back to hurt, and right now the narcotics is the only thing that keeps the pain at bay.  I know these drugs are temporary until we find out what is going on with my back and an appropriate treatment is found.  MEANWHILE, don't try to change the only type of medication that actually works.  I know they're all worried about addiction and dependency and rightfully so.  Of course my body is dependent of opioids since I've been taking them non-stop for over a year now.  I will gladly do some sort of winging off type of deal when everything is for certain.  Until then just leave the drugs that I'm taking to my own responsibility which is exactly how I take the medication: AS DIRECTED.  

I really didn't mean to write so much...really I didn't.  Any who, thank you so much for spending the time reading this and please if you have any idea about what might be wrong with my back please just post a reply.  I check these regularly.

Cheers,
Rocco
Hi Rocco,

I sympathize with your story 100%!!  Actually you may as well been writing MY story for ME! I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back, nerve damage, sciatica, degenerative disc disease in my neck and nerve damage in my left arm.  I have been on a battery of meds off and on for the past 5 years.  I was on tons of meds for 4 1/2 years until I just got sick of being tired, in pain and going around in the same 6 month cycles.  Without boring you with the details of what didnt work, I will tell you what finally DID work.  

NINE MONTHS AGO:  First and foremost I had to find the RIGHT PT and the right Chiro.  Before you roll your eyes and groan.... hear me out....  I was completely freaked out to go to a chiro and refused to see one for years.  I then met a friend that plays professional football.  Considering I used to be very active like you (snowboarding, yoga, rock climbing) I figured this chiro was worth a try because he understands injuries, nerves and chronic conditions.  Think how much nerve damage pro ball players inflict on themselves!  I also asked for a PT recommendation for someone that works on PRO ATHLETES.  I went to him and told him my story.  that PT had made things much worse over the years and how scared i was.  He did not have me do any twisting, stretching, heat, just very gentle exercises that i do myself.  I stayed on this VERY gentle and VERY slow program for six months!  

FIVE MONTHS AGO:  I went snowboarding for the fist time in 4 years!!!

THREE MONTHS AGO: I was then released to a professional Pilates instructor and that is where i am now.  My pain has been reduced 90% by SLOWLY getting my core and entire body strong so my muscles can support the discs better.

I am currently trying to detox off of the narcotics for the first time which is no picnic. I still take Lyrica for nerve pain which has been a lifesaver drug for me, and valium at night for spasms as needed.  I guess I wanted to share my story with you because I really really believe that if you have the RIGHT team you can better yourself through exercise.  I still see my pain management doc, chiro, PT and spine doctor on a regular basis and they all know each other now.  

I literally cried the first time I got on my board and dropped into fresh powder for the fist time in 4 years.  That was the best feeling I have had since this journey began  5 years ago.

I wish you all the best and I hope my story might help you see a light at the end of your tunnel.
I just wanted to add that my spine doctor has been talking surgery for FOUR YEARS.  I refused.  The spine and discs take a LONG time to heal and/or retrain themselves after injury.  Committing to my program has been the most difficult thing I have ever done... but I can snowboard again... cautiously ;-)
I am so glad they are giving you enough medication to control your pain. What a relief for you. And your Mother doesn't understand, who can blame her. One of my brothers doesn't understand either. They are uneducated in pain and have never had the pain that we are suffering. Your mother is looking at the big picture and is concerned that you will be addicted long after the pain is gone. What she fails to understand is the comsuming, life altering, I can't make it another night kind of pain that drives us to insanity if it is not controlled. She loves you and again just doesn't understand, who can unless they've danced the dance?? My brother calls me a druggie. It use to bother me now I just call him ignorant and let it go.  The rest of my family, including my mother are very supportive so go figure.

Have you asked your mother to go with you when you see your PMP?? Maybe they can help her understand your condition. I imagine her doc is trying to please her because she is his patient and knows very little about your condition and possibly know little about pain management.

I know it will be difficult but try to sit down and talk to your mother about your pain. Bring her to this site and let her read some of the posts. I'm sure if your mother understood she wouold not want you to be in pain. And if after all that she still is against the pain medication than at least you have done all you can to reach her.

