Pain Management Community
Left chest pain when moving left shoulder/arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have been having these chest pains tha seemed to be like anxiety, These have been going on for about 3 months now, a month and a half ago I was trying to go to sleep and the pain came again, my heart would beat fast and it would just be similar to anxiety symptoms. I went to the hospital they did a electrocardiogram and told me everything seemed fine, my heart rate was fast but they thought it was only because of the anxiety. I started eating better and I am now taking a good multivitamin thinking If i do have anxiety that this will help, it did help most of the symptoms I was getting are gone ( feeling dizzy, tired, tingling skin burning skin etc)

Now the only thing that hasnt gone is the random chest pains its only on the left side, sometimes it will feel like its in my breast other times its just lower then my breast, its not really sharp but its there and it bothers me, the pain never lasts for more then a minute and seems to go away when i try to not think about it.

The only things that i am really worried about is that I get this stinging pai i get if i move my left shoulder a certain way its a weird pain that never lasts too long maybe a minute. It scares me when it happens. The pain will either be almost in the middle of my chest but more on the side of my left breast or it will be just under my shoulder bone in the front.  The pain will not show up if i didnt move my arm a certain way, not always the same movement but always that arm. I would like to know what is causing this because I am not sure it is only anxiety.
Hello Sweettarrt,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you have found us but sorry to hear about your undiagnosed pain.

I am not an expert. You are young and the likelihood that your symptoms are cardiac related are slim but not impossible. In my opinion they could be related to the pain in your shoulder and actually be referred pain, meaning they are from one location but felt in another location. Or they could be as you suspect, stress.  Or possibly you could have a fibrocystic breast which is a benign breast condition that can cause a lot of pain.

At any rate I think you should get the shoulder pain evaluated. It may not be connected to your chest pain at all. You won't know until you have a diagnosis for a medical practitioner. I encourage you to make an appointment with your PCP or an Orthopedic. They will be able to determine what may be going on in your shoulder. Be assertive and don't take "stress" as an answer until they have ruled out other possibilities.

I will look forward to hearing from you again.

Take Care,
Tuck