Pain Management Community
Left arm pain & swelling of hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Left arm pain & swelling of hand

My 56 year old husband woke up yesterday complaining of numbness in his left arm & shoulder. Today he says it is now both arms with pain & numbness. 3 pm and left had is now noticeably swollen.  Being Superbowl Sunday, I can't get him to do anything about it, but I am concerned as it is getting worse.  If it were a result of sleeping wrong on it, it would be better now, not worse.  Any ideas what could be causing this?  No heavy lifting, or snow shoveling, so we cant think of an obvious reason for it.
His age and lack of exercise make me concerned.  I fiture tho, if it were a stroke , it would have occured by now. (LOL).
Thanks for the imput.
Gloriah
Avatar n tn
That sounds like something that should have been checked out right away, and I hope you did.  

As far as strokes, there are the slow bleeding ones so dont think that strokes always happen quickly.

Symptoms like the ones you described should be checked sooner than later though.