LOWER LUMBAR PAIN RELIEF
What is the difference in nerve block for back pain and epidurals for pain related to back issues?
Is there a progression to the different procedures toward lower lumbar pain management  that pain management doctors usually follow if epidurals do not help? Like epidural, then nerve block, RFA's, then PCEA's.
Not sure I can answer all your questions but here is what I have had. Many years ago I had epidural injections in the spine for degenerative joint disease. My understanding is that they inject a steroid medication to prevent swelling of the area but it is localized to particular vertebrae. I had a couple of these injections and I cannot remember if they helped, it has been many years since. The nerve block or RFA (radio frequency obliteration), the area is more for the muscle as I understand. I have had at least 3 nerve blocks and they helped in the past but do not always work. The latest one that I had did not take. The RFA's deaden the muscle (or so it feels) but the muscle does grow back and so does the nerve involved. (Epidurals are steroid injections to the spine area of the back to prevent swelling)
I may not have all my fact correct here but do some research on theses medical procedures. I don't know what a PCES is so you could educate me there.
Medication only works on the brain perception of pain and not on the nerve itself. Depending on your condition that needs to be treated. Usually the doctor will treat the painful area first but not always depending on the severity of the condition. Wish I could give more information.