And I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh when you told me about your MRI and the earthquake. Of course I'm glad you weren't injured but it must have been a hoot after it was all over. What a great story!!!

I wish you the best with your pain and of course your mom. I hope things will work out for you. Take care of yourself and keep in touch. Tuck

Tuck and Rocco,

As far as the meds go, taking yoru family to the PMP sounds like a great idea.  Those meds are there for a reason.... and if you have a "cocktail" that is working for you then by all means stick with it.  I felt VERY guilty over the meds and my spine doctor is the one who explained the PURPOSE to me and my husband who is now very supportive of whatever I do to control my pain and my condition.  Because there are so many people that abuse the meds the ones who really need them sometimes still get a bad rap!   Try not to let it get to you.  Your heart, mind and body knows what is best for you.

Please keep us posted!  I hope yoru road to recovery is a speedy one!  Sharon
Hi Tuck and Sharon,

Sorry I have not written in a while.  My Godfather died of a stage 4 cancer 2 months after he was diagnosed so I had to travel to Kentucky for 2 weeks for the funeral and to help out my family.  

The nurse of my Primary just called and said that they got my MRI test results of my neck back.  The nurse said the results stated that I have a protrusion in my neck.  I asked her what that meant and she said she was only a nurse and that she did not know.  So I have to wait 2 weeks for my doctor to come back from vacation to tell me what my MRI results mean and all of that.  My Oxycotin of 40 mg and dilodid of 8mg is working just fine.  There is still pain but it takes most of the edge off.  I filed for unemployment since I am unable to work.  I feel bad about taking money from the government but I guess that's what it's there for.  Hopefully they can find out what's really wrong with me and get me to the road to recovery.  I just can't believe that I graduated with a degree and now I can't start my career.  

If anyone has any comments about what you think I should do or just words of support that would be great.  According to the online dictionary a protrusion is a bulge...so I guess there's a bulge in my neck?  I'm going to try to do some research online and figure out what I might have.  I hate waiting for the doctors to take their sweet time in order for me to get my life back together.

Thanks for your support!

-Rocco B.
I am so sorry to hear about your Godfather's passing. It is always difficult to lose someone we love. My mother's husband died 38 days after he was diagnosed with lung cancer. It's tough but I am glad he (step-father) did not suffer any longer than he had to, there was no cure.

I would only be guessing about the protrusion that ws seen on your MRI but usually it refers to a disc. And a disc protrusion could be a herniation or again any number of things.

I am glad that your pain meds are easing your pain. Please take care, hang in there till your physician returns from vacation and keep us posted. Tuck
Hi Rocco,

Are we living the same life?  My Grandfather passed away 9 days ago from Stage 4 Mantle cell Lymphoma and I have been out of touch due to funeral and family.  Weird...  

I too have the protrusion in my cervical spine as well as 2 lower back protrusions.  I now believe even more strongly that you can get better!  You have to "chill" for a while and let your body do some healing but if I can do it so can you.  Keep in touch......

i think now most physicians feel they can not write for anything stronger then tynenol,otherwise you need to be sent to a pain mgmt dr. god forbid you go to a pain mgmt dr and tells u that u need an epidural,however in the mean time when u r in acute pain they are hesitate to give you any narcotics.if they prescribe it then u must go thru drug testing for compliance and illicit substances.you really start feeling like your a criminal.no one in severe pain needs to go thru this and to feel like your a drug addict. then do not forget you must see a shrink. then they will schedule you for whatever makes them money such as epidural or more.that to me makes us uncomfortable to say the least.it makes me upset that this is happenning.we r paying them for medical care, then why can we not be taking care of? i wish no pain on anyone.it affects your life in so many ways.
I may have found THE REASON why my life has been nothing more than constant pain and aching along with new painful symptoms every few months for the past year and a half.

Test after test after test after shot after x-ray after MRI...everything came up negative.  After each test result coming back negative it would break me down more and more to the point where I thought I would just have to live with this for the rest of my life.  After a while some people would tell me that either I'm faking it to get attention or that it's all in my head, that the pain isn't real.  Further on I even had to take anti-depressants because I went from being all "outdoorsy" to having to stay in bed or on the couch for the better part of the day to keep on top of the pain.

