Pain Management Community
Left hand knuckle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Left hand knuckle pain

I was rubbing/massaging my left hand last night during dinner and all of a sudden I had a sharp pain at the base of my index finger's knuckle.  It's hurt ever since and there's some swelling.  Of course the pain has travelled up the arm - may be due to the fact that I'm 'babying" the left hand now.  But, I wear a ring on my left thumb and it was a bit of a task to remove it this morning because of some swelling.  Any suggestions?
Tags: Pain, knuckle, hand
Yeah you had better go and see a doctor,it could be any number of things.
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am sorry to hear about your painful joint.

RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation is the cardinal treatment for an injury. However "rubbing" should not have injured your knuckle. It may be possible that the rubbing triggered an existing problem. But stranger things have happened.

If it continues to be bothersome or becomes worse by all means consult your PCP. Please let us know how you are doing.

Best of luck and Take Care,
~Tuck