Pain Management Community
LEGS AND FEET COLDNESS AND PAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

LEGS AND FEET COLDNESS AND PAIN

I recently slept on a hard bed, next day my back hurt and then out of nowhere my entire lower half (butt, legs, calves and feet) began feeling as if they were cold.  I thought putting on more clothes would calm my legs and feet down, but no matter how much clothes I put I could not get the coldness pain out of my legs and feet. Now 4 months later, I can not go into any cold place or my legs and feet will hurt so bad that I just want to cut them off.  I have to live with my at 80 degree's and have to wear tights and 2 pairs of pants and 3 to 6 pairs of socks just to keep the air from touching me. This does not stop the pain and coldness entirely, but it's the only thing that helps.  If I'm in the sun, they feel so much better.  I sleep with heating pads on my feet and an electric blanket on my legs...What can be causing this?  Can it be my back pain or my RLS....Please doctors help me figure this medical mystery out...It's as if something malfunctioned in my body and now my feet feel as if they are frozen, but I have signs of any conditions on my body that would indicate poor circulation, blood clots are diabetic....I have been to every type of doctor and had every test done..no answers.  If I could live in the hot sun, I would be in less pain.  Air (cold or fan) seems to make it start hurting...
Tags: Pain
The docs don't check in on this forum - for that, you have post on the "pay for answer" forums.  However, if you are diabetic and have these kinds of symptoms, your blood circulation would appear to be greatly compromised.  If you aren't getting good answers from your current doctor, then you MUST find another one who will take this problem seriously - as it should be.

Keep doing everything you can to stay moving and walking to keep your blood circulating as best as you can.  Great idea with the heating pads for when you aren't moving around.  But find another doc FAST!
Thanks so much for caring and telling me that doc's don't reply.  Just to know someone cares really touched me. I know you can't help, but letting me know no doc's are on this forum is appreciated.  I have had my circulation checked and it was fin, no diabetis..I'm not a diabetic, so I don't know what caused this, except it's a symptom to RLS..It's not my back, I went to a back surgeion to rule it out and he did.  I'm going to see about going to the Univ. of Tn..to see if a doc can help me there...I hope to have an appointment soon..Thank you.
Have you had NCV (nerve conduction velocity) studies done.  You may have some sort of nerve impingement due to a disc or vertebrae being tweaked.  It's rare that it would happen bilaterally, but it could happen.  Maybe you could have a dr. prescribe something for nerve pain (Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurontin) and see if that takes the symptoms away.  Let us know.
I had a nerve test done in June w/a neurolgist, he found no nerve damage.  He does not know what's causing this coldnes and is referring me to Vanderbelt to see if they can help me..It's a long shot, but I have to go see.  I doubt they will find anything either.  I'm trying to figure out how I can live like this..Not so sure I can for much longer..It's so painful.  I have to stay in atleast 85 degrees or above to not aggravate my legs and feet and even then it hurts.  It's like my legs and feet are empty inside and there's nothing there that would normally keep a persons legs naturally warm.  Who know's. It's a mystery and I can only hope that Vanderbelt can solve it....I have tried Lyrica and Neurontin, didn't help.  Used to take Cymbalta (about two months) couldn't stand it..I will let you know what the Doc't at Vanderbelt tell me..I don't know when I go, they said it could be up to two months...
other things to consider would be Reynauds syndrome, RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy, or causalgia).  Another thing to try would be a blood pressure patch applied to the lower leg or ankle that would cause vasodilation and increase blood flow and heat to the area.  Please keep us posted.
It definately sounds like Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome, also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (RSDS / CRPS) to me.

See my replies to:
Hoku in the Burning, Excruciating Pain in My Upper Thighs, Hurts to Touch thread
sofa weight in the ice cream headache all over thread
nance77418 in the leg burning thread

Changes in temperature, both hot and cold, are part of this syndrome.

So far, this makes five of us here with this supposedly rare syndrome. You are not alone in your pain.