A few weeks ago I changed to another family doctor .  The one that I had before was a total ***** and pretty much told me there was nothing else to test for and that I'd have to deal with this pain for the rest of my life and also that I had to go to rehab right away to get off the pain pills.  That didn't really go over well with me and I fired her ***.  Anyway, the first time I saw the new doctor..Dr Gayid (i know i know) said he wanted to do a whole bunch of blood tests.  I told him that I have been doing some research and that I wanted him to test for a disease I thought was the reason for all of this.

Today when I came back for my results he sat me down and said that I was right.  That I tested positive for LYME DISEASE.  I was so over joyed that I was running all around the doc's office screaming.  I know what you're thinking...that this isn't something to be happy about and it's not.  I was just happy that finally after a year and a half of pain, depression, neurological problems and insomnia FINALLY something came up positive.  SOMEONE actually found something!  I was also diagnosed with Vitamin B-12 deficiency along with folic acid deficiency also.  Lyme Disease is caused by a transfer of a bacteria when a tick bites  you.  There isn't a lot of research done on Lyme Disease and it causes an array of life long pain in many different ways.

For a cure the doctor told me that I would have to come in to his office for the next 28 days and get 2 shots of antibiotics in each butt cheek.  Today were my first 2 shots and believe me, that **** STINGS!  The doctor said since i have had Lyme Disease for a year and a half there may be some neurological, arthritis and other problems that may not be fixed when the Lyme Disease is treated.  Also, Dr Gayid warned me that since we would be attacking the Lyme Disease it would be trying to fight back to survive.  This pretty much means that my pain may go through the roof at any time and that my medication that i'm taking probably won't be able to stop it with out more pain treatment.

Now, I'm taking this very seriously and in a pessimistic fashion.  I am not going to relax or believe this is the end until ALL of my pain and pills are out of my life.  Knowing my luck the Lyme Disease is just a coincidence and there is a totally different reason for my pain.  I am still going to get injections into my hip and spine from the pain management doctor.  I am also going to see the Neurologist and Rheumatologist for more research and tests.  Like I said, I won't consider this done until ALL of the pain and pills are out of my life.
Hi Rocco;

