Pain Management Community
Looking for pain management doctor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Looking for pain management doctor

My wife is in desperate need of a new pain management doctor in either Portland, OR or Seattle, WA.  He current doctor lacks compassion and is more concerned with lowering her dosage of pain medication as opposed to providing relief.  Just today he was very condescending and told her she needs to suck it up and power through the pain.  She is in constant pain to the point of contemplating suicide.  I am scared I am going to lose my wife.  We want to find a new doctor, but it can be a daunting task to find a new doctor willing to take on a pain management patient.  Any help or resources will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Andrew
Hi there..I am sorry to hear about your wife and the issues with this particular Dr..I live in VA so cannot help with any names.:(

May I ask what is the nature of your wife's pain? Is she on a particularly high dosage of medication?

Unfortunately the laws are getting tighter both Federally and State wide with pressuring Drs. to make sure patients have a comprehensive program to help lower pain. An opiate should only be one small piece of the puzzle. As well as they have to "prove" to the power's that be why someone needs the amount of medication they are on...

Hopefully you can find a Dr. who is both compassionate but also wants to provide a wide range of treatments for her pain...

Good luck..
My wife had spinal surgery a few years ago to replace a ruptured disc at L5/S1 and she also has herniated discs at L3/L4 and L4/L5.  The surgery did resolve her sciatica, but she still has chronic low back pain.  She is currently prescribed duragesic 50 mcg/hr and norco 10/325 for breakthrough pain.  The doctor has been decreasing the norco and now she is unable to manage the breakthrough pain.  She also sees a psychiatrist to help with the emotional and mental aspects of chronic pain.

The laws in Washington state have recently tightened the prescribing recommendations for opiate pain killers which is why her doctor has decreased her norco.