Pain Management Community
Lidocain; Showing up in drug testing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Lidocain; Showing up in drug testing

I was required to submit for a random drug screening for my job, and the results showed that I had recently ingested a large amount of cocaine. I have never had a history of any sort of drug abuse, which is why I still have my job, but there is a negative mark on my work history.
     This is my question; A day or so before my test, I applied a lidocain patch to my back that I recieved from my Grandmother for a reccuring backache. Could this patch have affected my drug test as a positive read for cocaine?
never heard of that but I guess its possible
except...
Standard pre-employment UA's dont show "large amounts" they either test positive or negitive
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum.

I am sorry that this has happened to you. Urine drug screens are looking for narcotics, THC and similar substances. Lidocaine is from the "cain" drug family of local numbing agents and not the "caine" drug family of cocaine an opiate. In spite of the similarity in names, these drugs are not very closely related chemically and their chemical structures are very different. Wearing a lidocaine patch would not have produced a positive drug test.

None of us have the exact reasons why drug screens are positive or negative when they should be the opposite. I can tell you that there are statistics that claim drug screens can be as high as 60-70% inaccurate.

I'd like to suggest that you just let this go as there is nothing you can do to change or challenge that test. I know it haunts you as it would me. As long as your employer recognizes that this test was inaccurate you should not experience any negative consequences.

Again I am sorry that this has happened to you.

Peace,
Tuck
Tuckamore is correct...Lidocaine will not produce a positive drug test for Cocaine. The are not in the same family of drugs even though they have simular names.

If the drug test came up positive for "large amounts" of Cocaine then your system had Cocaine in it. These test are very accurate.

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Well wishes,
Mollyrae
If you feel like the test was in error, you could always try to get retested and note your lidocaine usage.
As an employer, if someone fails a drug test, they have the right for another drug test. However most employers require this within days of the first failure and also that the employee pay for the second test. Of many that have failed over the years, usually pot, I've only had one ask for a second test, but again failed.

Obvious your job is important. If you know that this test is failed and since your employer knows you could ask for another test. If too much time has past, it may not
solve the doubts in your employers mind, depending on the drug.

If you want to clear it up I would see your GP right away or the Doctor that tested you and discuss it. However, if you feel things are OK with your job, may be best left alone and not cause any added problems. I can tell you your employer probably has shades of doubts, even if they remain unspoken, so you'll have to decide.

Errors do happen. Still, the patch you used wasn't prescribed, so that would be seen in my eyes as an employer as drug abuse, so always be careful what you use even if it's for pain. If your job requires drug testing, don't risk it and see a Doctor about pain management.  You also want to be careful about letting your employer know about medical problems you have. If you list prescribed meds and pass your test, your employer will not know of any issues. Obvious, if it gets bad, you may have to discuss it. I lost my job of 21 years due to my illness...then just went to work for myself.

I have a nerve disorder and take many pain meds. Because of being in a pain program I have to be drug tested by my Doctor at least every six months. I once ran out of meds and had old valium that was prescribed  two years ago that I took. So I failed my test, because it wasn't a current prescription. I did show her the bottle and got a warning, but told if again, she would no longer write my meds. They are getting really tough with laws regarding strong opiates. Overall that's good, but stray from regualations, many in pain could find themselves without meds.