You should start a new thread. It will be easier for members to respond. Tuck should be along sometime soon and I haven't seen Sharon in a very long time.
I'm glad you found the source of your pain. Lymes Disease can be painful.
Take care, Mollyrae
My story is LS SI too ,but I found a doctor to help .. The DRX 9000 is what is doing the trick, if you are in San Diego, Dr Mike Mountain is who you should use he has undone decades old pain.No surgery!!!
i herniated s1, l5 with sciatica pain.  i was totally incapacitated for 4 weeks before i could have the surgery and lost 25 lbs in that month, which i needed to lose.  i took percocet every 4 hours around the clock. i had surgery feb 2 which really helped relieve the pain and am in pool therapy 3 times a week.  i still have sciatica pain which my dr. said could last 2 to 6 months due to the inflammation.  i hope to return to work april 3.  i went to a nuero surgeon in toledo ohio with excellent reputation.  i am really tired of the sciatica pain which i only take 1 percocet daily.  2/3 of herniated disc  pain can be resolved with physical therapy whereas i was the 1/3 who needed surgery.  my suggestion is go to a neurosurgeon - it is their specialty.   good luck and i definitely feel for you when it comes to the pain.  no one knows how awful it is until they go through it.   i am a rn with my bsn, and i will always take people's pain complaints seriously and hopefully give them as much relief as possible
consider the physical therapy wqith traction,ultasound, and laser therapy this all wqill help you but not heal you.i have an herniated disc in l5 s1 it has been two years and still it hurts me.i dont knowq what to do more.i dont wqant to make surgery i am afraid.
I don't think I saw this on here so i will give my 2 cents.  I am 29 with severe/chronic sciatic pain from herniated l5-s1.  I had a nerve root decompression in 2/2004 and I was pretty much OK til about a year ago.   My buddy told me that his dad smokes marijuana for his back pain, so I gave it a try.  Now realize that there are different types of marijuana just like there are different types of liquor.  Just like the difference between red label and blue label Johnny Walker, if you get good, medical grade marijuana, it DOES help A LOT with back pain.  Don't listen to all the haters and non-believers who are brainwashed by a society that is brainwashed as well.  Marijuana is not dangerous, is not a gateway, and I pretty much can promise you it will help with chronic back pain.  
I have sharp stabbing dibilitating pain in my butt cheeks and the top of my legs that make my legs give out.  Can't hardly stand and walk in the morning and hollar ow ow ooow when trying to bend my core to sit.  I had a spinal fusion L4/L5 and a laminectomy 1 1/4 yr ago.  After the recuperation I felt like I had a new back for 4 or 5 months.  I am 61 and overweight (200) and 5'1/2", have severe arthritis and fibromyalgia since my mid 40's.  I've always lived on every diet, there is (people in my family who have weighed 350 - 500 lbs), feel I have bad genes (and habits).  Felt I should now  exercise, so was doing water aerobics because it doesn't hurt me.  Loved it!   Then pain started coming in my buttocks.  I was taking a Darvocet and Tizanidene and getting through the day.  After they kicked in I would have a fairly normal day with only occasionally stabbing.  But it comes back at night, probably cause the drugs have worn off.  It has gotten progressively worse week by week for the last 6 months and I had to give up exercising.  The back surgeon Dr. did xrays, then CT Scan.  It showed nothing that he could see to cause this problem.  Now he has me going to 4 weeks of physical therapy, it hurts terrible and doesn't seem to help, and taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen and Valium.  I felt I wasn't doing as good as on the Tizanidene so I'm stopping the Valiums and trying that with the Ibuprofen.  I will do this therapy, but I don't really expect it to help.  I go back to him in 6 weeks.  He said there was a slim chance a screw was minutely loose and causing this and he might have to go in and look.  OMG!  I think I'd need a 2nd and 3rd opinion first.  So depressing.
I am interested in this but have to save at moment to come back. Hubby wants to get on. I will be back to discuss this further w/u...Thanks for I am suffering in my lower back and need desperately to find reason. Karen
Hi, I was interested in ur post. I live in AR. and there's no way they r going to prescribe that here 4 pain. I would give it a try, but also have concerns of it being religiously correct. I don't want to be paranoid @ that or to worry that I am commiting a sin. I know it is grown so I would feel that it does come from the Earth and all, but then think did Satan corrupt it. I don't know it is a controversial issue. I believe it would work. I might come more to taking it if it were in pill form..not smoking it. It just seems so demeaning, but I am sure that it would work...just scared to try it.
     I just have to take med. that man made and it is pretty scary in itself..not knowing if it is damaging my internal organs or not...like LYRICA..I had my experience w/that and believe me I will never take that again. I took it 4 ...oh I would say 3 yrs. and gained 80lbs. taking it and it made my sed. rate(inflammation in my  body) elevated. Now, I am finally coming down some after 2 mos. off of it, but don't know what it has done to my insides...MMMM?
     @ sciatic pain...I have so much pain in my legs and my muscles are disappearing right b4 my eyes..It is a sight. I have these rings that r going in a symetrical circle around my shin area. It is slightly under my knee and it seems to be making an indention that u can see and feel. IT is scary and my friend who is a radiologist told me that I had something going on and that I needed to get it evaluated. I said I am trying, but getting no where. I go to a new Ortho tomorrow and I pray that he will access and dx what is going on in my body. I have looked it up on the net and found nothing on it, but something called atrophy. Do u know what it is or have u ever heard of something like that happening? Could it be something like Mitochondrial disease or SCI(due to my nerve supposedly being compressed by a screw(in my C5-C6 area)..that is what my Chiro friend said I had happening and needed it out...yeah..it is still in there and I am losing the use of my arms/legs...they are feeling so weak and unusable).It feels like I have been running a race and my arms/legs just r give out. My Chiro friend told me I would lose the use of both of them if I didn't get it out...still yet to get dx by NS or anyone 4 that matter but a bunch of titles like DDD of Cervical, Lumbar and Hip/Joint..Spinal Stenosis,Myofascial Pain, Spondylosis and Cervicalgia(never even saw anything @ that one), Fibro( in which I think misdiagnosed...something is definately wrong just need to get to bottom of it...not giving up..got to have some better life than this PAIN...oh...so much pain.
     It is not fair to my love ones who take care of me. I feel like such a burden and it is hard on marriage, but have a good guy that has stood w/me. I love him so much and my family 4 taking care of me, but I know it must be hard on them.
     I pray that all has relief and that GOD will take care of us and make our lives better. All I want is to be able to go fishing again...to cast that rod and reel...see that line tighten up w/a big ole catfish at the other end. My kids miss that and so do I. know..Lord Willing, I will someday be back on my feet again and having some kind of life.
     I just can get so depressed @ life these days. Life can be hard and so difficult to get through, but we just have to keep moving forward...keep trying to get to our goal of feeling better...we will. Take care and always GOD BLESS... Karen

I totally understand. I have an extra disk, and in 96 I had my L5 and L6 (the extra disk) operated on after they exploded. Either the surgeon, or the particles from the exploded disks (what surgeon said caused it) damaged the sciatic nerve to my left leg resulting in years of 24/7 pain and night cramps in both legs that leave me feeling not only sciatic pain but also  pain that makes the muscles feel like I have done 10,000 leg squats!
I went through years of specialists giving me: several different types of blocks, conditioning, and all the crap they said would help! Unfortunately  none of it helped, unless sitting in one spot for hours n hours - zoned out, spacey, and in no shape - - to do anything but sit there drooling all over myself, and still feeling the prickling up n down my leg, an ankle thats so sensitive to the slightest touch of anything, and the wonderful nighttime leg cramps that leave my leg muscles feeling like I did leg squats!
The only relief I have found in all the years and money was quinine that stopped the night leg cramps (which was a great relief in its self) but the bad news is that the gov took it off the american market so now i am back to also dealing with those related pains again!  I have yet to find any of the substitutions the specialists have suggested that actualy work!
I suggest that u ice (never heat) the area where the damage actualy is, not the area where the pain is felt. This only helps to reduce the swelling around the damaged area, giving me only a slight relief from the dull pain I have around the disk area only.
All the pain management specialist I have seen say the same thing- work throuh the pain (which they said wiould decrease with time! Which we know is BS because the pain just gets worse!),
build strength up in the area damaged! Nothing helped other than the quinine for the night cramps. Oh yea they said I could be on a regimen of pain killers - not an option for me, I can't be on narcotics and have the sharpness needed to continue to teach and reach the highly at risk high schoolers I deal with daily.

If u have found or ever find any solutions to help relieve any of the pains we feel PLEASE e mail  and let me know what it Is! ***@****

My pain is 24/7! It either the: tingling from my toes to the spot where the damage is  
Hello QueenB,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum.

Please note that the thread you have brought up to post on is over three years old. The original poster is no longer active in our community.

Please begin a new thread and make your comment new. Tacking on to an old post is not recommended. You will obtain much better responses by posting your own questions. I'll look forward to your new thread.

Peace,
~Tuck
my wife got an MRI and the results says disk dessication (desiccation) and mild posterior disk bulging she got nervous with it, what shall we do we this kind of problem?
I injured my back in 1973, since then I have had laminectomies at L2,3,4,5,5S1... basically I have had one surgery after another since I  was 22, I have now dealt with either 4 or 5 surgeons including neuro surgeons.  I now have a neuro stimulator implanted at the suggestion on the back surgeon I was dealing with and trusted....I have had this thing in my body now over 20 years, it does help a little with the burning in my legs but does nothing for my back at all.  I can't stand for more than 10 min without holding onto something to help keep me on my feet, I can't walk more than a block as my legs will give out and the pain in my back gets excrutiating. The biggest problem is that I have tried every pain medication I think there is. I now take narcotics, a lot of them...twice a day. I am on the strongest dose of a certain narcotic my PM Doctor says he can legally give me, I am still in severe cronic (chronic) pain 24 hrs. a day. Narcotics are not always the answer, they do not always help---they only get you hooked on drugs if they don't work. My life is hell, and has been for many years now,  I cannot work, I cannot go for the walks I used to love taking, I cannot get down to play with my grandchildren (I am now 60 years old) I am on so many different medications I feel like a drug addict.  I now have a neurologist wondering if over 20 years useing a neuro stimulator on the nerves in my spine  is causing the swelling in my brain that is helping to cause seizures I started haveing 3 years ago. I cannot have an MRI with the stimulator or wires & electrodes to my spine still implanted in my body, so they cannot tell for sure what the hell is happening.  In the midst of all this I had Cancer surgery on my kidney 2 1/2 years ago and had 2/3 of it removed on one side.   I know how depressing this can get, but I have a good loveing wife who stands by me through everything, without her I could have gotten to feel the way you are now, even through the pain I have a family that loves me and understands what I am going through and stand by me...without them I don't think I would be here right now and I have gone through everything you describe in your posting and then some. Life ***** and has for many years, but each day I have to find the strength to deal with the pain and it is not easy to do when you hurt so bad all you want to do is jump off a cliff,  it is possible to try to deal---I have done it for almost 40 years.  I hope you find either a doctor who can help, or the strength to try to live with the pain, it is not easy I know---and I don't know how long I will be able to keep dealing with this.  One day I know it will become too much to deal with, but I have been told by the doctors to go home and try to learn to deal with it. This is my life, it is not much of a life, it's extremely painful, and I can't do much of anything anymore, Most days you will find me lieing in bed with heat packs on my back, lower to upper.  Each day I ask for the strength to keep dealing and try to keep a smile for when anyone is near me...it's not much but it is my life.  This responce has taken me two days to get written, doing it in short sessions at time due to the pain.
I hope you find someone to help you, someone who may be able to stop your pain, it is worth carrying on if you have any family or not as things could be worse.  I hope you soon end up with a life with no pain, it is possible,  my thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Day to Day Guy 4782A
Does anyone else who suffers from buldging disc/sciatica get a dull ache in there lower abdomen at all? Could this b the sciatic nerve putting pressure on? I've had what the doctors believe to b sciatica for 5 months I had a fall at bowling landing flat on my bum and 3days after I woke up in terrible pain... My back doesn't hurt so much anymore but I do have the constant ache and craming from left buttock to thigh calve ankl and foot I'm takin codiene and have a mri booked for 28.01.2012 also had blood test done today for esp and cpr xx
Right now, I am having similar problem. I have been asked to go for a lumbar spine X-ray. According to what the Doctor has written on the examination request form, my clinical details; back pain L5. I am scared with all the information I have red. Please, what do I need to do now?
I have neuropathy from L3 - S1 which radiates to both calves, feet, and toes.In 2005 I had a lower lumbar laminectomy which was (for a short time) a blessing. I felt so good I joined a gym and consequently re-damaged my spine. I have tried many types of pain relief including NorCo and MS-Contin (which eventually caused "Diverticulitis", an excruciating condition). The one thing I receive a great deal of relief from is my T.E.N.S. Unit. I was given the option of having a Neuro-Stim Implant but I refused. I don't want ANY foreign objects in my body if at all possible (especially a man made device which may be prone to failure). The external TENS unit performs much the same without the risks of invasive surgery . I hope this helps.      
I had L4-5 fusion in 2009. Since then I have severe bladder/bowel pain in my pelvis.   Everything from the fusion site down to my feet actually.hurts. I've been to urologists, gastroenterologist, urogynecoligist, neuro, you name it and I've been there and have had every torturous test they could do on me with no reason found for thus horrid pain. I can't work or even do ADLs   It's ruined my life.  Next is a spinal cord stim trial.  My nfeurosurion who did the surgery says the fusion looks good and basically sent me to pain mgmt and that was it. I'm on Norco 10/325 and 30 mg if morphine twice a day and still can't get the pain under control.  It's worse than labor. Has anyone else experienced this?  I just don't know what to do anymore.  God bless.
hi hope things are better for you  ***@**** i am trying a alternative for nerve pain let me know if you would like to know the mix take care
Just a alternative will put up in a month after trial i have l5 l4 nerve damage
with a colon condition so will let you know how i go